Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Have you shoot the new hoyt alphabuner

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nope. my alphamax is such a great bow that I'm not looking for a few years...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm still shooting a Hoyt Pro-Medalist and a Hoyt Pro-Hunter, both from the 1970's... old stuff... What can I say?

Sorry I can't add anything important to the thread... I just kind of get bow-lust thinking about all the new stuff available...

L
les7mm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I didn't like the alphamax

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot the 2010 Hoyt lineup a couple weeks ago. The Carbon Matrix (carbon fiber riser) was the highlight, this thing is very cool and the wave of the future. It shot very solid, held nice but had the stiff drawing XTR cam. Neat bow, but for $1600, I'm out. I also shot the Maxxis 32 and 35's, to me they felt the same as the Alphamax 32 and 35's.......nice bows, held solid, shot solid, very dead in the hand, drew stiffly with the XTR cams and overall super quality. I still prefer the Alphamax myself - I just like the more traditional limb angle and ever so slight push forward at the shot. Next was the Alphaburner. It is fassssssst, whoa. Easily the best shooting speed bow I have ever shot. Very nice fit, finish (As all the bows were) and solid at the shot. This bow did have a bit of so called 'hand shock' but in my opinion 'just the right amount'. At the shot it would recoil forward ever so slightly. The bow I shot only had a rest, no sight, stabilizer etc. At the shot the bottom limb kicked out a bit ahead of the top, but I think this would be negated with a sight and stabilizer leaving a very ballanced bow. As opposed to the Mathews Monster that starts out top heavy and gets worse with accessories. This bow would be a sweet 3d rig, but for hunting I'd go with the Alphamax 35 or Turbohawk if money is an issue. Neat stuff and fun to try, but for me the old Ultratec is going to be used another season.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Centershot,
Those UltraTecs were NICE and they were "shooters".
I wouldn't be in a hurry to get rid of your old bow, either.
Wasn't it a 37" axle length and 7" brace height?

I have the 2006 Trykon XL, but yours is better yet.
I know what you mean about getting the bug for something new, though. It's fun.
...but would the newer ones shoot better than ours? Maybe, but probably not.

Last edited by Two503000; 11/24/09.

Phil
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love my Alpha Max, it took me a little while to get used to it after shooting my Hoyt Heat Superslam for 15 or 16 years, but It's a great bow!!

HUNTERS, THE ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two503000, I hear you, I may have to be buried with the old Ultratec. I keep trying to find something better each year, but when I shoot them side by side with old reliable......I keep passing. Just shot a nice buck with it last Friday. Man if I notched the riser for each critter it's taken, I'd have it nearly sawn in half. If I remember correctly it has a 7" brace height, 37 3/4" axle to axle and shoots Beman ICS arrows (390gr) at 276 fps at 60#......very accurately.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by centershot
I shot the 2010 Hoyt lineup a couple weeks ago. The Carbon Matrix (carbon fiber riser) was the highlight, this thing is very cool and the wave of the future. It shot very solid, held nice but had the stiff drawing XTR cam. Neat bow, but for $1600, I'm out. I also shot the Maxxis 32 and 35's, to me they felt the same as the Alphamax 32 and 35's.......nice bows, held solid, shot solid, very dead in the hand, drew stiffly with the XTR cams and overall super quality. I still prefer the Alphamax myself - I just like the more traditional limb angle and ever so slight push forward at the shot. Next was the Alphaburner. It is fassssssst, whoa. Easily the best shooting speed bow I have ever shot. Very nice fit, finish (As all the bows were) and solid at the shot. This bow did have a bit of so called 'hand shock' but in my opinion 'just the right amount'. At the shot it would recoil forward ever so slightly. The bow I shot only had a rest, no sight, stabilizer etc. At the shot the bottom limb kicked out a bit ahead of the top, but I think this would be negated with a sight and stabilizer leaving a very ballanced bow. As opposed to the Mathews Monster that starts out top heavy and gets worse with accessories. This bow would be a sweet 3d rig, but for hunting I'd go with the Alphamax 35 or Turbohawk if money is an issue. Neat stuff and fun to try, but for me the old Ultratec is going to be used another season.

Centershot, lefty here so trying these new bows is tough. What would be your comments on the wall and valley of the Maxxis bows.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I LOVE my Hoyt Vulcan. With the prices of the new bows I'll be keeping mine for a while. That doesn't mean I don't still drool over the new ones. LOL

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hello Lefty, the wall on the Maxxis is solid. It's the same cam as the Alphamax if you've tried one of those. The cam has and adjustable peg on the bottom cam and a little foot machined on the top cam with a rubber bumper. The rubber bumper can be taken out is you want. Not sure what your used to for a wall, but it is much more solid and firm than the Cam and 1/2 on my Ultratec.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Skyy longbow built by Earl Hoyt Jr. that I like. Does that count? wink

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
thanks Center.
I met with the Hoyt rep tonight and saw the new bows- in RH- and shot the short Alpha max. tough to tell, the draw was and inch or more short for me but it drew and shot well. According to the rep only minor changes from AM to Maxxis.

The only other LH bow they had at the shop was Mathews Reezon- dang that drew and shot nice- and faster than the Alphamax in a longer axle [which I like] Still not enough to make me dump my 06 Allegiance

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 222Sako, 2500HD, 12344mag, 204guy, 58 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,506
Posts18,509,299
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.