Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Gents,

Who makes the best hand held priming tool?

What features make it the best?

High volume reloaders?

Thanks,
MS

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My favorite is the 1st Gen RCBS hand priming tool,though I currently suffer it's "upgrade".

I like the control of "feel"................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hey mackay...

been using the lee auto prime for 30 years at least...i have heard rumors of safety problems but never experienced a problem... i wear safety glasses anytime i handle primers...

newer systems might have advantages... i may never find out as i have a system thats never let me down....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I really like the the lee model.One of the few things that lee makes that isn't just a cheap get-you-by reloading tool.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also like the AutoPrime, and have heard rumors of problems, but never had one myself. I also like the "feel" I get from this tool.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hornady makes a tool I prefer over the old RCBS or the Lee. (The Lee is actually fine in many respects; it just is too small to be comfortable in my hands for long sessions. The RCBS is okay, but I've never cared for the way the plastic parts wanted to cause things to hang up; could have simply been a bad specimen.) I haven't used other brands.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
RCBS has worked well for me the last 15 years. I did however noticed it only seats the primer fully using RCBS shell holders. No experience with other tools.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
RCBS

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The best would be the SInclair. I have used the Lee model but didn't like it. I use the RCBS bench mounted tool.Rick.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by ricksmith
The best would be the SInclair. I have used the Lee model but didn't like it. I use the RCBS bench mounted tool.Rick.

Amen.
I got rid of my two Lee Autoprime tools, and bought two Sinclair Primer Seating tools; one set up for large rifle primers, and one for small rifle primers.
I don't think there is a better one made. But, maybe there is, I just don't know about it. Seating primers with the Sinclair tool is about as good as it gets, in my view.
YMMV however.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
OK, I can see how you guys might post Lee as best value for the $, but really - best period??? I bought one to try since I wanted one for Lg and one for Sm primers, and I personally would trade it for ANY other handprimer that I've ever seen.

I would personally like to have a Sinclair, but haven't been able to justify it since the two RCBS primers (newer model that uses shellholders, not the universal "thing") that I have work so well.

If anyone wants another Lee, I'll trade it with the shellholders for another RCBS or Hornady or ??? I'll even pay shipping both ways! Just shoot me a pm.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
K&M makes a good priming tool.

I hate to disagree about the Sinclair priming tool being the best as I own one. It is the best if using for one type primer in a given case it's not a user friendly if switching as you have to adjust seating depth with shims every time you change shell holder/primer holder etc. You get 4 shims with the priming tool I'm suprised the others that give the tool high marks forgot to mention that part but you get good instruction on how to adjust depth.

Last edited by roper; 11/01/09.

USMC
Life Member VFW
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As the boys in the know have said its the Sinclair.

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to have the Sinclair (it used Lee autoprime shellholders) but unloaded it. Putting a primer a time in it really slows down the process.

I've wore out 3 Lee Autoprimes over the years... and they're hell on your thumb...

Last one I bought was the Hornady. I like that it works more like squeezing a pair of pliers. It has a good feel to it as well.

But my favorite priming tool is my RL550B. As an extra added bonus it can load 300 rounds of CF rifle ammo an hour pretty easily laugh

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I use a pair of K&M tools. Nice equipment at a reasonable price.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
An older model RCBS...does what its supposed to without drama or fuss..

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Thanks for the info so far.

I had a couple of hand me down Lee hand held jobs and in one 3 month period I was home I broke both. The pot metal gave out. I had an RCBS but it seemed to have disappeared during a move a few years back.

I use a number of products from Sinclairs and think highly of their stuff but as has been stated, loading the primers one at a time is a pain in the arse.

I ordered another RCBS last night and hopefully when I get home (working out of the country) it will be waiting for me.

I tend to load in batches and usually try to load a decent amount at once. I am guessing the RCBS may be the ticket.

Interesting comments and observations..

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like the RCBS unit that uses the primer strips and has the universal shell holder. Very convenient. Never had a bad experience with it.

Weiners are health food - My dad
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I use a Hornady but took the tray of it. Have also used RCBS before and the handles weakened and broke.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The RCBS is a good priming tool. The K&M is a very good tool. But if you want the best. In my opinion the Sinclair tool is by far the best of the bunch.

PaPa260

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (219DW, 1234, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 50 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,455
Posts18,529,080
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.