Hop To
#3479992 11/14/09
J
justind Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I have done some calling with some success, but still unsure about were to look. If I call facing a north wind, should I be more observent to the south for movement or to the north? I would think to the south but not sure. I know they can surprise you about anywhere, but is ther a norm? I'm still begining to learn and love the new addiction.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The norm, especially for coyotes, is for them to circle downwind and try to get the scent of whatever is killing that rabbit...so that they know what kind of fight they are in for....
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
As ingwe said, the norm is for them to circle downwind, but that's not always the case. Anticipate them circling downwind and be ready for that, but also check your angles.

Setting up correctly is the most important thing. First part of that is knowing (or at least having a reasonable idea) where the coyotes are. As an example, if you feel like a wash that is running north/south is holding coyotes, and the wind is blowing from north to south, parallel the wash to either the east or west (whichever gives the best cover or best shade) and call from there. Keep an eye on as much of the area as you can, but especially pay attention to movement to the south, as that is probably where they will head to get downwind.

Now, given the same wash running north and south, but with an east/west wind, there are some different schools of thought. Most will say call into the wind and some say call with the wind. Personally, I set up in the area with the best cover and shade and go at it that way. Even if you are calling with the wind, the only area you will polute is the area right in front of you. Most coyotes will come in a bit and then circle. Hopefully you will see them first and game over...

Brian Weaver - Reese Outdoors Field Staff
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
A few simple rules of calling:

1] When going to the calling site don't let your scent blow into the heavy cover that might be holding predators.

2] Set up to call so that your scent is blowing towards open terrain -this way a coyote has to come out into the open in order to get downwind of you.

3] Use 2-3 cardboard cut-out crow decoys painted black -when a coyote thinks it sees the smartest bird sitting safely at the seen it puts him at ease.

I keep a notebook that has many notes and drawings of where to enter a calling area once i know which way the wind is blowing.
I blew coyotes out of great areas so many times that i now take a much more scietific approach.
Think before you go blundering in and glass your way in -sometimes quite often actually i kill more coyotes 'hunting' my way in than i do calling.
Good luck -Mike

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Couldn't agree more...

especially on Rule #2...

And depending on where you are...magpies can easily be subsituted for crows...

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 1234, 55 invisible), 10,061 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,354
Posts18,546,719
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.