Print Thread
Hop To
P
pjf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Garmin introduced the Dakota 20 GPS unit this summer and it is one of the latest GPS hiking units. It is compact with a 4 inch length. Compared to the eTrex, it has a larger 2.6� screen, a 3-axis compass, and a touch capability instead of buttons.

The Dakota 20 retails for about $350 from www.rei.com. For $400, I purchased it bundled with a topographical map DVD, USB cable, lanyard and case

I used my Dakota for the first time a couple of weeks ago for a snowshoe trek to a 10th Mountain Division Hut near Vail Pass. Waypoints can be entered directly into the Dakota or via a computer download. I entered the coordinates for the hut via the Dakota�s touch screen. Using my computer and the supplied DVD, I defined additional waypoints along the trail. The topographical map of the Vail Pass area with waypoints was then downloaded to the Dakota. The standard USB cable supplies power to the Dakota during the downloading process. The Garmin software was intuitive. Pointing and clicking were all that were needed to define the additional waypoints and to download the map.

My daughter and I were nervous about this trek because we attempted the same trek last spring when a snowstorm forced us back. While the storm was relatively mild, the lack of visibility kept us from finding our way. This time, I was confident that with a GPS unit, we can reach our destination despite the weather.

During the trek, the neck lanyard held the Dakota within easy reach and allowed me to view the GPS unit periodically as we progressed to the hut. The Dakota�s touch screen could be operated through the plastic window of the case. Although the weather was cold, the two AA lithium batteries that I inserted into the Dakota never faltered. The battery life is supposed to be 20 hours.

Just like last spring, predictions of inclement weather preceded our trek. This time, the Dakota kept us on the trail. Of nine persons who purchased reservations for the hut, only 3 reached the destination, including my daughter and me. If you are looking for a compact hiking GPS unit with the latest features, I highly recommend the Garmin Dakota 20.

GB1

P
pjf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
For those leary of touchscreens being scratched, transparent protective films made by Zagg may provide the solution. I've just installed a Zagg "Invisible Shield" (http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield...reen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php) over the touchscreen of my Dakota 20. The film comes cut-to-fit and does not appear to dull the sensitivity of the touchscreen.

To protection the Dakota from a fall, I added a Garmin "Silicone Skin" (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=38256#productTab) and discarded the slip case. Everything fits together securely and tastefully.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1234, 1badf350, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 17,644 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,896
Posts18,538,635
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.