[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The whole thing weighs 6.7 LBS

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Red, Some really nice pic's there, also a nice pitch.
And welcome aboard. Look forward to MANY more pic's and tales:0)

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never thought of the few ounces the liners add as somethign I couldn't pack...

I want one for our paratipi too, will have to fab that one ourselves and move our stove port.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Here's my 8.5 Ti-Goat with large stove. Has worked fine in a lot of different weather from heavy rain to heavy snow. Only reason I got it instead a Kifaru was the wait time, had this one in 3 weeks.

Craig
[Linked Image][Linked Image][IMG)

[Linked Image]

Last edited by snarpezal; 12/02/09.
IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Thanks Tx Trapper
Long time lurker here.
Yeah can't wait to put this shelter to the test up in the Cascades.
Glad to be here!

Rost495
I live in WA, so the moisture is unavoidable.
DJ says he's developing a liner that will work with the existing Vertex Tipi's.
Hopefully they will be available soon.

snarpezal, Awesome winter scene there with your Tipi.

Last edited by red_cell; 12/02/09.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Redcell - thanks for the pics - much better than the website.

I have decided on getting a Ti-goat Vertex 8 and their stove. I just like the design a bit better - but its a really tough call between them (Kifaru) there isn't a bad word out there about either.

Just got off the phone with Ti-Goat and there are some neat things in the works.

1) There is a ti-goat liner on the way! The prototype in testing and early 2010 should be available and will retro-fit current tents.

2) Tan fabric is also on its way and if the fabric mills cooperate should be an option in the Jan-Feb time frame.

3) Also a carbonfiber pole for the Vertex 8 should be available next year.

I learned that Ti-goat will sew a tent with a "sod cloth" for $50-100 extra. As I think I will be using a floor at least some of the time, I think this is a good idea. Any other opinions on a sod-cloth?

Thanks for all the info!!!

"Do you want it "Right", or "Right now"? - always a good question.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have not been here for some time...My bad.

I think they are both good but there are a few aspects that for me give an edge to the Kifaru. This is not to say there isn't a bunch of stuff I like about Ti-Goat too.

Things I like about Kifaru.

Two doors with bug net.

[Linked Image]

Big #10 zippers.

[Linked Image]

Clothes line at the top that the optional liner attaches too. A liner is a big pro of the Kifaru system.

[Linked Image]

The stoves have an optional warming tray.

[Linked Image]

Also for no reason here is a swamp maple. smile

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Salmotrutta
Any other opinions on a sod-cloth?

The first TiGoat tipi ever sewn has a snow skirt. Just like the older Mtn. Hardwear Kiva, and just like the old Scott tents and canvas pyramids before them. I think they should be standard on any single wall floorless shelter meant for Winter camping. It sure doesn't hurt to have them in rocky terrain either, to pile rocks on.

DJ left the ends of the skirt to fray for mine. Little tendrils to grab onto the snow. If you talk at him tell him they work well. Thanks.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks Huskyrunner! Thats kind of what I was thinking, a nice snow skirt/sod cloth certainly won't hurt (less than 6 oz.) better in winter, could keep out some moisture on a bad site, might keep out some more bugs etc... Materials have changed, but there is a reason that every (good) floorless canvas wall or range tent comes with a "sod cloth". I will have to defer to your experience on the "frayed" vs. "finished" edge on this one. But it seems to me that its a good option to add.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Huskyrunner! Thats kind of what I was thinking, a nice snow skirt/sod cloth certainly won't hurt (less than 6 oz.) better in winter, could keep out some moisture on a bad site, might keep out some more bugs etc... Materials have changed, but there is a reason that every (good) floorless canvas wall or range tent comes with a "sod cloth". I will have to defer to your experience on the "frayed" vs. "finished" edge on this one. But it seems to me that its a good option to add.

I am not sure if this is what Huskyrunner was referring to but here is what I do. First I raise the tipi off the ground using 6 inch webbing loops. If it�s cold I may kick snow a bit over the gaps. I guess when DJ makes that liner if it drapes to the ground like the Kifaru it would do the same thing. Darn I like that Ti-goat stove in Red Cell's photo shoot. smile

[Linked Image]

The liner is long enough as it drops to the ground covering most gaps even without the snow.

[Linked Image]

Huskyrunner.

This is totally off topic but I think you will like it just the same.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Hey Woods! Drooling over those new Zebralights!

The sod cloth is just that and adds much integrity to the structure as well as sealing out drafts with minimal effort. You could do this w/o the cloth but you lose some tipi space. Here it is without snow piled on it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Fine looking team! I would like to read some of your trip reports. I have been around sled teams and had friends that live the life and it is always so appealing.... but such a huge commitment I could not pull it off. My hat is of to those that can.

Sod cloth...
I shovel a little snow around the bottom of the 8 man and it is sealed - in the summer - kick a little forest duff around it and no bugs - + the liner... I have mounted so it hangs several inches on the ground. Works great and the entire liner for my 8 man (if my memory it right) sounds like it is just another 7 ozs. over just the sod cloth.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks good huskyrunner. I was thinking about your tipi when posting and should have known better. Guessing there is little chance of gray sky depression nor misplaced camp with that tent. I think DJ has moved away from a sod cloth with the newer shelters. I really like the removable stove jack and would be interested in what people have to say about them but guessing yours doesn�t have that. Also like that full length zipper. I am kind of glad that Ti-goat is making their shelters and stoves too. When companies compete often it�s the consumers that benefit.

The ZLs are the H501-Q5 and H501w. One has a warm tinted LED that looks more like natural light. I remember your H30 review.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is so interesting, I am very greatful to have you experienced guys willing to share your tipi tricks. I could take a guy years to figure some of these things out on their own.

WoodsWalker - Why the webbing loops and the high pitch in winter? Why not tight to the snow?

Huskyrunnr - I never thought of flipping the "sod-cloth" to the outside? I always thought of flipping them under the tent. But I see what you mean now about adding stability and sealing up the tent.

When I talked with DJ about the sod-cloth - it wasn't that he didn't like sod-cloths anymore - it was just that it streamlined the production to remove them - and only a small portion of his tent users were slipping in floors or serious winter users. He would be glad to build them into any tent - although he really only wants to add them during the build - not as an add-on.

Can't wait to get mine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

WoodsWalker - Why the webbing loops and the high pitch in winter? Why not tight to the snow?

New England is 95% rocks by volume laugh so sometimes I am forced to move the stakes around as can�t see the rocks under the ice. The loops offer some play during pitching. Secondly it makes for a larger tipi at no extra weight. This helps offset the lost space from the liner. The loops are 6 inches and the paracord tie-offs on the stakes 1-2 so the extra 7-8 inches adds up. The liner is warm and dry to the touch but the sides, not so much once it gets very cold outside.

[Linked Image]

The liner is grounded so it kills some drafts and it turns the tipi into a double walled shelter that is warmer when the stove is running. Looking at one of my photos in this thread you will notice snow kicked over the gaps however I took the pic to show the loops so didn�t finish the job, with snow piled over the gaps it is nearly draft free. Sometimes in winter if there is litte snow and not all that much leaf litter I just ground the tipi.

[Linked Image]

During fall I forgo the liner and pitch the tipi to the ground as mostly use it for increased heating. Also nice when going more UL as I can use � a liner or none at all, which is often the case any season.

[Linked Image]

Here is the country I was hiking though before setting up that camp.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
So far I'm really dig'n my Tipi.
Just got home from a trip to Ocean Shores Wa.
Lot's of people had to check it out while me and my GF were inside playing house. This older dude liked it enough to take detailed notes and asked if I would sell it to him for cost.

I said no.

WW, those #10 zippers are nice and shiny.
[Linked Image]
Mine are subdued but #8

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
379 I cut and pasted this from another thread I answered to a while back. I use the 12 man in the neighborhoods you are looking to raom in the fall with a four dog ti stove and it works well for me .

Here is my 2 cents, it is just my opinion thats all. I have owned a para tipi/sm stove combo now for 9 years. I have also owned the hennesy hammock and an ID tarp. I got rid of the hammock after its first trip . I slept like crap in it and woke up with killer back aches . The tarp is great when you are positive the conditions are going to be bluebird. The paratipi is my go to for when the weather can be unknown. To give you an example , my first AK trip was a caribou hunt . I flew in on a great day beautifull to be more specific. At 5 pm on day 2 the wind started and then the rain . It was recorded at Illiamna 60 mph winds gusting to 85 mph for 60 hours, sideways rain and all. I had the SST pins in and never pulled a peg or had to re adjust the tipi for the entire duration. No tears , no seperated seams , no leaks nothing at all. Its built like a brick house.I had the stove going for a while in the begining but dropped the pipe when it really was pouring. I would go anywhere in it.

As far as set up when you are in it . I may do it a little different then some others but it works for me . With 2 people , I put the foot box of your sleeping bags at the rear of the tipi as far as they will go . This gets me behind the stove so to say. I don't have a proble hitting the walls this way either. I have our packs at your head near the door with the opening facing you so you can root around in the pack if you need to . I keep my wood for the stove either behind the stove or along side. I find this works for us. Going solo you will have more room than you need and it will be comfortable . You can cant the stove pipe quiet a bit to one side if you need to and it still burns fine. The small stove can cook you out of the tipi if you make it happen but it is not a super lung burn time ( this is how it was designed) . I was meant to knock the chill off you and to cook on and it does that well . It was not designed to be an all night burn.

I also have a 12 man that I use as a base camp set up with a 4 dog ti stove. That stove will burn longer because of its size and more airtight design but it does not fold up like the Kifaru stoves. Tons of room in that thing , nice to stand up and put your britches on and stretch in the am. But thats another story you asked about the paratipi and that has been my experience with it. I will never buy a tent with a floor in it ever agian after using these things. JMHO others mileage may vary

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a great thread!!!

I plan on drawing a late season (November) bighorn tag next year and will be doing the hunt with one friend at all times, and would like room for 2 if needed. I need it no bigger than that. Three would be the MAX that would be sleeping inside it.

Temps can get VERY cold in Nov in the mountains (-20 or -25C) and I'm not sure if the Kifaru and stove will be up to the task. I'm looking at a liner and a stove of course, but not sure which size I'm going with yet. Something tells me 6-man would be about right?

Size and weight is important as well...so trying to find that good 'balance'. Also not sure what size stove I'll go with but this thread is helping!!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dean, thanks. I've seen that post of yours more than once over the years, and do trust your word.

Since starting this thread, I've pulled the trigger on an 8 man Kifaru w/large stove. It arrived last week, the same day we got 18 inches of Obama snow, so it will be awhile before I can set it up and test it.

I much appreciate everyones pics, posts, and opinions. Thanks gents!

Do it today. Tomorrow there may be a law against it.
NRA Life Member
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 222Sako, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 50 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,034
Posts18,500,661
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.