Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
On a TV safari show, they used a suppressed rifle for a plains game hunt. Is this common in Africa, or even legal in most African countries?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
suppressor like in sound reducer? or recoil suppressor?

they go by different names over here but they both are legal without any paper work or premision.

they are very popular amongst hunters who hunt for a living, such as hunters that are contracted to do varmint hunting, or the guys that harvest 100+ springbok a night for venison export purposes.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep, my PH in Namibia and I used his .223, suppressed, on jackals frequently..
Didn't spook 'em so bad and the odds of getting more than one per calling set-up were better..

Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LT Dan is right. In fact my PH carried an 30-06 with a sound reducer. We talked a lot about the comercial hunter efficiency, and it does makesense to not spook the herd.
Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Yes, it was a sound suppressor that I was refering to. I know that you can't completely silence a bullet that isn't subsonic; how much of a difference does the suppressor make on a rifle? It's hard to tell on a TV show. Can you comfortably shoot without ear protection?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
On my suppressd AR-15's in 5.56 caliber, they can be fired comfortably with out ear protection and I'm a weeny when it comes to noise. A good supppressor will eat up most of the muzzle blast of a bolt rifle, more so than a gas impinged semi auto. With super sonic ammo of course you will always have the sonic boom from the bullet, but that is going away from the shooter and not as discomforting.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I recently had to use my PH's .308 "culling rifle" with a suppressor, as my ammo was in my lost baggage (it got to us a day later). It shot like a .223, less kick (or so it seemed) and about as loud as a regular .22.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I believe they also help cut down on muzzle flash, really a plus when springbok hunting at night.

NRA - Life Member
GOA - Life Member
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Sounds like suppressors make alot of sense. Now if only the politicians that make the rules here had alot of sense.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now if only the politicians that make the rules here had alot of sense.

What do you mean "alot of sense"? They have no sense! If they had any sence it would be good.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've shot quite a few springbok with a suppressed .22-250 that belonged to my PH on one RSA trip. It worked great! He figured he'd killed over 10,000 springbok with that rifle. (My partber also killed a young kudy bull for meat with the same rifle, heart shot.)

Suppressed rifles are not only practical for such purposes but in some places, such as New Zealand, are considered "polite," since they are often used for culling animals near towns.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
We are not allowed them (supressors) here because someone might use them for evil. The same rationale for all gun control laws and restrictions. "Prior Restraint" allowed for some things but not for others? If that were a valid way to deal with problems, we'd ban all pointed knives and all firearms and---we'd be England! Maybe we should ban booze, cause drunks MIGHT drive and kill innocents...oh, we tried that...

In the end, the evil will gain access to weapons and tools they want in spite of well intentioned laws. The very act that is committed, that they wish to stop, is already illegal and that's no deterrent. And heroin, cocaine and other drugs have been illegal for decades but they still proliferate on our streets, so making them illegal was a success?

Those who do not learn the lessons of history...

Vagabond
NRA Benefactor Member

"I spent most of my money on guns and hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted!"
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Sound suppressors are legal even in England.

But I have a question.

The sonic boom (or crack) of a passing supersonic rifle bullet is quite loud, even 200 yards down range. Why doesn't that scare the game? In fact, when I am in the pits pulling targets during High Power matches, the "crack" of the bullet going by is louder than the sound of the rifle going off 200 yards away.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been mulling selling some stuff to get a suppressor for my LTR. Suppressors are legal for hunting here, as long as you have your NFA stamp, and six months to wait for it to get approved!

My thinking is get a .308 suppressor and then it can be used to pretty good effect on any smaller caliber.

Watched a co-worker shooting his suppressed 11.5-in. AR at the range yesterday. After the first shot, the remainder stayed at about the level of a CCI Stinger round.

Problem with ARs is the suppressor pushes a lot of the gas back in your face. Best to take a deep breath and hold it until after you break your shots.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Vagabond
We are not allowed them (supressors) here because someone might use them for evil.

If you're going to present something as factual information, you might do well to actually learn the facts before doing so.

Suppressors are legal in the US. Some states limit ownership to the same crowd that can get post-86 machine guns, but federally there is no ban on suppressors. There's a $200 tax and (if transferring to an individual) fingerprints, photographs, police chief sign-off, and a long wait required. But they ain't banned, so stop running your yap that they are.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In Washington state you must forfeit your right to search and seizure laws. Any police agency with jurisdiction can enter your property with "just cause" and no warrant to determine if what you're doing with this suppressed gun is legal. That is a significant turn off for most people who want a full auto gun or suppressor. Little known fact is that when you buy a taxidermy license you also forfeit this search and seizure right for the place of business it's in. If it's on the property with your family home, then the family home is lumped into this as well.

Can't speak to the rest of the country, but Wa. state has some tough regulations on this stuff

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
indyca35.i have often thought of what you write. my experience, on the other hand with silencers, (seems you guys call them suppressors) is that it seems to confuse the animals. i have seen that a couple of springbok would tend to look at the animal that was shot since that shot generates it's own sound, instead of looking at the place the original sound came from (the rifle). they then tend to run away from this impact shot and often they will run slightly towards the hunter due to their confusion. if you miss a shot and the impact is behind them they tend to look at the place of impact, see the dust and again sometimes run towards you.

so what you see and hear on the firing range is true and can help the hunter if the sound of impact is more distracting than the sound of the shot. this can be done with a silencer.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JJ, do you have some reference to this law, In Washington state you must forfeit your right to search and seizure laws.
Also, as far as I know, no full auto's are allowed other than LEO's

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have that here at my finger tips, I went through an FFL training seminar a year or maybe 2 now I guess. This was the way the answer to the question was presented to the group.

I'm not sure it would be difficult to locate if you search the rules on line?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There is no such regulation in Washington but it is a persistent rumor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (21, 6MMWASP, Alan_C, 7mm_Loco, 7 invisible), 1,472 guests, and 772 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,892
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.