Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Has anyone hunted the Big Horns for Black bear using spot ans stalk? I am close enough to hunt 3-4 days next spring and thought that might be a fun hunt. I don't want to go the outfitter route for baiting and was wondering if spot ans stalk was an option?

Thanks for the help guys!

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The northern part of the Big Horns have a lot of wide canyons and grand vistas that with good optics should make it a good option for S&S hunt. It is a beautiful region.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Has anyone had any experience with Bears in the Bighorns or know if the Bighorns have a high bear density?

Thanks Again,

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are bears there.Might contact the blm and forest service office to see if there are any sheep grazing allotments left. That's where you'll likely find the best concentraition of bears.
But you also need to be aware of the female mortality quoata for every bear area. Sometimes seasons get closed before they get to rolling real good.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The first time I visited the area I was helping Ron Dube, an outfitter who at that time had his base in Buffalo,WY, put out bear baits. I think that area and parts of western WY have the highest bear densities in WY, but that is still not very high as compared to many other parts of the US. And as Ranch13 says you have to watch they don't close the season on you when the mortality qouta is reached. There will be outfitters and local hunters putting out baits in that region. You can check with the Forest Service as they regulate where and how many baits are placed. You don't want to hunt over somebody else's bait accidentally as they get touchy about that.

IC B2

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
It's not uncommon for a bear area in the bighorns to close within 3 to 4 days of opening.You run the chance of never even getting to hunt.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
If I go, I would be there for the opener. The nice thing about hunting there by spot and stalk is that the tags are over the counter. If it closes before I go, I won't lose anything except some planning time, but that is half the fun.

ddj

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (6mmCreedmoor, 44mc, 10Glocks, AceBall, Amos63, 13 invisible), 1,661 guests, and 937 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,829
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.