Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
22WRF,

PM me if you are going to be hunting around Livingston. If so, I can help and I think you will have a chance.

Jeff

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
22wrf
Don't take the kidding serious, it makes things worse.

While not elk, this is how it can be: Have a friend whose son usually kills a big Whitetail in the Pa. mountains bow hunting each year. Now this year during scouting he found an area with a lot of Grouse and a big Buck, and told his Dad. His Dad and I hunt Grouse together and the Dad naturally asked where? The son just laughed and said, "Yea, I'm going to tell you two and have you go in there and run that buck out. Keep dreaming." He will eventually let us know, but it will not be until he either kills that deer or another one. No sense in asking for a general proximity either. It's just not going to happen. We all understand and get a kick out of the whole deal.

I'm no big time-or little time for that matter-elk hunter, but I wouldn't expect guys to just volunteer up a choice spot, especially over the internet.

Nobody is being a smart azz. Just the way it is.

Last edited by battue; 11/06/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I am leaving for Montana on Monday. And if I find a good spot, and it is on public land, I will be happy to share that spot with anyone who asks me.

I guess that is my definition of a good sportsman.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
that'll just ruin it for the locals that have been hunting that spot for years... think about it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure if you have explored the Block Management system at all, but for starters, I generally wouldn't recommend the areas that only have sign in sheets, as these are just about as crowded as public lands. The best places are typically booked well in advance by calling the landowners. I can recommend a name for you to call if you PM me. Talking to the landowners will also get you the very specific current advice you are looking for, and it's FREE! Since it doesn't sound like you will just be weekend hunting there's a chance you can get in on some properties that aren't being hunted midweek.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 22WRF
And if I find a good spot, and it is on public land, I will be happy to share that spot with anyone who asks me.

Before or after you are done hunting it?

Addition: Have a great trip and hope you have some critter pics to share.

Last edited by battue; 11/06/09.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
How things can quickly change. Just got a call from the Dad. He and the son wanted me to come up to camp. They have pounded the Grouse the last two days. I was supposed to be working, but came down with some number of flu and have been up and down for the last couple. We had a bad connection and got cut off. Either a deer died or the son gave in. Lots of luck involved in this hunting stuff. Hope you have a bunch of it.

22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
either way

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have a good trip and hopefully this will be your year to get into them. Find sign and go get um. Take care.

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thank you Jimmy.

IC B3

22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I can report that I hunted hard for 5 days. I hunted in the pre-dawn, and during the snow. I made sure I was at least a mile back from the roads, and probably more than a couple miles on a few occasions.

No elk. No elk tracks. Thats 4 years without seeing an elk.

But I had fun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Perseverance will eventually pay off. Good on ya.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad you had fun, but that's gotta be frustrating also. I would have been happy to steer you somewhere that had been productive for me when i lived in MT.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well, I don't mind saying where I went this time. I went to the Little Belt Mountains. Basically west from Livingston. If you go to the North quite a bit of the land bordering the Lewis and Clark is private and they mean it. I spoke to a couple of guys who absolutely would not allow hunting. (in previous years I have gone twice just north of Yellowstone and once over in the Beaverheads)

So I went further south and West from Utica off of the South Fork of the Judith River.

There seemed to be a lot of local hunters there so I was confident that there were elk to be gotten or otherwise the locals would not have been there.

But I did not hear a rifle shot in 5 days.

Saw one nice trophy quality mule deer. Alas, he was on the other side of a fence, meaning on private land.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

There seemed to be a lot of local hunters there so I was confident that there were elk to be gotten or otherwise the locals would not have been there.

If I were you I'd consider rethinking my strategy for finding critters.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like my fishing strategy - just find a bunch of boats and go there. There must be TONS of fish there, why else would everybody be fishing right there? Granted, it has been said that I'm the single worst fisherman on the planet. I think I could do really well if they would lift the ban on fishing with explosives, however.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ranger1-I totally disagree with you.....I am the single worst fisherman... wink

And when did they ban explosives?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't know, bad fisherman scoff at how bad I am.

22WRF Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer

If I were you I'd consider rethinking my strategy for finding critters.

I already did that by starting this thread asking for advise on where I might go to have a good chance at an elk. There were no takers.

Since you seem to know something about it, please tell me what you know.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm not claiming to know all about hunting elk, but I think that basing a hunting plan on following large groups of "locals" is very questionable logic.
My honest advice is to learn more about elk habits in the area you plan to hunt. Learn what the local vegetation is and what it has to offer the game species that you plan to pursue (elk in this case) in different seasons and conditions. Look at scientific journals, College/University extension sites, and professional wildlife texts for this information. Call the regional Fish Wildlife and Parks office and find out what you can from them. There is a lot of info on-line at the Montana FWP site in this vein as well.
Look at maps, photos, and scout the area to determine what types of landform and vegetation they might prefer at different times of year in the specific region you plan to hunt. Take hunting pressure (accessability via roads and trails is obviously important) and weather into consideration.
I think that spending more time planning and focusing your efforts on areas that should biologically hold elk would be much more beneficial than simply hiking through the forest hoping to bump into something.
Make your own luck, don't expect to score unless you give yourself good odds. There is always a learning curve for a new area that must be overcome. Take notes on what you see where and when so you can plan better for next year.
I hope you are more successful on future hunts.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (808outdoors, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 21 invisible), 14,520 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,984
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.