-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
does anyone have any experience with these i really like the fact that they have a clear lens for the (just in case) situation. how do they compare to the screw in leupold covers as far as weather tightness? I live in the rain and water and fog are a constant battle. ive tried the older models of b/c covers but when i opened them and then closed them the rain that got in there would fog up yhe scope. did they fix this problem or am i stuck with it?

the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I really like the Blizzard, and use them on all my scopes. They definitely seal the scope from moisture, I've never had one fog up on me with the cap closed. I like them because they keep crap or moisture from getting into my expensive lenses, and if I'm shooting at twilight, or at long range, I can just flip open the cap to get all the light that the scope can offer, but if I'm just taking a quick snap shot at a buck that I've just jumped out of the bush, I don't have to worry about opening the cap. I also don't have to worry about cleaning the cap with my cotton T-shirt and scratching up the lens- when it gets too scratched up from cleaning it, I just replace it.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
DO YOU (OR ANYONE ELSE) KNOW IF YOU CAN REPLACE THE LENSES ONCE THEY GET ALL SCRATCHED UP? OR DO YOU HAVE TO BUY NEW COVERS?

the early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have only just started using scope covers but I now have a set of the blizzard clear ones and the solid non transparent ones. I am referring to the objective end here, the eye peace has the solid cap with the little red button.

Observations on the object end covers:
The solid ones are stiffer and therefore seal better. Also make a louder pop when you flick them up.
The lenses sometimes fall out of the clear ones (one in the shop had fallen out).
The old man brought a set for his 50mm objective scope. He said the clarity of the lenses was a lot worse on the 50mm covers than it was on the 32mm ones he had.

The red button on the eyepeice catches on your clothes sometimes when you have the rifle on the sling. I rotated them slightly so that the red button is further under the barrel to fix this.

The old model scope covers came with a small adhesive bit of foam rubber to put in the hinge area. This quietens them somewhat (you still get the inital pop as they open).
I brought a strip of adhesive backed neoplean to fit to all my scopes.

Both types are rain proof in most, but not all situations. The solid ones seal a little better than the clear ones as they are stiffer.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've used a set of the clear Blizzards for a long time on one of my scopes. I've never had a problem with them, but I don't really hunt in rain much.

I do not use the little button pusher type on the rear lens; instead I just figure out which size "front" lens I need to fit on the rear. It seems easier for me to flip the cover up with my thumb than monkey around pushing a flexible button.

I would have to say I've never shot through the scope with the clear covers on, but I suppose one could do so if 'necessary' on a quick shot. I would be sure to test POI at the range first if I planned to do that.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've used a lot of them on various rifles, and I also use an "objective" cap on the ocular lens. I rarely need to flip the caps open, unless I'm shooting in low light or at long-range. I've carried my rifles in the freezing snow that we get around here, as well as in the rain and fog. Never yet has one of my caps let moisture inside.

I've also done quite a bit of POI testing, and the caps don't seem to change POI at all.

I know that Butler Creek had a bad batch of Blizzard caps at one point when they switched from blue packaging to red packaging, in that the lens clarity was AWFUL! The image was completely distorted with those lenses. The do seem to have the problem all ironed out, now, however.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My main issue with the B/C blizzards is how the clear plastic lens is retained -- metal ring and small plastic "fins."

So after 5 or so years fussing with the blizzards, I am giving the Quake Bushwackers a go -- solid, single lens construction. From limited work in the field I can report... so far, so good.

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Any pics of the Bushwackers? Do you think they are stronger, more solid, less breakage, etc?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
So far, I would say the Bushwackers appear to be a simpler, more solid design. The rubber used for the cups is a little softer making them easier to manage on and off and the lens is one-piece construction versus the ring and plastic fins of the B/C Blizzards.

Pics can be found searching "Quake Bushwacker" in any search engine.

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 29aholic, 33 invisible), 3,018 guests, and 1,004 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,641
Posts18,533,619
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.