-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have been shopping for a new rifle and want a good reliable rifle that can handle our Oregon hunting seasons. I am willing to spend the money for a good rifle but have heard horror stories about the Kimber. I really like the new Wincester (FN) model 70 line up for a accurate hunting rig.

Your thoughts...

and before you all start on the pre 64 band wagon, I own 3.

I am looking for a new rifle built with pride in America, accurate, weather resistant, tough, and reliable. I have three sons and four grand children that would love to own this new gun some day and I would like to see it make it through the test of time.

Heck do they still make rifles like that?

Thanks for your input.

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
elkhunter,

Seems your leaning towards a SS rifle with a synthetic stock?

The new (FN) M70's that I have seen have been all blue and walnut.

I suggest you search here for comments in previous threads about the new M70's.

From what I have seen what with owning pre64 M70's since 1957 and then M70 Classics that I prefer the Kimbers myself. I have bought five Kimbers and they operate better for me than the new 70's.

To each his own.

Of the new rifles out today I consider the Kimber 84M Montana to be a landmark rifle.

Next year that rifle will be out in a long action version.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Elk, I have a new Model 70 but it may be one from the old stuff. Someone here will know. It is blue with a 24" barrel. It's a 7WSM and it has the plastic stock that people on this forum gripe about but I don't think it's so bad for a hunting tool. The workmanship is very good and I can't complain about the quality either. I has the old Model 70 adjustible trigger which was set and glued at the factory to 96.4#. Took only a minute to scrape it off and tune the trigger to under 3#. Came with a Simmons cheap a** scope for about $500 on one of the auctions. Hit the paper at 100 yards and shot OK for the first time out. I need to replace the scope an tune it in. The 7MM WSM may drop dead one day but so will we all. This caliber really packs a whallop. I have loaded more ammo. to shoot and wring it out but it is deer season and time to play for real until January. I don't know if you would be intersted in something like this but I think it's a very good deal. IMHO BT

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I made a bad choice of buying a new FN featherweight in 7mm-08 for my wife, I could of bought it for ME! Shoot lights out, 1/2-3/4" groups with hand rolls and 1" all day with factory fodder.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Now that I've been able to shoot my Extreme Weather 300WSM, I like it a lot. Trigger is still heavy, but feels very good. Accuracy, has a lot of potential and likes 165 TSXs a lot. Was shooting off a bench using a bipod and nothing in back and had 180 E-Tips around 1.25" and the TSXs under 1" with two touching. Didn't have a chance to test all the factory loads I had (due to time and a sore shoulder).

Rifle feels great and no complaints about it.
[Linked Image]

Got it close, then turned it over for a group with TSXs
[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I only have a sample of one of my own,and I've talked about it a fair amount;but it's a 270FW that I have had since March or April;it is easily as accurate as any 270 I own(5-6),and has held POI in the wood stock since I did final zero with it last spring.Nor does it shift POI clear to 300 yards when shot with a tight sling.

I have been working some with 130 gr Northforks recently,and have tried them in two other 270's with so-so results;the other day I tried the NF's in the FN M70 270,and it cloverleafed 3 of them...the rifle is earning a permanent place over here,provided I don't cook the barrel shooting it too much.

Overall I am pleased with it.

I have shot a friend's FN FW 300 WSM;it is a very well-balanced rifle, of good weight for a 300 mag,not too light and not too heavy;recoils is brisk but moderate,and even though a bit fussier than my 270,it shoots very well with 165 Fusions.I have not tried handloads in it yet.

IMHO FN seems to have done a good job with the barrels and bedding of these rifles.If I wanted another,I would not hesitate to get one.

BTW this is hardly a "test" but twice I have deliberately left the 270 out in the rain for a couple-3 hours,then shot it as is;no POI shift at all.I have never had it out of the stock.

Last edited by BobinNH; 11/02/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by elkhunter130
I have been shopping for a new rifle and want a good reliable rifle that can handle our Oregon hunting seasons. I am willing to spend the money for a good rifle but have heard horror stories about the Kimber. I really like the new Wincester (FN) model 70 line up for a accurate hunting rig.

Your thoughts...

and before you all start on the pre 64 band wagon, I own 3.

I am looking for a new rifle built with pride in America, accurate, weather resistant, tough, and reliable. I have three sons and four grand children that would love to own this new gun some day and I would like to see it make it through the test of time.

Heck do they still make rifles like that?

Thanks for your input.

I have one of the new FN Model 70's in 7-08. Load development was the quickest on record, one range session. Two different loads shot 3 shots into 1/2" groups each.
This is my first, and not the last, Win Model 70 for me. The folks in SC did a great job building my rifle; glass bedded at the lug, free floating barrel, good workmanship, great trigger, what's not to like? Nothing. It's a keeper.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm still waiting for my extreme weather 243 win. to show up. The McMillan compact EDGE stock that I have waiting for this rifle is gathering dust...

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am not a gun expert by any means but I have had great luck with my All weather extreme in 270 and have carried it all fall no shots but it has weathered fine and shoots great. Someday I would like to take the gun and maybe put it in a new stock but until then its a solid hunting tool and it shoots too. grin

I am toying with a the idea of a new FW but have not decided on caliber yet but there will be one in my cabinet in the future.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Couldn't be happier with my FW 30-06. Developed a load real quick that shoots just under .75", probably could have got a little better but I stopped there. Mounted a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 in Talley one peice mounts with a Montana sling, makes for a nice looking package.
[Linked Image]

Proud supporter of georgiacarry.org
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well I have looked at the Kimber all weather, the Sako 85 Grey Wolf, and the the FN Win in all weather trim.

The Sako and Kimber were nice. Weight really is not an issue with me, I will carry just about any weight rifle, I like a little heavier rifle because(I feel)they are more stable.

I think I am going with the M70. I have been a Winchester guy for years why change now. I like the WSM .270 and I like the stainless action/barrel and I need a good weatherproof/tough/bedded stock. It is going to get a Leupold VX III 4x12 with a 40mm tube for glass and I still need a load.

Any Ideas for loads, bullets (I like Nosler Partition but am open to new stuff), powder?

"A .358 Norma Mag is not for everyone but then again Bear hunting isn't either."

Unknown Bear guide on the Kodiak coast
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Tony, did you chronograph the 168's from the M70 yet?

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
When I get a chance I'd like to chrono a few loads from it and get it in a lead-sled to see what it can actually do. Might not be able to for a few weeks, but hopefully sooner than that.

Think I might keep the VX-II, which is a bit of a surprise to me. On 9x it is certainly more clear than the other two VX-III and VX-3 3.5-10x40 (when set to 10x). Might send it in to look at the power ring, since it is too hard to turn, and for a CDS dial... and call the whole thing good.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Finally got my FW .270 yesterday. Had to deer hunt this morning, so was not able to get to the range until after noon. Shot most of a box of 150 gr Fusions through it, the last three had two touching and one "flyer" about an inch out. It was very windy, expect better results with more rounds down the tube and better conditions. It does not feel as "solid" as my pre-64's, but seems well put tougher. Stock is darker than I like, but attractive. My only complaint so far is the bottom metal - floor plate doesn't fit tight - but I think I can correct that easily enough. Mechanically, functioned perfectly.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

177 members (1OntarioJim, 320090T, 7887mm08, 257 roberts, 6mmCreedmoor, 3dtestify, 18 invisible), 1,097 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,093
Posts18,522,144
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.