Print Thread
Hop To
T
TDMax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I've read that the TSX used to have a copper fouling tendency. Wondering what others have to say about this? I cleaned my 260 spotless with Tiptons and then Wipeout. Yesterday I shot I believe 6 rounds and went to clean it and found a LOT of blue. I left the Tiptons work and came back 3 different times and still had a ton of blue so I'm back to wipeout.

This gun is still new, but I've never seen so much blue.

The bullets shoot pretty nice though...

Last edited by TDMax; 11/16/09.
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I haven't found them to be bad at all about copper fouling, or at least no worse than conventional bullets. It was the original Barnes solids, the ones without the relief grooves, that were known for their fouling.

Weiners are health food - My dad
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have a fairly low use rem 25-06 that fouls the lands (at least in appearance) in 2-3 shot's no matter what I shoot through it. The gun still shoots like a house of fire after many rounds without cleaning.
As per the tsx....I agree with the last poster that they are no worse in most of my guns than any other jacketed bullet. I do have to say the the new nosler e-tip seems to not foul much which has surprised me because of their long bearing area.
I would have to say it's my guess the fouling you got is because your barrel hasn't broken in much yet and is not fouling because of the tsx.

T
TDMax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks guys. I figured after just a 6 round set I would push a couple of patches and should be good for hunting. When I pushed 3 or 4 blue patches, then the wipeout and even wipeout foam came out baby blue I just thought it was excessive. I'll see what happens now after a few rounds with the Nosler's.

I think I am at about 55 rounds total so far for this gun.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Out of a few dozen guns I have found some foul, some foul bad and fast and some don't. UBC is a good way to reduce the problem. I had one Parker Hale '06 that fouled bad enough after just four shots to affect accuracy. UBC made a huge difference in that gun.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The TSX and TTSX don't foul any worse than Sierra or Nosler bullets in my rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think they foul more than typical gilding metal bullets but not as bad as TBBC's.

I've gone to Ultra Bore Coat.......so far it's a definite improvement.

MM

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pretty much the same as other posters, if not less so. They certainly don't foul as much as conventional Cup-n-cores.....and nowhere close to as much as original X bullets...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by TDMax
Thanks guys. I figured after just a 6 round set I would push a couple of patches and should be good for hunting. When I pushed 3 or 4 blue patches, then the wipeout and even wipeout foam came out baby blue I just thought it was excessive. I'll see what happens now after a few rounds with the Nosler's.

Can't imagine cleaning one and then going hunting, unless I'm reading it wrong.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Barnes has no issues in a 1-7 twisted .223 and a Kimber .257 roberts. none at all.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i have several rifles that foul pretty bad with TSX bullets. not a deal breaker, but when it comes time to clean i have to work at it.

think i'll try the UBC

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
T
TDMax Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by TDMax

I like to start with a clean barrel so I figured I'd push a couple of patches to see what I got. I saw more blue than I have seen in this gun after a single 6 round string than I did at any other point during my load work up. I even patched it dry after the wipeout and ran more tiptons and let it stand moist over night. Still more blue. I have it clean again and will probably pop off a couple cheap Rem factory loads to get a little podwer fouling in it before I hit the woods.

I'll look into the UBC. Maybe Gander has it as I just placed my order with Midway.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

I'd never EVER take a clean bore hunting -- not EVER! Fouling shot is a must, IMHO.

And I have two old TIKKAs, a Ruger#1, and a Browning Eclipse that get fed a steady diet of Barnes Bullets, and have not noticed any issues with copper fouling.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd never EVER take a clean bore hunting -- not EVER! Fouling shot is a must, IMHO.

That totally depends on the gun.I have owned several rifles where the first three shots out of a clean barrel formed the same group size,at the same point of impact as successive groups fired from the gun.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
my son wants to use the H&R/Sako .222 this year on a whitetail... i ordered out some of the 45 gr TSXs...

has anyone experienced problems switching between the TSX and cup and core bullets without cleaning???
the rifle has a pretty slick barrel and doesn't foul much with cup and cores...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have shot the Tripple shocks in several calibers and they have not copper fouled any more than say a nosler bullet...I am very tedious in my reloading.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I also get a lot of blue when cleaning, but after 20-30 rounds per shooting session, accuracy is still good. I've never shot any of my rifles (except the ML) to the point where the fouling adversely affected accuracy. That dang ML though.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

has anyone experienced problems switching between the TSX and cup and core bullets without cleaning???

I had a couple rifles that didn't want to shoot the TSX well, and then I followed Barnes' suggestion to thoroughly clean out the old gilding metal fouling beofre shooting the TSX through that barrel. It worked - after a complete cleaning ( Hoppes for powder fouling, then Wipe-out or Montana Extreme for copper) the rifles shot the TSXs very well.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (673, 7mm_Loco, 204guy, 2ndwind, 222ND, 32 invisible), 3,199 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,778
Posts18,535,988
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.