Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by pjf
How does one use back tension methods for thumb and index finger releases?
Two things I typically have folks do when they are target panic or "aggressive" trigger punchers...
1 - Lay/overlap their middle finger over the index finger on their shooting hand.
2 - Take an exaggerated deep breath as they squeeze/pull the trigger
IMO, the real key to back tension shooting any release is to limit finger movement and increase shoulder blade travel.

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hello, I bought 2: a Spot Hogg and a Carter. I wound up giving both of them away. When you use one, you anchor with your knuckles flat against your cheek and your pinkie up in the air. I found this very uncomfortable. I got a decent enough anchor, my middle knuckle in the corner of my mouth, but I couldn't get the twisted wrist. A lot of archery folks don't like them because they twist your string loop and torque the string. I don't know how much. I use a Scott mongoose, a little goose, and a saber tooth. They are all nice. I like the fact that you open them, you close them. Compared to a Tru Ball, say, it's always closed and you have to pull the trigger to open it and release it to close it. Spring loaded, I guess would be the word.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The best thing that stopped the trigger punch for me 100% was the carter tension release. I had that target panic really bad and had no idea when it was gonna happen. I was to the point of actually giving up archery.

The carter release that goes off when you pull against the wall is a real cure for target panic. I have not had it come back and I have been panic free for about 8 months now.

There is no trigger on this release, you simply continue to draw until the bow fires. You only focus on the pin, not the trigger. It's genius!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To shoot an index finger release with back tension, you have to get the release set up where you can rest your finger on the trigger without it going off, then just pull and the strap gives enough to fire the release. I typically shoot my index finger release to about a 56X 300 Average on a NFAA target. I also shoot a Scott Longhorn 2 (half moon back tension). Shot it all day yesterday at vegas spots, shot a few 9's but most were in the 10 ring. For me a good shot is a good shot, regardless of the release......where it get interesting is a poor shot. With those my index finger release will shoot closer to the X. As for the thumb triggers.....well I can punch my Carter Target 3 hard as my Lil Bitty Goose.....and a bad shot with it ends up out in the 4 ring.

Last edited by centershot; 11/30/09.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SnowHunter
Well, I can draw the weight! Other bow is 55lb, and it felt like drawin a kids bow. I knew when I got another bow, I wanted it with some more poundage, and Im happy I got it smile Draws smooth and easy.

Now to get it zero'd and practice.

I preciate all the information bout the releases. I think Im gonna stick with my wrist strap release for now and see how it works, while I'm gettin back in tune with the new bow. smile

Snowhunter,

What kind of bow scale are you using to measure that draw weight on?

62 lbs. still seems a little hefty to me.

Just saying.........

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nemesis
Well, I can draw the weight! Other bow is 55lb, and it felt like drawin a kids bow. I knew when I got another bow, I wanted it with some more poundage, and Im happy I got it smile Draws smooth and easy.

I preciate all the information bout the releases. I think Im gonna stick with my wrist strap release for now and see how it works, while I'm gettin back in tune with the new bow. smile

Snowhunter,

Just saying.........

Had it measured at the local archery shop. T'aint hefty...feels just right to me grin

Nic
Lovin life as a farmer and wife!
X2 Farm
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nemesis

Snowhunter,

Just saying.........

Had it measured at the local archery shop. T'aint hefty...feels just right to me grin

OK............whatever you say.

You should be able to hold your bow out in front of you and draw it straight back to your anchor point without raising the tip of the arrow.

If you can you do that consistently.........then go for it!!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So its assumed I can't pull it cuz I'm a gal?

Just sayin..... wink

Nic
X2 Farm
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
SnowHunter - I shot the Carter RX1, RX2, Like Mike, Chocolate Addiction, Chocolate Lite 3 and 4 finger releases today at a shop.

While I could give you "my" recommendation, you truly need to shoot them for yourself.

I also learned that the Carter Index Finger releases are mad to be shot from your 2nd knuckle of your finger. This is to simulate a "back tension" type of release and not taping the trigger. In essence this method keeps the "surprise" of the shot, otherwise your mind has to tell your finger to press the trigger and there is no surprise.

But, I REALLY like the Like Mike and Chocolate Lite the best.

I currently shoot a Scott Wildcat and it has never failed me in the 4+ yrs of use. I was just looking for something that might improve my accuracy a little more.

Last edited by WindedBowhunter; 12/02/09.

Keep the wind in your face!
Certified NASP & Explore Bowhunting Instructor
APA Archery, Victory Arrows, Hamskea, Stokerized ProStaff
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I ended up gettin a TruBall Stinger wrist strap style release. Most affordable one they had at the local archery shot. (The thumb release they had was $180 shocked ) Lawdy this is a nice release. Smooth light trigger. Took me a few shots to get used to it. First time I've had a buckle strap, and it fits better as well. Appreciate all the info yall gave me. Think I'll stick with this TruBall for now!!

Nic
X2 Farm
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you get a hankering to try more and different releases, Archerytalk classifieds have tons of lightly used releases for sale at big savings over buying new...you may even find someone to trade some of your old ones with. If there is a local club, most guys will let you try thiers also.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does anybody use a Winn Free Flite anymore? This is the first release I owned. Killed a lot of deer, foam, and paper with it. Collected a bunch of trophys too. It's easy to use with or without a loop, and rock solid on the wrist.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
T
T
I shoot a Winn Free Flite and really like it because it actually reduces the felt "pull weight" and I need that because of a weak shoulder. I just changed to a Tru-Flite Hurricane glove release and it is very similar. More comfortable, can be used with a string loop, but doesn't offer the same relief from the pull weight. The jury is still out on the Tru-Flite.

Last edited by tarawa; 12/09/09.

Life Is For Service
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (260Remguy, 358wsm, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 257wthbylover, 16 invisible), 2,182 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,679
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.