Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Bull elk season started on Oct. 31st. in Eastern WA. I arrived on the 26th to set up elk camp with my huntin' partners and to scout a few days prior to the "opener". My son joined us on Friday night.

After all the camp set-up and wood cuttin' was complete, I found myself with 2 days to scout out my usuaul haunts. I've hunted this same area for almost 20 years. I was able to spot some 200 elk at about 1 1/2 miles from camp on Thursday evening and another hundred on Friday night with my son. I chose not to pursue these 2 herds where I had spotted them as there were other camps set up much closer to these 2 herds, so I decided to use, once again, my most successful method of huntin' these wiley and most regal of game animals. I would set up positions for my son and I on opening mornin' with the intent to intercept our bulls while hopefully usin' one of their escape routes rather than to try and take them in and amongst the other hunters who were camped and located much closer to these animals.

Huntin' started at 6:05 am that mornin', but my son and I were eatin' Bite-Sized Mini-Wheats at 4:00 am. I had a good idea where these animals would try to take refuge when the first shots were fired and with this in mind, I drove my son several miles north of our camp prior to our 1 1/2 mile hike by flashlight to our "interception" point. I left my son (29 yrs. old) some 500 yards up the canyon hillside from me. He would watch the sun come up to his left while it lit up the wooded hillside across the huge and deep ravine. His potential shot would be 300 yards or less. I took up a similar position further down the ravine which, as most ravines do, stretched the distance even more so from hillside to hillside.

I left my son at his position and found myself being greeted by the sun's arrival several minutes sooner than I had envisioned. I walked slowly, but methodically toward my position on the hillside, but never made it there. I spotted several elk amongst the far hillside's trees and sat down where I was, totally exposed on the short grassed, expansive hillside. The first shots range out where I had expected......about a mile away and from the direction that I had spotted those several hundred elk the 2 days before the season started. From previous experience, those elk, perhaps less a spike or 2 (spike only area), would likely be headed in our direction and due to arrive in 10 minutes or less. I had already determined that the elk that had thwarted the reaching of my position had no spikes in it, so I quickly turned my attention to the rumbling of rocks and the crashing of branches that could be easily described as a train plowing through the woods, sans it's tracks.

The first group of the now dispersed large herd showed up right on time, albeit, I expected them to come down the far hillside either a bit more to my left (where I had originally intended to be had that small group of elk not made me) or slightly uphill in the direction of my son. The space on the far hillside which took up the portion of hillside lying directly between my son and I consisted of about 400 yards wide of 8 fisted boulders which spanned almost the entire height of the far hillside, less about 80 yards from the top and all the way to the bottom. This particular section of hillside, top to bottom, stood about 400 yards high.

This first bunch of elk consisted of about 35 animals, major bulls, cows, calves, rag horns, but no "true" spikes (no antler growth whatsoever off of the main beams allowed). My son and I saw about 25 bulls in our first 4 days of huntin'. From 1 X 2's to 7 X 7's, with several 6 X 7's. If that area allowed for "Any Bull", our hunt would have been so much easier. Having no choice but to take true spikes results in this being a much harder hunt than any other for bulls in this state. After the first 2 days, not many true spikes left as opposed to all other bulls. A bit like finding the needle in the haystack deal. It surely makes you much more aware of what your exact target needs to be rather than just seeing horns and sending one downrange. This may very well be my answer to the "most difficult hunt" question posed here some weeks ago. I've never worked harder to try and help my son locate a game animal.

Due to being somewhat pinned down, I was also further way from the near side ravine than originally desired or planned, in fact, when I ranged this first group, they were at 642 yards (10X Geovids). This first group had chosen to navigate their escape route directly across this large, extremely steep, rock infested hillside. I quickly closed the distance once these animals had crossed the rock hillside as I knew that any subsequent groups would likely also use the same escape route........the next 3 groups that followed, a total of some 125 animals in all, did exactly that.

I was beginning to think that those first shots had taken their toll on the only available true spikes in that large herd. The first 3 groups had passed with every type of elk in it BUT a true spike. I had closed the distance to a lasered 352 yards which helped a great deal with animal identification and I felt quite comfortable shooting at this range. As is oftentimes the case in these mountains, Mother Nature threw a consistent 25-30mph wind at us that mornin', all headin' down ravine. I'm thinkin' her spouse is likely named "Murphy".

The 4th and last group of this splintered herd approached the rock hillside as had the others........movin' left to right, into the wind. Cow, cow, calf, cow, major, raghorn and so on. My spike showed up as the second to the last animal in that bunch, the only true spike I saw in all of those escaping elk. My 300WSM was zero'd at 281 yds. with a -5.2 drop at 350yds. My Zeiss cranked up to 14X with the parallax adjustment set to infinity, I adjusted for the wind and held directly on the front chest hairs of the bull, tightened my grip on the fully entended Harris Bi-Pod and squeezed the trigger. The 180gr. TSX found it's mark when it engaged the bull's shoulder and exited mid-ribs on the far side. I've still yet to collect any of the 3 TSX's from the 3 bulls I've taken in the last 4 years with that bullet. FWIW - they have worked very well for me.

My son was watching another small group of elk several hundred yards up the ravine and quickly looked up at my shot. He told me later that he was able to see my bull drop immediately at the shot and roll/tumble down the rock face another 50 yards before becoming lodged perfectly enough among the rocks to end it's freefall. I would have much preferred to be watching "his" elk catapulting down that hillside. He has never wavered in his being happy for others more fortunate than himself, no matter the circumstance. He is a joy to be around and to share such experiences.

It was 7:00 am when my hunt was over.....a mere 55 minutes into what I consider the most enjoyable 9 days of each and every year. I was able to "hunt" for many more days as I rose each mornin' with my son to assist him in taking his first bull, but to no avail. This was the first year for "true" spikes and it does considerably reduce one's chances. Perhaps next year.............I certainly hope so as he is so deserving. Just him being with me likely makes those 9 days the special days for me that they are...............

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. 'Yote was lucky that day. Maybe 15ft. from me.

[Linked Image]

My huntin' partner....my son.

[Linked Image]

His older brother.......grin.....just kiddin'. Pics sure seem to bring out the grey hair in a guy.......frown.

[Linked Image]

Just pics of a small bunch of elk. There was a 1 X 2 in that group.......likely didn't make it through the season as many did not. They're on the hillside we shoot from.....quite exposed and it gets much steeper to the left in the pic. As you can see from the pics with me, my son and the bull, we hunt some steep terrain. That was one heck of a hump out, but as always, well worth the effort.

My son and I also saw a cougar and a bear at about 700 yds. on this same hillside 3 days after the opener. Both were crossin' these rock hillsides.....at different times. Seems the elk didn't like either much as the elk populations soon vanished after their appearance. Go figure......................

[Linked Image]

Thanks for lettin' me share........................

Last edited by magnumb; 11/09/09.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very Nice cool

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
excellent report! hope you and your son & brother get to experience it again next year. thanks.

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks HBB and hotsoup!!!

I've spent the last couple days cleanin' gear and firearms with that exact intent..........to do it again next year......wink

I'd like to think that the first year I miss this hunt will be my first season pushin' up daisies.

Last edited by magnumb; 11/09/09.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Super job, congrats!

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice,Ken.
Looks like you have a good hunting partner there!

that elk should be good eatin, also.
smile

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Congrats!!!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
RNF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Congrats on a successful hunt with your son.

A gun in the hand is worth more than the entire police force on the phone.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
excellent story, and great pics.
thanks.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
good job man congrats i like the picture of the yote

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. magnumb;
I appreciate you sharing your hunt with us accompanied by the fine photos.

I think it�s wonderful that you could share this hunt with your son. These family type hunting posts are my favorite ones, as they are a positive indicator for our future as hunters and likely the state of our society in general.

I am going to believe that you both will remember those times for your whole lives, in the same way I remember fondly all the hunts my late father and I were able to share.

I�ll send you a tip of the hat for taking the time to teach your son to hunt. I see it�s stuck too, reflected by the fact he�s your hunting partner now. That is cool, well done. cool

Thanks again,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
To all that have replied so kindly and thoughtfully.......thank you.

It may seem strange or even alien to some that at 58 1/2 years old, I really appreciate such heartfelt sentiments. Having served in SE Asia for 2 years then in LE for 28 years, I'm not yet very comfortable with such responses as neither service allowed for much of that.........just the way it was and is, it seems.

My 23 year old daughter recently lost her job and even though we spend a great deal of time together fishin' and varmint huntin' in and out of state, she desires even more time together. She recently said that she wishes that she didn't have to work for the next 5 years and that she'd like for me to teach her in those 5 years all that I know. I was a bit confused by her statement at first, then decided to take it as a compliment rather than trying to second guess her motives (old work/career related habits die hard...unfortunately).

I'm not sure why my kids and I have an even greater relationship these past few years as I was a very strict, truth be told, too strict of a father. I expected waaaay too much of each, scholastically and in sports as well. Since my retirement in '04, I've tried to turn that around as best I can. I'm elated that they have embraced even these slight changes as I'm not sure that I would be quite so forgiving, which in itself, gives me pause concerning my own "mom and I" relationship.

I, too, believe that we need to spend as much time together with our kids as possible without trying to run their lives. I'm just fortunate that they've come around to also enjoying the great out of doors as I do. Perhaps a bit selfish on my part, but no less human than most.

Thanks again for the kind words. I appreciate them. They can't help but act as a sort of compass for each of us when we take such sentiments to heart.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ken good job on the bull, I took a similar bull albeit a few hundred miles south from you on the opener with the .338 RUM.

As i know you and your lovely bride and how you both speak of your children, I have no doubts as to why they feel the way they do about you. Most children should be so lucky to have a father like yourself, you done good amigo and it shows damn well in the lives your children lead and the choices they have made.

Strict you may have been friend but take one look at how well your children have turned out and dont think for one second that did not have a whole chit load to do with how they were raised.

Sucks about your daughter losing her job, the GF did as well back in August, then decided to pack it in with me and and move home to her family. All is well that ends well as i have never been happier or more relaxed.

Come to think of it isnt your daughter single? Wanna new son in law, say a guy who works in EMS and likes to hunt and fish? (grinning here)

Give me a call soon as we got powder to burn and fish to beat up on. Hey how is your aquatic buddy doing lately?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by splattermatic
excellent story, and great pics.
thanks.

+1 !

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks MA and BT53!!

Congrat's on your bull MA!! Glad to hear that the .338 RUM was useful to you......smile. Big guys with big guns.......a deadly combination! We've got some good eatin' ahead........grin.

Thanks for your kind comments MA. I do feel fortunate for lots of reasons, the relationships and health of those I care about topping that list. It is special to be able to write about these experiences and to be able to include my family members in those experiences. I'm sure it's not rare, but I feel fortunate nonetheless. The alternative isn't appealing to me.

My son was a real billy goat in the packin' department. He's a strong kid with drive and determination that he must have gotten from mom....grin. When we reached my bull, he said, "we're gonna make just 2 trips each up that hill", with a smile on his face, but I knew he meant it. He must have forgotten that I had my spinal fusion this last Feb. OR, he remembered that the doc said I was good to go about a month ago.............grin. Whatever, we got the quarters, head, packs and all out in 2 trips each. SOB!!! Can't let a 29 year old think he's got the upper hand, can we? Truth be told, he made each trip up in about 1/2 the time it took me. Worst part, that fact wasn't lost of him. Best part, he didn't say anything.....smile.

Sorry to hear about your domestic situation, but from your post, it seems that all is well and you're doing fine, glad to hear that. I didn't expect less from you. Even since being married almost 34 years, I can understand your "and relaxed" comment. Married folk just take "time outs" sometimes and try to regroup when things get a bit "unrelaxed". BTDT. Sometimes it works out, sometimes not. The main goal is to be comfortable with yourself and the outcome........seems you are and that's all that counts.

My daughter will rebound, although the job market surely isn't in the best shape right now. Son-In-Law? No FIL can have a SIL with as nice or nicer firearms than him.......smile. That's your fault, not mine....grin. However things work out for you, you'll make a great SIL.......of that, I'm sure.

Oh yeah.......I'm thinkin' that my aquatic friend likely (damn well know, actually) passed on. With all the swine flu, Orca's, LEAD POISONING and stuff goin' around these days.........smile

Take care MA and congrat's again on your bull. And yes, we'll soon enough ply some waters again, less my aquatic friend...........smile.

Last edited by magnumb; 11/10/09.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
magnumb that is one of the best stories I have read here! Was just like being there! Congrats!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks '76!!!

I was fortunate enough to be able to tell such a story.

Heck, even a hunt that ends without game down beats most all other times that I can think of......grin.

Thanks again...........

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Congrats on the elk! That is beautiful coutry. I always enjoy seeing photos of the country that elk inhabit.

I have a question regarding the hunt regulations in that area. Is the "spike only" restriction for over the counter tags? Does the state offer limited qouta bull and anterless tags for the area also? Just wondering, as the area I hunt here in WY has gone to any elk on a general over the counter tag and very few anterless only limited quota tags. The total elk population has gone down to G&F target levels and the bull to cow ratio has increased sense this was instituted. How long has the state had the spikes only rule in place? You have hunted there a long time so I just wondered what your thoughts were on the regulation. I hope next year your son will get one too! As you well know your "55 minute elk" really took many years of learning the country and the elk's habits to aquire. Thanks for sharing.

M
magnumb Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks Phasmid......and it is even more beautiful than these pictures can portray......wink.

This particular herd that I hunt (of the 4 or 5 major herds in WA state)is the most depleted or "depressed" herd here. It has been ravaged by tribal hunting (not racist, just truth) and it gets alot of attention from WA hunters as well 'cuz all our herds are much smaller than in other states.

Our tribes have the run of our state and have for years. This herd has a reserve located at it's upper reaches and was donated by a (white)family many years ago. It harbors these elk for most of the year, however the tribes, without any hinderance whatsoever, enter this reserve and take what they want. Up until this year, they took only the major bulls out of this herd. Seems funny (not ha-ha type, however) when these animals are supposedly taken for "subsistence" only. Not sure why one would want to take a ruttin' bull over a cow, as they take several dozen of these largest of bulls in Aug. and Sept. each year. Major bull racks do command a pretty penny above Casino and resort fireplaces however.................

This year might have been the exception however. Some of the first hunters arrived in the area to set up camp and at a location that we call "4 Corners", a sign was supposedly left there (as it is the main intersection for all roads in and out) that said, "We took all your spikes, Whitey". The tribes were well aware that we have had to take only spikes for the last 20 or so years, but the tribes also knew that this year we were restricted to the taking of only "true spikes", with no branches whatsoever, straight main beams only, a very new and very restrictive game law for us. Curious enough, I saw more major bulls this year than in the last several years, while seeing less spikes than ever before. Coincidence, I don't think so.

I called our F&G after last years season to report the lack of major bulls that I hadn't seen and reported that several hunters scouting the area in Aug/Sept. had seen them take some 50 major bulls during that time frame. The F&G employee actually surprised me by saying that he was aware that they had taken some "several dozen" large bulls, but couldn't be sure of the exact take.

Spikes, especially true spikes, aren't known for thier breeding prowess or abilities. That's left up to the larger, more dominant bulls.....and for good reason. If the larger bulls have been almost exterminated......what do you suppose happens? Well, what happens is that the F&G dept. here threatens to close down our elk seasons or attempts to placate us by giving us a season, but with the new "true spike" rule in effect and strictly enforced. I don't mind playing fair, but this approach doesn't resemble fair......not in my book anyway. In short, this herd is only here on earth due to it's own tenacity, not due to any help from our F&G nor because of the tribes concerns for preserving/conserving what they believe is theirs to exploit. Sorry.......just makes me a bit crazy. Enough of that rant............

We have draws for any elk, cows and bulls in this state. It costs $5 for an opportaunity to be drawn for these "selective" hunts". Any state resident can buy an over-the-counter elk or deer tag and must do so prior to putting in for one of these selective hunts. There are restrictions on what type/gender/rack sizes in many, if not most, areas of the state for both deer and elk. The area my pics depict (say that 10X's fast......grin) is open to all hunters for true spikes only. It does have a select hunt draw for any bull as well. Get this........the area is rather huge, encompassing many miles and they give out a total of 3 "Any Bull" tags for the entire area. Some 5,000+ hunters put in for these 3 tags each year, while slightly more than that actually hunt the area.

Each opportunuty to draw a special hunt (elk, deer, sheep, goat.....etc.) cost you $5. If your not drawn, you get a point banked for each animal you try to get drawn for. For example......I have 12 pts. (12 years) of trying for an any "Any Bull" tag in this same area that my pics depict. 12 years! My son has 11 years/pts. That's 23 pts./years between us.....I'm sure that if I EVER get drawn, it will undoubtedly be my last. There are no cow tags given out in this area and there haven't been for almost 20 years.

Soooo.....we (whitey, evidently) has sucked it up for years, pay more in licenses almost each year and get less opportunities and more restrictive hunting rules while knowing full well the reasons for these new rules and restrictions and this herds "depression". I had more than several hunters tell me that this was their last year huntin' elk in WA state.....and I don't blame them. That's exactly what the tribes want to see happen and unfortunately, it's happening. Why hunt for a needle in a haystack when it's not even in the pile??

Per the handout that all us "Whities" got from our F&G people at the base of our range prior to headin' up to camp, "The objective for this herd is 12-20 bulls per 100 cows, post hunt. The observed ratio has only been 4-9 bulls per 100 cows since 2005". By going to a "True-Spike" rule, more yearling bulls would make it through the season".

Makes those people in heavily populated elk states laugh I suppose (no offense intended). 4-9 bulls per 100 cows!!! And we get 3 Any Bull tags per 5,000 guys! There will always be alot of finger pointing and assertions made, but given these elk #'s, almost non-existent draw opportunities, severe restrictions on what we can shoot and an entire elk season lasting a total of 9 days, I'm thinkin' this herds survival doesn't lie with those made to adhere to such rules. As I write this, I can honestly say that I am more amd more amazed that I even got an elk!!! It's a bit like the lottery. Nahhhh.......winning the lottery might be easier.........laugh.

This elk herd is what matters to me when all is said and done. What frustration you no doubt sense in my statements have festered for years and even though I attend F&G neetings and make calls as often as I feel it necessary and/or productive, nothing changes. I don't want to leave this earth and have this or any other herd impacted so negatively when the answer as to how to resolve their plight sits squarely in front of our face.

I'm sorry to have taken you around the block as to answering your specific questions Phasmid, but somewhere along the line, some of these rants were actually answers to your questions.......believe it or not.....smile. In 1992, our F&G placed the Nooksack herd on the "endangered list" and ceased all hunting where I had hunted for many years. Not many special draw tags given out, 1,800 elk originally, lots of graze and private forest lands, barely accessible to non-tribal individuals. Reports by our F&G stated that in 1992 there was an estimated 1 bull per 100 cows with a total of 300 elk remaining. I took a 4X5 in 1991 and a 1X5 in 1992. Seems I alone decimated that herd, or at least I felt that way after reading that report somewhat later. Where did 1,600 elk go?? Oh yeah, we have a Lummi and Nooksack tribe here.........

Thanks for your sentiments and we'll see what we can do to get my son eventually into his first elk. Sometimes it's better to perservere like this, but after 7 years or hard huntin', I think he's due......wink.

Thanks again Phasmid and best of luck to you and yours.

Last edited by magnumb; 11/10/09.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
magnumb,

That is a sad situation. It blows the myth that all the tribes have such a great conservation ethic out of the water and it makes your success at finding a spike really remarkable. It also makes me appreciate getting to hunt where I do even more. I hope the situation changes for the elk and WA hunters for better some day.

Scott

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 70 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,427
Posts18,528,446
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.