-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
OK some of you computer gurus out there can maybe help me out with this?

I recently purchased a new IBM tower, my old computer worked fine but it was getting to be five or six years old, I guess it worked ok for just having 1.2 meg of RAM and a pentium 3 -- the new one is just way faster. Last year I bought a big screen monitor so I still had my old one around too.

I was thinking (Which often leads to many of my problems lol) that Since I had enough stuff around here to put the old one together and use it as a Jukebox. I have over 1000 albums (CDs) and that would save me from storing all that info on the new 'puter. I also use it to manage music on SD cards that go in my trucks and work stereo. Besides I could run the old one at the same time, offline, and not be running so much on my new one at the same time. I figured I could put photos in there too so that I didn't lose them like the last time That I had a computer crash.

Anyway, I got everything all set up, and it's all working great. Now I got to wondering, if I want to download something on the old one, is the best way to do it to just unhook the eithernet cable from the modum to the new computer to the old one (it's pretty hard to get behind my desk and the other furniture around here), or is there an aftermarket selector switch to swap that connection back and forth? (So I only have to pull out the furniture once) Can I just put a "Y" splitter on the eithernet and run them both off one modum?

BTW, they both run on Windows XP pro, if that matters.

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your cable modem may have an extra port on it to run another cable to ths music PC, or you can get a 10/100 switch at Best Buy, or online.
Then the setup would be cable modem to switch, switch to both PC's.
Of course, having your music + photo PC not exposed to the internet has benefits - less chance of virus infection, etc.

Have an A1 Day!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1badf350, 22250rem, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,614 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,949
Posts18,519,247
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.