-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Has anyone here dealt with Jays Sporting Goods?I am considering buying an unfired gun but a display model that they have listed on GunsAmerica.I am wondering if I should be concerned about the condition of the gun,or if they only let customers handle the display guns while staff are present.I would normally avoid a display model unless I could see the gun,but it is a Citori Field 12/20 combo that is hard to find,and the price is very good.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If it is the Jays sportinggoods in michigan I have delt with them several times over the last few years. They are generally pretty good about gun related stuff. As good as any large sporting goods store. Kind of nice to deal with a company that started in a guys garage and built into a couple of locations and thier own hunting show on the outdoor network. I'd say go fot it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If it is Jay's in Michigan, they have racks of guns that allow customers to handle firarms without supervision. However, I have never seen top dollar guns on those racks unless they are synthetic stocked. My guess is that the Citori was kept behind the counter.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I agree with the MichiganScott. I doubt they'd leave a 2 barrelled Citori set on the general rack. Those are usually kept behind the counter. Hope that helps....

Scott

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kinda scary isn't it when you walk into a big store and unsupervised children are playing Star Wars with the guns on the rack. I have actually seen this.

`Bring Enough Gun`
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jay's a good place,I've picked up a couple of rifles there over the last few years.I was told they quit dealing with used guns?

I know what you're saying about kids and non-gun people,the local Cabelas is almost down to strapping them to the racks.I understand they had guns dropped and broken,stolen and many parts taken off.Too bad...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
There is another Jay's in addition to Jay's two stores in Michigan.
I'm not aware the the Michigan Jay's sells guns on the net? Maybe someone could enlighten me on that?

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Just a side note, but Jay's should have been Tim's.
I was working and living in Clare when the first Jays building was put up behind the Doherty Hotel. I had said all along that the "Gatewey to the North" needed a sporting goods store. I was toooooo damned busy to pursue the issue. At that time you drove right thru Clare to go north (not around).

The rest of course is history and Jays is a good business to work with in my experience.

JMHO
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've purchased a number of guns from Jay's. They carry a great inventory.
The high end guns are kept behind the counter, but they will let you handle them if you're interested. They are not available for the general customer to pick-up and dry fire.
I started to shop at Jay's when it was still located in his garage, now there are two very nice stores. Prices have crept up over the years from the deals that they were known for, but it's still a nice place to shop and buy.

"The older I get, the better I was"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have dealt with them a lot and they are very good people to deal with.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill

Just a side note, but Jay's should have been Tim's.
I was working and living in Clare when the first Jays building was put up behind the Doherty Hotel. I had said all along that the "Gatewey to the North" needed a sporting goods store. I was toooooo damned busy to pursue the issue. At that time you drove right thru Clare to go north (not around).

Before the bridge opened in '57, cars full of deer hunters backed-up all the way to Gaylord waiting their turn to cross the straights on the ferry.

I remember that old store behind Doherty's Hotel. Bought a few guns there too, from the original owner. Gun deals today don't go the way they did back then. Jay's was THE place to go for sporting goods. They had everything. Still good today too, though not the best prices. Cest la vie.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it ain't all scratched up and beat up and it locks up tight and is still like new than what are you risking? Try to get a good deal on it because it's a display model. The usual problem with people handling guns is ring marks. I would buy a gun like that without hesitation if it was a deal I liked. IMHO BT

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have shopped at either store and have seen a few nice firearms on the used display rack for eye candy. Frankly, tend to doubt that they would place the 12-20 combo out on it.

cointoss
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I found a new in the box,non display gun for very little more,so I went that way instead.I just didn't want to spend the time and money importing the gun into Canada and then find out it was marked in any way.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by stubblejumper
I found a new in the box,non display gun for very little more,so I went that way instead.I just didn't want to spend the time and money importing the gun into Canada and then find out it was marked in any way.

Good move...

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by cointoss
I have shopped at either store and have seen a few nice firearms on the used display rack for eye candy. Frankly, tend to doubt that they would place the 12-20 combo out on it.

Incidentally, I bought my latest "Doner" action as a full up rifle off the used gun rack at Jay's Gaylord store. Finding a Rem 700 Short action, with a small bolt face is harder than finiding out when the Detroit Lions will start winning football games... grin

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Just My two cents. I am a customer of Jays and a vendor to Jays and in either capacity they are some of the most knowledgable and nicest people you can deal with. If there were more Jays there would be no need for national chains.

I have bought many guns there and have been happy with all.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by boatboy
Just My two cents. I am a customer of Jays and a vendor to Jays and in either capacity they are some of the most knowledgable and nicest people you can deal with. If there were more Jays there would be no need for national chains.

I have bought many guns there and have been happy with all.

Ditto!
All of the guys and gals at the Gaylord Store treat me GREAT. I've bought a bunch of guns from them too, and now they know my buying habits, and call me at home when a good buy comes along. I know of NO other store that does that kind of stuff.
In addition, they did all of the transfers for me on the Rem 722's I bought.
I'll never do business with anyone else. And when my kids come up from Detroit, a trip to Gaylord Jays is on the agenda. Last time my youngest son came up, he bought a pistol there, rather than buying it down state.
Mark Epley is TOP drawer..

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I cannot say enough good things about Jay's.
Have bought rifles and handguns from both stores.
They used to have the best prices, but haven't been in either store for awhile now.
Great people!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

101 members (10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 17 invisible), 1,523 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,484
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.