Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
[Linked Image]

Marlin XS7 308 Rifle

I was very intrigued by the articles and comments I have been hearing about the Marlin XL7 but really didn't want another 30-06 or 270, I kinda liked the idea of a 25-06 but I would have had to spend a lot for dies, bullets etc., I was able to resist until they introduced the short action XS7 and a 308 sounded good to me. Bass Pro had them for $279 and a 10% deal on a credit card got the price down to where I bit. I already had an Intensity 3.8-12x44 scope and a set of Weaver Grand slam rings so I was ready to get started as soon as I got the rifle home.

The first thing to work on was the trigger, it's the Pro Fire that has a release in the center of the trigger that helps prevent accidental discharge. It is probably a lawyer/insurance driven innovation but it works and I find it no determent to controlling your trigger pull. I removed the barreled action from the stock by removing the two #20 torque bit action screws and adjusted the trigger by the instruction in about 3 minutes. The trigger pull is crisp, light enough to shoot accurately from the bench but not too light for hunting, just right.

Now I have the stock off I can take a look at the particulars. It's plastic of course, mine is black and you can get camo. Sling studs and a very soft recoil pad are installed. The action screw holes are sleeved with steel tube to keep you from crushing the stock when tightening the screws. It has a raised cheek rest (not Monte Carlo), molded in checkering that looks and feels good, a removable plastic trigger guard., 13 5/16� length of pull, and has pressure pads at the forend (not free floated). It feels good and is comfortable to shoot. I happened to have a Remington ADL plastic stock in the shop while doing this and comparing the two they are nearly identical. If you like the fit of a Remington you'll be happy with this stock, only the Reminton's recoil pad was a little firmer and the checkering pattern was different. I went ahead and took out the pressure pads and free floated the barrel, I had to remove the pads and some more material on the bottom and left side of the barrel channel to get the clearance. My one issue with the stock came when I reassembled the rifle, the front action screw went in and bottomed out on the pillar bedding solidly but when I started tightening down the rear screw expecting the same positive bottom it just kept snugging down until it sorta bottomed out. Then I realized I couldn't retract the bolt because the rear action screw was screwed out into the race-way for the cocking piece. The front screw solidly makes contact with the pillar sleeve and in turn the bottom of the receiver, the rear would do the same but the soft plastic trigger guard spoils the benefit of the sleeve. I crushed the trigger guard with the small head of the 1/4� action screw. I made a cone shaped bushing/washer out of tubing and created an all steel pillar and it still holds the trigger guard on snugly. I shouldn't have to do that to a new rifle but I don't think Marlin would have done much, anyway it works good now. The in-letting for the recoil lug was very loose, so a with a little Accuglass I bedded the lug and nothing more.

Okay now for the action. The receiver is milled from tubing like Remington, Savage and others with a recoil lug wedged between the barrel nut and receiver face like the Savage. Drilled and tapped and supplied with a Weaver style one piece base that I like pretty well, I usually prefer the Redfield JR type rings but this one is working real well with the Weaver Grand Slam rings I used to mount my Intensity 3.8-12x44 scope. The finish is not overly shinny but not as flat and my scope's matt finish, no machine marks, burrs etc. The bolt has groves lateraly that look like Weatherby Vanguards bolt. The bolt handle is shaped like the Ruger 77's with a dog leg and is fluted to clear the scope. The bolts shroud looks a lot like the Browning A-bolts. The bolt release is just like a Winchester Model 70. The safety is a two position situated above the stock and above the trigger like Remington. The bolt face looks like a Winchester push feed model 70 with the slide type extractor on the outboard lug and a spring loaded pin ejector. My only complaint so far is a very weak ejector, it just barely throws the brass out onto the bench. The 22� barrel has no sights and is not drilled and tapped to receive any, it does have a nicely recesses crown. I don't think they missed knocking off something from any of their main competitors, but it came together real well.

I went thru about 40 rounds of assorted ammunition that I had accumulated, some miltary, some commercial and 25 or so reloads using some pulled 168 gr. match bullets. While doing this it seemed that 150 gr bullets were the way to go and I loaded 5 rounds each of Nosler Partition Gold, Nosler Ballistic Tip and Reminton Core Loct. It showed a preference for the Nosler BT's and I loaded 10 using Accurate Arms 2700 (max load), a Fed 210M primer and Nosler Match brass. From a cold clean barrel I shot a 3/4� group 1 1/2� high and 3/4� right. I moved the scope three clicks left and cut the verticle line 1 1/2� high.

My conclusion is it's worth the money and may be the best bang for the buck available. The Savage package rifle cost about the same as my set up cost me but I don't think the scope, rings and bases on the Savage is as good as I have on the Marlin. I also like the shape and feel of the Marlin stock better than the Savages I've had in the past. Nine stars out of ten.

Tarheel

No people will tamely surrender their Liberties when knowledge is diffusd and virtue is preservd. On the contrary, when people are ignorant, and debauchd in their manners they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of Invaders. Samuel Adams
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is the same rifle I have been wanting to pick up since they introduced them. Every time I get the money saved up though, some thing comes up. I'll get one someday. Looks like it will work for you!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought one two months ago in 7mm-08. Has about 100 rounds down the tube, and has not shot a single group over 1 1/4" yet with a 4X33 Leupold on top. smile

Ted

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Nice Post Tarheel,
I don't own one yet, but have picked up a couple and had to talk myself out of them.

Glad to see you are pleased with your rifle.
CT

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the detailed report. Looking for a .270 soon.

stumpy

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
STILL waiting on mine after 2 weeks.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have never seen one yet but from all the reviews Ive read I am all set to try out a 7mm-08. I wish they made these with a wood stock but I guess I can get the synthetic.

T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I see that they are offering the XL7 with a wood stock now. I think that would be a big improvement, the plastic one is very springy.
I made a couple of mistakes on the load I am using to get the group in the photo. It was a max load of Accurate Arms 2520 and I was using Hornady Match cases.

Tarheel

No people will tamely surrender their Liberties when knowledge is diffusd and virtue is preservd. On the contrary, when people are ignorant, and debauchd in their manners they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of Invaders. Samuel Adams
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
i have 270s but this marlin is by far a close number 1-2 to savage ive have

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
these guns are shooters!my XL7C 270 shoots really well with most any load from cheap federal factory loads to its favorite handload which shoots 1/2 inch groups or less repeatedly!this rifle is out of the box stock and shoots as good or better than any rifle i own!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great rifle that stole every good idea from everyone (SMART).
First came a XL7 camo 270 WCF.
I have an XL7C camo in 7mm08 on order.
Savage barrels even fit! Just to fill the day I bought a Savage 22-250 barrel for dirt, dug out my 22-06 reamer and rechambered it and put it on the XL.
55 gr Dogtowns move out at 3700, shoot 3/4 MOA and in 20 minutes it can be a 270 again (also a tack driver). Hope they bring out some other versions.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm suddenly at a loss for words.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Funny....He can take pics of this stuff.....

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Looks like a great blue light speacial.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KH, glad you finally figured out I can take pictures and don't (as you LIED about) steal them from others. Now fire up your Brownie and show us all your efforts.

SU, It is a blue light special that will let folks of average means own a rifle that performs as well or better than one costing far far more. Won't impress the snobs at hunting camp, but will put the game in the freezer as sure as some $5,000 custom.

Matt, I be at a loss for words too when Marlin can put out a sub MOA centerfire for less than twice the price of one of your beautiful trigger guards. Marlin has been a pioneer since the 1880s and continues to provide innovative value for todays hunters.

Tar Heel, you have to understand that there are a few folks on every internet site that have nothing to offer but nasty comments, lies and BS. You get your Marlin cooking and you'll be be out taking game while they are trying to dump on you for your choice and hiding behind their keyboards pretending to be experts. Great rifle and a great value...just no getting around it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by oldman1942

Matt, I be at a loss for words too when Marlin can put out a sub MOA centerfire for less than twice the price of one of your beautiful trigger guards. Marlin has been a pioneer since the 1880s and continues to provide innovative value for todays hunters.

It wasn't the Marlin that got my attention, but rather the vice grips, tapping handle, barrel vise and chamber reamer. Items I would not have expected to see all in one picture, let alone being used in conjunction with one another.

Had a shop MR7 for a while, so I know what Marlin is capable of, as well as visiting their facility in 2005.
They make a fine lever-actions and I've owned a few, but turn-bolts aren't their niche.

Price is mostly dictated by volume, and I'm thinking they priced them to sell more than they will, but only time will tell.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not familiar here with the re-chambering process. What exactly should you be seeing in the same pic?
Also, any chance a company, yours maybe, could make CNC'd copies of the plastic triggerguard? Cost effective?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well here are the fired cases from the 22-250 and 22-06 after my shadetree rechambering job. Probably would shoot better with a $200 triggerguard that weighs more. Have yet to meet any as issued M-70 that can outshoot a 722 with a (GOD) stamped trigger guard.

[Linked Image]

Seven reloads with Redding bushing dies and no problems. Still teny, tiny groups with el cheapo dogtown bullets. Why that's almost as good as a 225 Winchester (a what?)

Bolt actions may not be Marlin's niche (IYO) buy their 17 HMRs and these X7s sure seem to changing a lot of minds. (Buy the new issue of Rifle)

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No question the technique makes the brass bigger, but I'm afraid the lack of a lathe, expertise and tact is where your post fell short.

Glad you're happy with it, but don't hold your breath for the rest of the shooting world to hop on the Marlin turnbolt bandwagon, or the wildcat technique prescribed above.

For the record, my in-the-white bottom metal starts at $154.00 retail, which happens to be about half the price of my nearest competitor. It's also no secret that it remains one of the most difficult and expensive parts to manufacture for both the large volume makers, as well as the custom crowd. Lots of folks are making actions and complete rifles, but very few are making their own bottom metal for this very reason.

I'm fond of the 721 and 722's, but you've apparently been in hiding if you haven't seen one get out shot by a model 70, with or without one of my guards on them.

In the new Rifle Magazine, the one I advertise in, do they mention anything about chambering with vise grips and tap handles for ringing out the accuracy of the throat-burning 22-06?
Perhaps they'll do an expose on how to deal with folks who haven't a clue about custom rifle work, but defend it with insults of other subjects that are totally unrelated.

That could indeed be a good read.........

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Matt, hate to break it to you but it wasn't up to your standards or prices but it shoots real well. Do I care if the barrel is fried in 1000 rounds? Hell no because I can buy another one for another 50 bucks if I care to.

BTW, this is my R.F. Sedgley 22-06 that would far exceed the quality of any Model 70 to ever have left New Haven for anywhere near the price.

[Linked Image]

MY RFS 400 Whelen also made the cover of Zeglin's new book...titles you have written or published are....??

[Linked Image]

Now tell me about the benchrest records held by Model 70s....
Wonder why NO military force in the world uses them for sniper rifles? 700 variations appear to dominate over here.

$150 bucks for a TG that does nothing but look nice....Barnum was correct.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 809 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.