Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I had two deer tags and a cow tag for the third seasons and we did pretty well.

The snow storm that hit the Wed before the season started, dumped about 18 " up high,but only abut 6" where I camped. I went on the Tuesday before to miss the storm, and spent until Friday evening waitng for other members of the party to show up.
Anoter fellow came up Tuesday also.

The heavy snow pushed the elk down to about 9000 ft ,but they went up some after opening day from the hunter pressure.

Opening day I took the two doe deer and we packed them up and another fellow got a 4x5 bull. Another member took another doe, but had to quit hunting after that due to bad knees.He had just had an injection procedure a few days before coming up and they were too sore to ride anyome.

Sunday we saw no elk, but Monday while I was up hunting heavy timber to the right of this pohto,one of the guys shot a cow that walked out into the center of the meadow while they were eating lunch. A real Gimme. I saw one cow, but luckily had a clean miss in the dense stuff.It would have been a nasty pack out.

[Linked Image]

Tuesday was elkless, but Wednesday,another fellow got the 2nd cow up higher in the aspens. That was an easy pack. That fellow had to return to work,so we were glad he tagged out. By now two of the party of 5 had left and one guy could not hunt. Leaving me alone to hunt,and one other guy still had a doe deer tag.

Th elk were coming hard and by Thursdsay I was getting wore down. We were riding 8 miles back in every day and hunting in crusted snow, but it had melted some bare ground was in some spots.

Friday I left camp for the 3 hr ride at 3:30 AM and hit the hunting area about 30 minutes before shooting light.

I tied up and got situated about 200 yds from the mule when I heard a bull bugle.( Bulls do bugle in Nov.) The elk were moving up though some aspens,and I was able to work may way around into the wind along a side hill.
At about ten minutes into legal shooting time,I saw a bedded cow at about 80 yds.

Being the last day of the season,I shot her in her bed. Double lunger,with the .06, 220 gr RN.
Darn if she didn't stand up, so I hit her again with a neck shot that put her back down in the bed she had been in.

Then about 8 more cows and the bull came up and milled about her,worked there way above me and then got my wind and moved out.

Sorry about the quality of the photos, but it was early and I was in a hurry to get her packed out the 8 miles ,so we could leave Sat AM.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I got her quarterd, ready to pack and went back down for the mules. Thank God the other fellow hunting deer had heard the shots and was at the mules waiting to help me load.We got her bagged and loaded the whole thing on Jessie,my older mule.I really didn't want to load that heavy,but the mules and me were tired and I didn't know if I could make the 16 mile round trip again up the mountan. The next photo is down in the clearing below the aspens. The elk was shot fairly close to the cliffs in the back ground. About a mile back.

[Linked Image]

The freezer will be over flowing and I still have a pronghorn doe tag form December.
It's been a good year.I have had about 20 days in the field and this last trip I rode about 135 miles in all on the mules.

On a sour note,I did run into the some guys, from Oklahoma, ridng, that were as bad as the worst ATVers,riding into prime hunting areas, which pushed the elk back up into the rocks.

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/08/09.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Right on! Sounds like you've had a great year with lots of action

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Very, very cool!

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E

Vince, congrats on a fine season! Nothing like a full freezer! (grin)

ElkNut1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well Done SS! Congratulations

" He who refuses to do the arithmetic is doomed to talk nonsense" John McCarthy

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Awesome pics and story. I appreciate you sharing.

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man that looks like a ton of fun. Thanks for sharing the great pictures and stories. Sounds like you will be eating plenty good over the winter.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good going, nothing like a good 220.

R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice looking country and a great story congrats.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great story and pics.
You have sure had a good year.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hey Vince, sending you a PM in a moment.

Robert

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Vince, you are an Elks worst nightmare! I would be glad to do 2 shares of camp chores to go ride/hunt with you.. Way to go.. Jesse

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Notice the entry hole in the 1st photo. ( That is where you are suppose to shoot'em) That darn 220 gr made a 1" hole going in and about an inch and a half going out. I found the neck shot bullet in the hide after it hit the neck vertebrae. About 50% loss of weight. Asolutely no meat ruined ,except on the neck

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/11/09.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good job....looks like a great time!

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 72 invisible), 3,486 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,402
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.