Print Thread
Hop To
U
ULA65 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
U
Does anyone have an opinion on these broadheads? Good or bad.

Thanks

GB1

P
pjf Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have six 100-grain Epek XC-3 broadheads at the tips of my arrows. By removing a hex screw, the outer shell of the broadhead can be rotated so the blades cannot deploy through its open slots. The outer shell can then be secured by replacing the hex screw through a second screw opening.

All is not perfect. Here are some issues:

* The Epek�s blades will not deploy when used with thick arrow shafts and the Epek website does not specify a maximum shaft diameter. When the broadhead tip hits the target, the outer shell is pushed back to deploy the blades. The outer shell slides back about a centimeter and goes over the arrow shaft. Luckily, my Easton ST Excel arrow shaft is only 9/32" in diameter and permits the outer shell to slide over it. Other archers have indicated that thicker arrows, such as the Gold Tip Ultralight 22, do not permit the Epek blades to deploy.

* The Epek tip is made of aluminum and cannot be easily sharpened. I would hate to dull this tip during practice. The instructions recommend minimizing practice with broadheads you plan to hunt with. I have 3 broadheads configured for practice. The other 3 broadheads will be saved for hunting.

Since the Epek tip appears to dull easily, I would prefer a separate hunting and practice broadhead system. Converting the Epeks between practice and hunting modes does not seem to be worth the trouble. My opinion may change if Epek retails a stainless steel tip that can be sharpened but then the weight of the broadhead may be greatly increased.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The solution is to use Montec Strykers, or Slicktricks. Then the broadhead question can be taken off the table.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Saw them- a friend of a friends equipment. He is a "try the latest and greatest" and I am a "KISS/ use tried and true"

He was raving about the design though he had not shot an animal with them yet...

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (1lessdog, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 70 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,951
Posts18,499,053
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.