Print Thread
Hop To
S
semi Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I have a Winchester Model 70 in which i plan to re-scope. AT the same time i want to get new rings and bases. Can you suggest what i should look for? One piece/ 2 piece? brand...?

HR IC

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
The Talley Lightweight are simple and light; the only downside is that even their low ring is higher than some would like. The Leupold/Redfield dual dovetail are more reliable than the much more common windage rear base setup, and can go lower than the Talleys. A Weaver style base can be used with QD rings, and is a strong reliable system, even if it is not as elegant in appearance as some others.

A one piece base has more disadvantages than advantages, unless you are going to a Picatinny rail to deal with special mounting problems.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
deadnutz game reaper one piece base/ring unit.

sells for about fiddy bucks.

Something clever here.

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
I thought the only one of those I have seen was ugliernhell.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
the rings do remind me a bit of a tall skinny truck tire.

But i like the setup.

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Warne bases and rings are excellent on model 70's. I have scoped a mountain of rifles with them and had no problems.

1 and done
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
These are all good, with individual features emphasized:

Weaver - Inexpensive, brute strong, removeable.
Talley - Good looking.
Leupold - Timeless Redfield style, good looking, can go extremely low.

I know some guys like Warne mounts. They work, but I find them extremely bulky and heavy, and the finish not particularly good looking. Remember, "Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun."

=

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like the 2-piece bases because they don't block the top of the action like a 1-piece base does.

My rings of choice are Burris Signature Pos-Align because they use inserts that protect the scope from torque and scratches. They also allow adjusting the scope left and right or up and down with different (offset)inserts. This allows you to keep the internal adjustments in your scope centered, and allows for receivers that are drilled out of line with the bore. They are made in 1" and 30mm sizes.

These rings at Midway are $31 with zero-degree-offset inserts. Other inserts are available for $8.39 a pair (one pair is for one ring)and come in 5, 10 and 20-degree offsets.

The front ring has a dovetail that turns into the front base, and the rear ring has shoulders for windage screws that are in the rear base. These rear bases are made by many different makers...Millett, Leupold, Burris and others.

Some people don't like these bases, but I do.

Some people don't like these rings, but I do.

Last edited by Bulletbutt; 12/03/09.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bulletbutt
What disease did cured ham actually have?

Nyuk-nyuk. Good one.

Good suggestion, Burris mounts. I like them too. "Some people" don't like anyting.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Talley Lightweights!

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the looks of warnes far more than talleys and they are a stronger setup,they also don't mark up your scope tube.

1 and done
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The only time I use one piece bases is when I need some elevation.
I won't use the windage adjustable bases or rings as they are prone to pulling out of the base if the scope is impacted. Have seen that happen several times. Lots of other, much more reliable bases and rings to choose from.
I've seen far more base and ring problems in the field than scope problems. Well designed bases and rings are worth every penny. E

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
DD Leupolds...fugg the rest..

It must feel so good to be right all the time.....
Click "Ignore"..get rid of the whore..
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If you want detachable "quick release" mounts, I have used the Leupold QR series and they return to zero very well. Not for the benchrest paper punchers perhaps, but they work for me and I can have two scopes set up for one gun and switch them. I have a 1.75-6 and a 3.5-10 for the gun and it's amazing how good the POI is when switching back and forth. I can take the scope off the gun for transport and cleaning, and I like that alot. The two scopes also mean I have a backup if some misfortune happens to one...

I can't say about other brands as I haven't used them.

I would think there might be a law against ugly add ons to a Model 70, so be careful about that...

Vagabond
NRA Benefactor Member

"I spent most of my money on guns and hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted!"
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Eremicus
The only time I use one piece bases is when I need some elevation.
I won't use the windage adjustable bases or rings as they are prone to pulling out of the base if the scope is impacted. Have seen that happen several times. Lots of other, much more reliable bases and rings to choose from.
I've seen far more base and ring problems in the field than scope problems. Well designed bases and rings are worth every penny. E

So, what would your suggestion be to the op as far as what rings and bases you would recommend?

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Burris Signature Z-Rings with bushings.

Ken Farrell one piece base, installed by epoxy bedding method (it isn't epoxied to the receiver) as detailed in the instruction sheet.

Or use the Ken Farrell rings matched to the base.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (22kHornet, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,126 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,256
Posts18,504,765
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.