Print Thread
Hop To
T
Torque Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I have had great success with these bullets on whitetail out of my 35 whelen. Have any of you used this bullet in elk? I am traveling to Colorado in December to fill a cow tag. I am getting 1 3/4" groups at 200 Yards using 56g of reloader 15, so the accuracy is there. I just want to make sure the bullet will perform well on an animal this size.

Last edited by Torque; 11/03/09.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can come close if that's ok. I've used the 200 NBT's out of the 338/06 on elk and they've worked incredibly well.

Personally, I feel they'll do great for you!

Light em up

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I called the Nosler guys 10 years ago when I first started loading for the Whelen and asked the same question. The guys there all said the same thing. It's a great deer bullet, but the Partition is a better 35 caliber elk bullet for less than broadside shots. Not many broadside shots out of more than a dozen. I stuck with the 250 grain Hornady or Partition. They've worked great with much less bloodshot meat than all the other calibers I've used on elk.

I was also just getting into the 338-06 at that time and asked about elk bullets for that caliber. They said the 200 grain BT in 338 was of stouter construction and would work well for elk. I never tried them, but finally did get around to using the 200 grain Accubond on a couple cows 2 or 3 years ago with great performance, similar to that of the 250s in the Whelen. Full penetration, like I want, with minimal meat damage. That's a big deal to me after loosing a couple of quarters to bloodshot from high velocity 225 grain Partitions from my 338WM. The WM stays home while the more sedate calibers in the '06 and 308 families go hunting. I lost absolutely no meat from a cow taken last December with a 280 and 160 grain Partitions.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good info there Taz. I used to tote a 340 about everywhere, even wore out a couple of tubes. Way likey my lighter 338/06 as it does what I need done and it's more than a bit more user friendly...grin

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would rather have a little blood shot meat, than no meat at all. I can't for the life of me figure out why guys are so hung up on meat loss when it is so minimal in the grand scheme of hunting expenses. Now if you shoot them in the butt, that is different. I have hunted side by side with guys that refuse to punch shoulders and go home empty, because they couldn't get a broadside shot. If they do get a broadside shot in the lungs, the the animal always runs off or gets shot by another hunter. Then they complain that they sure hate tracking or losing animals. I just don't get that mentality at all. Punch the shoulders, lose a bit of meat, punch your tag and be happy.

The 225 ballistic tips will work FABULOUS on elk or anything else. Nothing is going to shrug off 225 grains of bullet at 2,500-2,600 fps. The Whelen isn't fast enough to worry about bullet blow up. I have seen them kill elk at .338 speeds. Kills are amazing, so go forth and kill elk from any angle (within reason of course). Nosler wants you to buy the more expensive partition ;o) I would NEVER use a partition in a slow moving round like the Whelen. you will get pencil holes through the critter in my experience and a tracking job, unless you break the shoulders. I like lots of internal trauma, so give me ballistic tips. I couldn't care less if a bullet exits an animal. You have confidence in your load, so run with it. That is far better than a little heavier constructed bullet. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I saw first-hand what happened to a running cow got tagged by a 338 NBT across the back. She looked like someone had shoved a hand grenade up her arse and pulled the pin. Ruined probably 30lb of meat. I recommend the partions simply because of deeper penetration on non-broadside shots and you don't waste half as much meat. Just my $0.02.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have taken a couple of elk with the 225 BT in the Whelen. One cow was hit in the back at about 25 yards or so, down instantly. The other was a rag head that was hit just at the last rib on the right side; the bullet came out just in front of the left shoulder. The animal stopped, turned and was hit again behind the right shoulder, he fell immediately. The bullet broke a couple ribs going in and coming out. He was about 25-35 yards off also. Performance was really as expected, and similar to other elk hit with an 8MM Rem. or 338 using 200 and 210 grain partitions respectively.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't shoot them in the back and you don't loose 30 lbs. of the BEST loin meat ;o) Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i have just started loading this bullet in my 358 norma mag and just found out they quiet making it so i might try the accubond has anyone tryed it yet

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Wasn't me doing the shooting Flinch. My hunting buddy was the "nut behind the trigger". We share the meat though and it did shrink our portions considerably. I personally shoot Barnes X's or partitions through my 264.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Based on a sample and failure of one, I would hardly recommend the 35 225 BT for anything bigger than deer.

[Linked Image]

After slicing the red-backed vole being held in the mouth of a red fox neatly in half, the 225 (at 10 o'clock) ventured into the throat of the fox and out the back. Bits of vole, fox, and Nosler BT were scattered far and wide upon the snow. The 35 BT was not even in the same league as the 200 grain 338, several of which are also pictured, recovered from much more substantial targets.

The 225 AB is a much better bullet for the 35s which can handle a bullet that long.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 71 invisible), 3,300 guests, and 1,363 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,435
Posts18,528,611
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.