Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tmax264 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I'm considering getting a new rifle once I can convince momma I really, realllly need another one and am thinking about a Browning 325WSM with the BOSS. Range shooting is in the back 40 on my own property so noise isn't a problem. As I understand it they have a non-ported sleeve for hunting. How much does it help with recoil? I'm not a wimp (I have a 300 Weatherby) but don't enjoy extra recoil just for the fun of it. I'm sure this has been discussed ad nauseum in the past but after searching the campfire I didn't come up any threads discussing the merits/demerits.

An armed member in a country is a citizen, an unarmed member is a subject.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From what I've heard they do work, but they do detract from the looks of the rifle.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It will make a 30-06 feel like a 243 . Another plus, my A-Bolt SS Stalker groups every load i have tried under a inch both factory and handloads.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If sleeved, one will absorb the recoil and point of impact may shift from the ported state. On the upside, one can pick his bullet, load or velocity and make the rife to shoot well. Most of us play with slugs and loads, and maybe compromise on velocity and slugs until we find something that works.

In hindsight, they should have simply started with a non ported tuner. That concept is a good one, but the noise drove many away.

Last edited by 1minute; 12/01/09.

1Minute
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
You will probably use the muzzle brake version of the BOSS precisely once. They count the length of the BOSS as part of the barrel length. That is something they carefully conceal. So if you order a 22" barrel, you will get 20" of real barrel and 2" of BOSS. The muzzle blast from a short barrel like that is impressive. With the brake version of the BOSS, it is more than that. Of course, the brake version does substantially reduce recoil.

The good news is that the BOSS does improve accuracy. My 30-06 reliably puts 5 shots into 3/4" at 100 yards. That's really useful for long shots on pronghorn. The bad news is that it can be a booger to adjust. The other good news is that if you set it at the factory recommendation for your cartridge, you will probably hit the sweet spot.

Be not weary in well doing.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The vented BOSS is the loudest muzzle brake I have ever heard. It would deafen a brass elephant--but it will reduce felt recoil considerably.

The BOSS works as an accuracy device--witin certain limits. Once you get it tuned with a certain load, any variation from that load will change things. This includes muzzle velocity variations due to to temperature, with are a lot more common than most hunters realize. In other words, if you tune a BOSS with a certain load at 70 degrees, the same load at 30 degrees may not shoot nearly as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a 1971 Belgium BAR in 30-06 Grade 3; Shoots lights out; recoil is like a 243; Best there is; Smooth rotating nine lug bolt; dead on acurracy out to 250 yds;

I wouldn't trade it for anything

Mike Walker
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't buy a Boss if you like to try a lot of different loads and bullet weights. You will be constantly changing settings, firing a few shots to settle the thing down and then determining if the combination works.

I had a varmint model in .223 which the factory didn't provide a "sweet spot" for. I have no idea how many rounds I fired before the sweet spot was found. After that I just went back to the old system of changing loads on the single setting. It was remarkably accurate though after being set.

Jim

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

It can't possibly be louder than my Magnaported 35 Whelen.......... cry

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Wanna bet?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot next to a Boss equipped rifle once and I'm siding with John. You could not give me one of those things.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The Belgium Browning rifles are the best in the world;
Thats why they demand the prices;
If you have a BELGIUM BROWNING firearm, It's worth a lot more money than one made in Portugal, or JAPAN;
WhY?
Hand made original machining; All hand made from local forged steel;
Original BELGIUM specs;
A machined piece of equipment ( A Hunting Rifle)

Will take a Belgium Browning over anything else;

My Favorite is a 1971 BAR in 30-06, that kills, and kills;

enough said

Mike Walker
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a 7-08 with the ventilated Boss right after they came out, which I sighted in while wearing hearing protection. No problem. Then I used it in Wyoming for Mule Deer. I took a shot at about 165 yds and no hearing protection. It was really loud, and my ears rang for about a day.

I contacted Browning and told them that they should warn their customers about the very loud noise blast. They told me that I could buy a non-ventilated device that would not cause hearing damage. I told them I did not plan to pay for something that they should have warned their customers about ahead of time. They sent the non-ventilated device without charge. It works pretty well. But the ventilated device is pure trouble.

And hell, I did not hear that well to begin with.

Steve

Last edited by 7x57STEVE; 11/30/09.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Wanna bet?

grin

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
So let's see, we've got a device that may give a marginal improvement in accuracy over what we expect from a well put together rifle anyway these days, it significantly detracts from the rifle's appearance (in the opinion of most of us), it's one more thing to dink around with when accuracy seems to slide or when working with a new load, it requires significant attention to hearing protection even when used for hunting...

And the benefits are??

I think I'll pass.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by 7x57STEVE
I contacted Browning and told them that they should warn their customers about the very loud noise blast. They told me that I could buy a non-ventilated device that would not cause hearing damage. I told them I did not plan to pay for something that they should have warned their customers about ahead of time. They sent the non-ventilated device without charge. It works pretty well. But the ventilated device is pure trouble.Steve

FROM THE MANUAL: WARNING: THE "BOSS" INCLUDES A RECOIL REDUCING MUZZLE BRAKE WHICH PROVIDES SUBSTANTIAL INCREASED NOISE/MUZZLE BLAST. ALWAYS WEAR HEARING PROTECTION TO PREVENT HEARING LOSS OR DAMAGE.

Read the manual!

It's enlightening to see that those who have never used a B.O.S.S. don't like them and those that have used one usually swear by them. There's a pattern there and here on this forum.

I did switch to the B.O.S.S. CR (without ports) and it works just as well without the noise. Recoil isn't affected much in an auto like my BAR.

When a column of troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad and brother both have BOSS versions of the A-bolt II in .300 Win Mag. Neither gets out of the safe much these days and it's primarily due to noise. The other reason is that they aren't needed for our deer hunting smile Both are very accurate rifles and they don't handload so they have simply moved the BOSS to the recommended setting and shot factory stuff.

At the range one day, I did hear a lady in the next booth say to her husband "can you please ask him to stop shooting that thing - it's making me have to pee!". I managed to hold back laughter until I was a safe distance away smile THEY ARE LOUD!

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
The BOSS should be used as an example of marketing failure. Had Browning/Winchester not included the muzzle break it could have been a success. Asking people to pay extra for the CR version not to lose their hearing was a fatal mistake.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I agree and that's why I've never owned one. I figure if I can't handle the recoil of a certain combo without brake, I should step down.

However - I bought my brother a CR boss (no ports) and he's never even shot it. Can't understand that one as I certainly don't think a brake is required on a .300 Winny.

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bought an SS 338 M70 when they first showed up. Mine was very, very accurate and did in a lot of bears and deer. It worked well with factory loads (250 Nosler, 225 Fail Safe) and was fun to reload for and fiddle with settings.

Everything written here about them is pretty much true - definitely helps accuracy and definitely makes more noise. I wear ear protection when hunting so that was not a problem. As for looks, it is hard to hurt the looks of any dull-finished silver and black rifle - not an issue to me.

I had mine cut off - after recrowning it had 21 1/2 inches of barrel left. Looked better, kicked a LOT harder and I was never able to get it to shoot like before. I traded it off wishing I had left it alone. sick

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,538 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,086
Posts18,482,842
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.