Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I was out over the weekend doing some bow hunting in n.y.s.
I have a ground blind set up over a well used trail and for the last few hunts I did not see a deer or bear.
I was out on Monday Morning in the ground blind and about 8;30 AM I hear a large blue bird behind me sound it like some one was hammering a nail into the tree,I did look to the rear and here he was beating on the tree bark:
I must of watch him for a least 2 to 3 min: and when I turned my head back to the shooting window there is a small basket 4 pointer looking into the blind window about 13 Ft. from me.I was shock he did approch the blind on a blind spot of the corner between the windows I never heard or seen him comming.I am sitting there bow in hand and tried to lean away from the window and i started to draw the bow back NO WAY he heard my elbow scuff the rear of the blind and it was all over.The blind works outstanding too bad i did not see him comming otherwise a 5 to 6 yard shot.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I love my ground blinds - about the only way to take an antelope is a ground blind near a water hole. As for deer, if you can find a trail between the feeding and bedding areas they can be dynomite. I've had deer come within 2-3 yard of my blinds, they know the blind is there and not right, but they quickly become accustomed to them and then don't pay any attention to them. I've been within 20 yards of 4 or 5 dozen deer this year in my blind (probably some of the same ones over and over) and have just had a blast watching them from such close range. And if you do happen to fall asleep you just fall off your stool instead of dropping 15 feet from a tree!

Last edited by centershot; 11/05/09.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
F
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
I had the camo nettting up on the sides and the rear window closed i still can't see how he saw my head move in the blind and was wearing a camo head net.
one smart buck

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

i also hunt a tent blind in nys. halloween afternoon i was fortunate to take a decent sized doe at almost 25 yds. i noticed her out at 100yds & as she passed the bliond, she hesitated to look towards my open window.

this is the penthouse blind from cabela's, plenty big & i can stand to draw. i've taken a number of animals from it.

just some hints which work for me:

-set up at least 6 weeks prior to the hunt.
-dress all in black & same on the face paint.
-leave open a couple of the mesh windows for spotting, and only open them no more than is necessary. i drop mine down 3".

good luck next time.

-ken

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good point on open windows, I only open the one I'm going to shoot from, any more lets in light and you can be spotted inside to easily. I like to drop down off my stool and shoot from my knees. I draw from a hidden corner then slowly swing into the open window for a shot. Minimal movement is key.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by centershot
Good point on open windows, I only open the one I'm going to shoot from, any more lets in light and you can be spotted inside to easily. I like to drop down off my stool and shoot from my knees. I draw from a hidden corner then slowly swing into the open window for a shot. Minimal movement is key.

absolutely. only problem is that i can't do the knee draw anymore, getting older & need my legs for help. grin

quick funny story;
last opening weekend 2008 sunday late day i had 5 black bear come towards my tent. the sow was between me & her 4 cubs, not good. she walked right to my tent window & stuck her head inside, still not realizing what i was. she was about 315 lbs conservative. i could smell her breath in my face. we stared each other down for 20 seconds until i yelled without moving. she run a few feet, scared. looked again from 10 feet. i yelled again & she moseyed over the hill with her 4 youngins.

i really didn't want to shoot her because of the babies. i could tell by her eyes she didn't realize what i was even as close as 2 feet from me.

-ken

Last edited by CaptEdIII; 11/06/09.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 29aholic, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 40 invisible), 3,096 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,641
Posts18,533,612
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.