Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

I think we can do better.

What's the best boot for sheep hunting out there?
1. Meindl
2. Hanwag / Lowa
3. Schnee's
4. Asolo
5. Danner
6. Kenetrecs
Other?

My preference for Dalls has been the Danner Canadian, but they are heavy and your feet sweat a little and I've had them squeek a little when I first bought them. I'm looking for another best boot, regardless of price.

Monster Whitetails are Awesome!!!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used the Sportivas this year, and they are really stiff. I would have probably been better served with a pair of Lowa sheephunters. A guide I met (from Colorado) wore Kenetrecs, and swore by them.
My goat guide insists on Chalked boots, and I have a pair of Meindl's so affitted, and they always work well.
Don

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
chalked? You mean like sidewalk chalk so it won't chafe? wink

You almost never see it spelled properly... calk...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Woops, I tried, got the "lk" part right! That's why doctors writing is so bad, do you can't see their misspellings!
Don

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by docdb
why doctors writing is so bad, do you can't see their misspellings!

I resemble that remark! (MD who can't read his OWN writing)

I have used Lowa Hunters on several hunts, just not sheep yet. Three prospective guides I've talked to all said those were perfect and not to use plastic boots, but these trips would all be in Canada, not the Chugach or Wrangells. Two other outfits I've talked to , John Latham was one, use ankle fit hip boots. I can see how these would be great for river/bog crossings but just can't imagine climbing up a rocky scree slope with them.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by brooksrange
[Linked Image]

I think we can do better.

1. Meindl
2. Hanwag / Lowa
3. Schnee's
4. Asolo
5. Danner
6. Kenetrecs
Other?

My preference for Dalls has been the Danner Canadian, but they are heavy and your feet sweat a little and I've had them squeek a little when I first bought them. I'm looking for another best boot, regardless of price.

I doubt there is a single best boot but several good boots from some of the bootmakers you listed. Alot of the bootmakers are offering rubber rands and they seem to help prevent wear and tear to the leather. Whatever boot you choose - make sure it fits proper, break 'em in well and purchase/wear good liners and socks. I would also choose a boot tall enough to protect your ankles from stone bruising while cruising the scree.

MtnHtr

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
One vote for hip boots. Sounds ridiculous but they work well if you don't need ankle support. For me, a real stiff and tall boot that prevents my ankle from bending puts all the stress on my knee which is much worse for me. I have heard that, when they went to stiff plastic ski boots the incidence of tibial fractures above the boot increased. Put enough socks inside the hip boot to pad your ankle. Also, the semi-tacky rubber on the LaCrosse hip boots really sticks. Almost like rock climbing shoes. Lug soles actually slip worse. Snow is an exception to that.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My best guess is whatever fits best and handles the type of sheep range(s) you will be hunting.
For example, I find the Asolo light mountaineering/heavy back packing style boots, like their PW Matic 400 GV's, work well in places like Montana's Rocky Mtn. areas, as well as most other conventional mountain ranges.
But, in the low desert sheep ranges, I've found their trail/back packing boots, like their FSN 95's work even better.
I suspect alot has to do with what kind of socks you use and what kind of shape your feet are in. Sheep ranges, as a rule, have some serious rock to deal with.
Another good addition are something like Kahtoola Crampons if the going gets icy. E

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
No matter's with Sheep boots is that you buy two pairs and break both in. You should be completely comfortable to use them hiking and packing before you go. You need to treat them completely soak them in a tub and then walk them until they are dry to break them in.

You will find yourself liking German, Italian or Plastic. Then
there are the rich who can get Limmer customs or Van Gorkums.

German-
Lowas tend to be narrow. They are great boots but they are the most expensive of the ready made.
Meindls from Cabela's are good price wise but are not the
same Meindls that you get from Hoffman boot company or AB Brooks. They just aren't the same.

I run Hanwags Trappers and I really like them.
They are a bit more heavy duty and waterproof than my
old Meindl Denali Hunters. I used two pair of Meindls for years.

Raichle triple stitched mountaineering boots are right up there
with the best of the German boots but they are really heavy.

Italian Boots-
Sportiva EVOs GTXs are now gaining on everybody else and are
very light and comfortable. They are suitable for most hunts but they aren't for death marches.

The Mountain Hunters by Cabelas are also Italian and are said to be more narrow.

Kennetrecs look like the best of the Italian boots and look
very good but they are just as expensive as the best of anything else.

Plastics- I won't go there because I want to keep my knees and continue to hunt until I am in my 70s.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Last edited by kaboku68; 11/15/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
for me none of the above, I'm gettin nervous, the boots I really like are lightweight Nike ACG, I know it would be a bad choice for lots of guys, but they're my faves. I need to be on the lookout for replacements, am thinking the Merrel type light hikers may be my next boot. Lousy pic, but not often take a pic of boots.

[Linked Image]

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Randy,
I've been trying out the Inov-8 paraglider boots for hiking (around here) lately. Not sure I can do this little suppport with my wobbly ankles, but dang are they light. Very surely not for sheep, and a good brush with scree would shred them, I'm just sayin'.....
Innov8 Boots

Last edited by docdb; 11/15/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My sheep hunting boots are La Sportiva's Malakai (sp?) style. They may be a bit too stiff so I would suggest trying them on if possible then going to the slightly less stiff Glacier style.
For crossing creeks & streams, get a pair of the Wiggy's light weight slip on hip style boots. They work but aren't designed for continuous wear and they only weigh a few ounces. Anyway, that's what we do and I hate wet feet. You can never get dry.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bear, Brad converted me to Crocs, nice to slip on around camp, great for sneakin out to take a leak or dump.

I take off my zip off legs and socks, tie my boots around my neck, slip on the crocs and cross creeks and streams. dry feet off with bandana re gear and off I go.

it works for me, you may like your waders better, but i'm sold on the croc gig.

unless I'm chasing a good sheep, then wet boots and feet are just a price I'm willing to pay.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1. Meindl
2. Hanwag / Lowa
3. Schnee's
4. Asolo
5. Danner
6. Kenetrecs
Other?

Dang! I've been on 8 or so sheep hunts and 2 goat hunts, and I don't have a clue as to what most of those boots are.

I do remember that on my Dall sheep hunt in the Mackenzie Mtns in the Northwest Territories, I wore some boots from Cabela's that look like their "Arctic Bruin" hunting boots in their current catalogs. However, I would not choose these boots again for a backpack sheep hunt. Too heavy.

I can also see in a picture of one of my Montana "unlimited" rams that I was wearing some 10" Lacrosse uninsulated pacs (similar to Schnees) that I had fitted with "air-bob" soles. I probably also wore those boots on my goat hunts, as they were done in deep snow conditions.

My advise for sheep hunting boots would be lightweight, waterproof, have a good traction sole, and be well broken in. 8-10" Lace-up uppers are good in late season when deep snow is possible, as is a set of knee high water repellent and quiet gaitors.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I used Scarpa Liskamms this yesr and was pleased.

Bear I'm surprised Wiggy's slip on hippers work well for you. I used them this year and think Safeway bags would have lasted longer.I just used them for crossing and didn't hike in them. They only lasted a couple of crossings.Fortunely I had crocs with me and used them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Lowa, Sportiva, Asolo, Scarpa etc quality backpacking boots that fit correctly. Can't go wrong with the above if they fit right. I prefer a one piece full grain leather upper.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys are right about the crocs. To be more complete, I really arm the feet. On my sheep hunts, besides the Sportiva Boots , I also have several pair of smartwool socks and liners, a pair of crocs, a pair of gore-tex socks to put on over a liner in case of a total wetdown, and the wiggy's waders, and an ample supply of powder and moleskin. That about covers my foot needs on a two week sheep hunt.
Don
ps spare me the "kitchen sink" comments, I know, I know, I'm a gear nut. The only time my feet suffer though, and they did last hunt, is with too many miles, and too little dry out time. My guides boots actually fell apart (Asolo), I mean the sole fell off, yes OFF, and I got some pretty nice blisters, but only on the last day.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also, I twisted an ankle on the second day of the hunt, making me wonder if I shouldn't stick with the fully supportive, all leather boots........just a thought. Anytime, my whole life, I've gone lame, it's the ankles.

Last edited by docdb; 11/16/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
Bear, Brad converted me to Crocs, nice to slip on around camp, great for sneakin out to take a leak or dump.

I take off my zip off legs and socks, tie my boots around my neck, slip on the crocs and cross creeks and streams. dry feet off with bandana re gear and off I go.

it works for me, you may like your waders better, but i'm sold on the croc gig.

unless I'm chasing a good sheep, then wet boots and feet are just a price I'm willing to pay.

I went the croc route for creek crossings for a couple years. However, after running up river bars with repeated thigh crossings every 1/4 mile enroute to where I hunt I got fed up and starting looking for a better setup that allowed me to hike for miles on end in a setup that didn't require me to swap shoes at every crossing and was much better to hike in than crocs.

So I bought a set of these:

They are a pound and a half so not extremely lightweight. However, I dropped a set of green superfeet in the insole and combined with a neoprene sock and I am good to go. Works great for backpacking through swampy areas as well. I enjoy dry feet as well and knowing I have a couple pairs of dry smartwool socks and my dry Lowa Hunter Extremes makes it worth it. I thought about going the wiggy wader route, but decided to bail on that idea due to I wasn't impressed with how they might hold up over the years as well as the fact that occasionally I find myself crossing waist deep water which I would end up soaking my boots anyways. The setup with the watershoes isn't perfect, but I like it better than crocs for my uses. The ability to hike in these shoes for miles on end makes with worth the added 1.5 pounds to me, plus you still have a pair of camp shoes then.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a pair of Lowa Sheephunter GTX and love them. They are the wide model and fit my feet very nicely. I have run them for 4 years now and they are still holding up nicely. I MAY consider buying a new pair for this year. I'd like to try the Hanwags but not sure I can get away from these as they fit me very well....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

486 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 56 invisible), 2,897 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,376
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.