-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well Jeff, you're a hard man. I hope you and yours escape any human failings that can lead to tragic outcomes. Life isn't always Ozzie & Harriet but most of us soldier on.

You might also reflect on Winston Churchill's "Black Dog". Chamberlain might have been "normal" but I'm sure glad Winston took over when he did.

I'd rather read any Hemmingway than any Obama because Ernest looked ahead to what we are stuck with now:

"The first panacea for a mismanaged nation is inflation of the currency; the second is war. Both bring a temporary prosperity; both bring a permanent ruin. But both are the refuge of political and economic opportunists. "

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Trying to save an alcoholic is a draining exercise. It drains you emotionally and financially until you wake up 1 morning to find your project passed out in a puddle of puke. Then you realize that all your effort has been for nothing. Sorry? Of course, they are always sorry. But, at some point, sorry don't mean $hit anymore.

Somebody once told me that living with an alcoholic was like living with a time-bomb, 'cause it was always ticking and just a matter of time before it went boom. I decided that, when it comes to drunks (unlike Gods forbid, the drunk is my child) I'm not going to be the EOD guy ever again.

Jeff

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My only question is how in the world he could have made those incredible shots with rifles that couldn't shoot a 150 gr TSX?

Things that make you go hmmmmm....

wink

Seriously though, there can be no doubt that Hemingway was a brilliant author and lived in the golden age of safari hunting. There is debate over his truthfulness when it came to his shots, but I for one have to read Green Hills of Africa every year. I love it.

The bottom line is the poor SOB was a nihlist. He didn't have anything to hope for and his literature communicates it. He didn't have anything in life but what he could squeeze from the people and drugs closest to him, and when he came to the end of his rope he realized it couldn't go on. He was without hope in the world, and undoubtedly left those around him without hope, but he was in a bad spot himself none the less.

I respect his intellectual honesty... I've had my struggles with drugs, alcohol, and using people and it is a dark place to be. There but by the grace of God go I... if I'd have not been brought out of that kicking and screaming I'd have wished for the courage to kill myself too.

All of that having been said, he still was an SOB.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have known a few alcoholics and in school a few drug addicts....yet I would never wish them harm in any way, and feel sorry for their illness/disease as it must be hell living like that, and not being able to control it, as it controls them.

At the same time, it is not easy for those around them.

It's great seeing those who were afflicted overcome it and lead a good life and stay clean.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
He was a hell of a writer and he wasn't any sissy.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Depression is a disease just as cancer, the flu, etc. He lived in a time without MAOI's, tricyclics, etc and depression was known to be treated by inserting an icepick in the frontal lobe of the brain.......I'd drink and whore at will facing that dilema.
Arguably alcoholism could be a disease as well and most certainly both have a genetic component in their predisposition.
Some of us can't help what we are handed.....

And Revs. Jim Baker and Jimmy Swaggart had both in spades...not to mention poor taste.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree about a genetic component as surely some individuals would be better served to never trying alcohol, same goes for drugs and tobacco. How can one judge another w/o having lived in their shoes? Whatever the circumstances. I tried my best to get friends over the years to get off alcohol and drugs when it ruled and destroyed their lives and the ones around them.

Just as I have tried to get my mother to stop smoking cigarettes, it's far easier to be on the outside, as surely it's not easy for users to quit any substance when they have a dependence problem.

On Depression, yes there are wonderful treatment options for those who need it, yet I also know that the providers of medication push their pills are many that do not need it, just as ADD/HD meds in children.

Thank goodness we do have the technology that has advanced since the 'icepick' days!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My brother gave me a 1896 on Sunday -- all matching -- very nice shape -- the wood is pretty perfunctory, but it is completely factory original. I won't be sporterizing it. If I want a newer version a T3 Tikka would be my choice.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lucky dog! You can get a no drill mount from B Square that puts a long eye relief scope on the rear sight boss. Works like a champ for us old blind farts and doesn't modify the rifle at all.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My progressive lens glasses still let me see the irons for now, so I should be good to go for a deer rifle. Thing sure is a looonnngg sucker.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You will need a higher front sight for hunting loads (Brownells)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

400 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 260madman, 44 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,859
Posts18,478,555
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.