Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Heeler Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Guys, I would like your thoughts, both pro's and con's, on these two states for elk hunting.
Some friends and I are putting a trip together for 2011 and just wanted some friendly advice.
The reason I have selected these two states is that I know an outfitter in New Mexico that hunts 16B and then also an outfitter that hunts in the Clearwater in Idaho.

Thanks for your help.
Brad

He went over yonder way
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If one wants huge elk and can afford it, I'd do New Mexico. With more public land in Idaho, one may have more competition.

1Minute
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I don't beleive there are wolves in New Mexico yet.After spending time in both Idaho and Mont. in the last couple of years the lack of wolves would make it an easy choice for me.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Don't know about ID, but in NM, unless you have a land owner voucher, it's the luck of the draw with np preference points awarded. Typically people I know in NM get to hunt elk about once every three years. In addition,the High Demand hunts or quality hunts, are about $850-$900 a tag for nonresidents

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/17/09.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Heeler Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Don't know about ID, but in NM, unless you have a land owner voucher, it's the luck of the draw with np preference points awarded. Typically people I know in NM get to hunt elk about once every three years. In addition,the High Demand hunts or quality hunts, are about $850-$900 a tag for nonresidents

Yeah, those Quality or High Demand tags are pretty darn expensive. I think they are $800 +/- right now. I believe you can apply as a group so that would help I hope.

He went over yonder way
IC B2

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by timat46
I don't beleive there are wolves in New Mexico yet.After spending time in both Idaho and Mont. in the last couple of years the lack of wolves would make it an easy choice for me.

Yes, there are wolves in NM, the only ones I have seen were in 16B but they are throughout the Gila.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Have hunted NM 16B for 30 yrs. An outfitter or horses is a must since the unit is wilderness. There are wolves in the Gila. Good luck drawing a tag. Are you going to apply for a bow or rifle tag?
JD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have more faith in winning the powerball jackpot with a one dollar ticket, then drawing an NM elk tag! I'd say put in for the NM draw, but here again your probably more likely to get struck by lightning on a clear day, then get a tag.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by LNF150

I have more faith in winning the powerball jackpot with a one dollar ticket, then drawing an NM elk tag! I'd say put in for the NM draw, but here again your probably more likely to get struck by lightning on a clear day, then get a tag.

+100

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by LNF150

Me too! I have drawn 1 cow tag in 10 years of trying in this 3rd world state...

IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
New Mexico is one of the few states where it is possible to draw a tag every year. Especially an non resident. King Bill likes your money. I hear you on not drawing tags, but I am hopeful! There are units easier to draw than the Gila. Good luck and our scrawny wolves are down in the 15/16 units.

Good Shooting!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hunt every 3 years ??
it's been 6 years since i've drawn a deer tag, and my 1 and only elk tag was 4 years ago out of 13 years, for unit 16e.

won't ever hunt that unit again, what a [bleep] hole...

good luck drawing !

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You can draw a cow tag in the units without to many elk. But it is hard to draw in the good units. Deer, whats that? haven't seen a deer tag in so long I can't remember. Twice as many elk now as in the 70's, 1/3 fewer tags available. Deer are slowly declining and elk are taking there place. Private land tags are a little pricey, but if you can afford it, it is a good way to go. Lets not talk about wolves, they will be here soon enough. KDJ

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
It all starts with voting my fellow New Mexicans and until this state quits putting in these slimy Dems that cater to the land owner system and shoot at will on your land because those nasty elk are eating Margret's tullips. My rant is over and I have not had a deer tag in some time as well. Non residents still have the best shot coming here due to the way the system is set up. My buddy hunts here more than I do as a resident!! I went to Colorado this year.

Good Shooting!
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Who is your possible outfitter in ID? The clearwater has but a fraction of the elk it did 10 years ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put in for a bull tag the 16 units every year and have not drawn a tag since 1995. I go to Colorado for my elk meat and the chance to kill a decent bull (which I do, on average, about every other year). Cow tags in NM are not hard to draw and there are usually left-over tags in quite a few units. I can get a deer tag about every year because I apply in two units that have very limited access to public lands.

Outfitters in the Gila usually have both public land and private land tags, but they are pricey. The good ranches in northern New Mexico are even more expensive to hunt, but you stand a very good chance of harvesting a really nice bull. Mexican wolves have had a negligible affect on elk numbers. There are a lot of elk and very few wolves, and the wolves seem to prefer to prey on domestic livestock rather than wild elk and deer.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
So how hard are tags in the Rio Las Vacas, San Pedro Parks area to get? Also,Pecos Wilderness above Jacks Creek over to Trail Riders Wall, Truchas Peak and such?
I killed my first bull NE of Questa in about 1966

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
So how hard are tags in the Rio Las Vacas, San Pedro Parks area to get? Also,Pecos Wilderness above Jacks Creek over to Trail Riders Wall, Truchas Peak and such?

The San Pedro parks area is unit 6A, for a Res. first rifle hunt is under 10% chance (around 6 or 7 IIRC)

Jacks Creek/Iron Gate area is 44/45, for a Res. it is around 10% to 15%.

I am not sure what the Non-Res. chances are. The odds go up slightly for the second hunt.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by SLM

The San Pedro parks area is unit 6A, for a Res. first rifle hunt is under 10% chance (around 6 or 7 IIRC)

Jacks Creek/Iron Gate area is 44/45, for a Res. it is around 10% to 15%.

I am not sure what the Non-Res. chances are. The odds go up slightly for the second hunt.

They get better for ML too.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Even better yet for archery! You will need a packer though in 45 Pecos or a big friend!

Good Shooting!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (2500HD, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,529 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,920
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.