Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3519035 11/28/09
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Lookin at gettin a new release to go with my new bow. Was thinkin of tryin a thumb release instead of the wrist strap release I already have and was using with my other bow.

What do yall recommend? What do yall use? What have yall tried and liked or disliked?

This will be for a hunting bow. Draw weight 62lb, and draw length 28" (If that makes a difference)

Last edited by SnowHunter; 11/28/09.

Nic
Lovin life as a farmer and wife!
X2 Farm
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Cant help ya, I hate thumb releases.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tom264
Cant help ya, I hate thumb releases.
+1

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Carters are nice as are the Stanislawskis......Tru-balls seem to be a bit temperamental. I have an older Carter Target 3 I might sell, let me know if your interested.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Carter thumb releases are the only ones I have really used and liked, but for hunting applications I am not a fan. The main reason is I am less comfortable with a thumb release for those shots that call for a large variation/swing from the standard shooting position.

FWIW, none of the arrowslingers I hunt with use a thumb release.

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I really like my Carter Jus-B-Cuz for hunting. It's nice to just hang it on the string loop, no wrist strap always flopping around in your hand.

There are so many good ones out there, what fits me may not be right for you.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
FWIW, I don't stand hunt. I'm a cheeeeeeeeeekin like that grin This would be for OTG hunting, and at home target practice.

What I have right now, is a Tru-Fire wrist strap release, and I like it, but, the thumb release intrigues me...

Nic
X2 Farm
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Never really warmed up to thumb releases.
I currently use the Tru-Fire Judge, a wrist release model.
I really like it because it is easily adjustable for length, trigger pull weight, and travel. It can be really fine tuned for your needs.

In fact, I've got two of them, each set up exactly like the other, in case of loss or mechanical failure, I'm still good to go.

It works particularly well for me, as I use a back tension type of release style, and this release really helps make it work.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SnowHunter
Lookin at gettin a new release to go with my new bow. Was thinkin of tryin a thumb release instead of the wrist strap release I already have and was using with my other bow.

What do yall recommend? What do yall use? What have yall tried and liked or disliked?

This will be for a hunting bow. Draw weight 62lb, and draw length 28" (If that makes a difference)

First of all, for a lady I'm surprised that you shoot 62 lbs and have a 28" draw length.

Holy smokes, that what my hunting bow is set at and I'm 6' 3" tall and weigh 230 lbs.

Well anyhow, I have a T.R.U. Ball Pro Diamond thumb release and it works just fine.

To get the most out of a thumb release though, you really have to master the back tension method of shooting as opposed to punching the trigger with your index finger or thumb.

The back tension method combined with a T handle release also is the fastest way I know to cure target panic.

A friend of mine had target panic real bad and switched to a T handle release that just hooks on the D loop and requires you to twist it slightly to fire rather than pull or press a trigger.

He lost a few arrows getting used to it, but his groups got a lot smaller and he got rid of his target panic.

Give the thumb release a try ............what have you got to lose?

Here's a limk to the T.R.U. Ball web site and the Pro Diamond release.

http://www.truball.com/ProDiamond_Xtreme.html

Good luck.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Carters are awesome. As far as thumb release I really like the carter "just b cuz." I tried a thumb release. I liked it, but then went back to a index release. I got a carter rx1.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I never can get comfortable pulling with my wrist. I need a thumb release that I can grip and pull with my hand. We all have our quirks, likes, and dislikes.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
pjf Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

You can have both a thumb release and an optional wrist strap. I use a 4-finger TRU Ball ST360 with a thumb release and a removable wrist strap (http://www.truball.com/ST360.html). I prefer pulling back with 4 fingers than with the wrist strap. You can add a wrist strap or a lanyard to the TRU Ball to avoid losing the release in the field.

There are two possible downsides to the ST360. There is an audible "click" noise upon release. Another potential downside is the open hook. You cannot leave it hanging on the D-loop because the hook does not close.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a couple of thumb releases. I think they really help with target panic and or punching but your anchor will be much different if you are currently using a trigger, which will take some getting used to. I would not buy without trying.

Thumb relaeses are generally slower to load than triggers but the Truball caliper is pretty fast.

I like the Carters best and no doubt they are the best quality.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
P
pjf Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

I consider myself a novice so take what I say with a grain of salt. I do prefer pulling back a bow with a straight 4-finger T-handle instead of a wrist strap.

(1) I used to own a thumb-trigger caliper release (http://www.truball.com/Hunting.html). While I like the thumb-trigger part of the release, I did not like the caliper-style because its trigger does not break crisply like that of a rifle trigger. The caliper opens slowly in proportion to the pressure on the trigger. Nevertheless, the calipers are quiet, the head rotates freely to avoid string twist, the 4-finger T-handle of the TRU Ball is a pleasure to pull back, and you can add a wrist strap or lanyard. I stayed away from the �Xtreme� version of the Pro Diamond because it requires a wider spacing between your index and middle fingers.

(2) I like my thumb-trigger hook release (http://www.truball.com/ST360_4.html). The hook releases have triggers that break crisply but are noisy. The ST360 has a 360-degree head that can be preset to any angle and can be purchased with a 3 or 4-finger T-handle. You can add straps or lanyards (http://www.truball.com/v-lock.html). The only quiet hook releases I�ve tried are the ones with wrist straps (http://www.truball.com/ShortNSweet_S1.html) because they are specifically designed for hunters.

(3) I�ve tried a back tension release, the Scott Longhorn with a 4-finger T-handle. It also comes in a �Hunter� model with a wrist strap (http://www.scottarchery.com/back-tension-releases/longhorn-series-releases-longhorn-hunter.php). The advantage of this model is that you can place a small rubber band on the hook to keep it set in place. Otherwise, you may need two hands to set the hook. This can be quite cumbersome during a hunt. The arrow is released when you use your small fingers to rotate the handle back. A �click-groove� on the release can give you a soft �click� sound to let you know that it is almost at the point of release. This is akin to taking up the trigger slack on a rifle. Without the click-groove or without a safety mechanism, I would not use a back tension release for hunting because it's too easy to accidentally shoot the arrow. Nevertheless, I find that back tension releases tend to be quiet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nemisis you beat me to it, I am also shooting 28" and low 60's. When I looked into this I thought exactly the same thing!

I have shot with a 1/2 dozen ladies and everyone had the same kind of struggle with finding a comfortable bow at the draw and weight that they liked. Any lady that can draw 28" and shoot 62lbs is right in the sweet spot of all archery gear.

I just never met a single one that could draw over about 50-55lbs comfortable, or would have enjoyed it as the weights got higher then 50. Heck I know a whole ton of guys that won't shoot more then 60-65lbs. Most lady "pro hunters" are shooting under 50lbs, Even uncle Teds wife shoots 40lbs. She actually got into a bit of a struggle with the law over a magazine article he Wrote where it stated she shot a 38lb bow and the state minimum where they hunted was 40lbs. It was cleared up later with some excellent "spin" control but that's another topic.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I can draw the weight! Other bow is 55lb, and it felt like drawin a kids bow. I knew when I got another bow, I wanted it with some more poundage, and Im happy I got it smile Draws smooth and easy.

Now to get it zero'd and practice.

I preciate all the information bout the releases. I think Im gonna stick with my wrist strap release for now and see how it works, while I'm gettin back in tune with the new bow. smile

Nic
X2 Farm
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What bow do you shoot? Are you using a string loop?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Reflex Bighorn Hunter, and yes, its got a string loop.

Nic
X2 Farm
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing wrong with index finger relases........and yes they can be shot with back tension. And thumb triggers can be punched. No real magic releases, the shooter still has to pay attention and make a good shot. Just try as many as you can and find what is comfortable, consistant and gives you a good suprise release.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
P
pjf Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by nemesis
To get the most out of a thumb release though, you really have to master the back tension method of shooting as opposed to punching the trigger with your index finger or thumb.

The back tension method combined with a T handle release also is the fastest way I know to cure target panic.

Originally Posted by centershot
Nothing wrong with index finger relases........and yes they can be shot with back tension.

I tend to equate back tension releases with half-moon hinged releases. How does one use back tension methods for thumb and index finger releases?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (1shotnokilz, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 160user, 1234, 76 invisible), 3,589 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,636
Posts18,533,365
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.