Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"Lightweight, accurate, reliable..."

One out of three ain't bad! wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
HR IC

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I cant stand the looks of the new ones. I swear I saw a guy in a Star Trek episode that carried a weapon with a similiar stock design.

I had an A-bolt in 300WSM when they came out. It was a light rifle to carry, but couldnt warm up to it. Especially the 60 deg lift. Didnt feel right, so I gave it to my step-father. Love them old High Powers though.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Count me as another one that considers Browning a 'go to' brand - more Brownings than anything else - one for 25+ years - never a problem feeding, firing or shooting accurately...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I have had 2 and both were horrible excuses for rifles, Sent them both down the road and swore them off.

That being said I do know a lot of people that love them but for me there is just something about them that doesn't satisfy my inner rifle looney.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I don't like the way the stocks fit me, and I agree about the oddball bolt handle, and the over-engineered magazines. Come to think of it, I just don't like anything about them. Never saw any real purpose to a short-lift bolt, either, it just doesn't feel right to me.

I don't fuss and cuss about them, I just don't like anything about them.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 257Deland
Love a 20 gauge English stock Browning Citori.

i have one, choked mod/imp. wandered into a country gun store one day, there she was with a $600 tag on it. got him down $50 and walked with that one.

nice shotgun.

-tom

Wag More. Bark Less.
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I love my Brownings; A-Bolts and X-Bolts.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf...George Orwell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I am one of those guys that can't get past the "Made in japan" thing. Life is too short to hunt here in the gool ol U.S.A. with a jap rifle. Too many good American made options to do that. I don't care how well they may shoot, I aint buying or hunting with one!!!!!!!!

Agreed. I too don't like jap products because of WW2. I have owned Browning Belgium made rifles and would still have them if they had not been so heavy.

Here is one that, while it shot ok, was just too heavy. I sold it for about $550. I feel the same way about standard weight pre 64 M70's in regular calibers. I did keep the bore scope. Those are neat.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Question for you "Japan-haters"- where do your optics, especially binoculars, hail from? Just curious how many of you hate Japanese-made firearms but love German-made optics.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't like that funky line in the stock (doesn't Tikka have a useless line also). The 60 degree bolt is ok just round out the knob and turn it to face the right way. The detachable magazine on the X-Bolt I like. They seem to be accurate. The Japanese label would be hypocritical for me to hold against them. What steers me away from them is the pricing. At my local shop the cheapest X-Bolts start at $729 (that seems to be very competitive). Remingtons and Rugers look more attractive at $100-$200 less money.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"Why no love for a Browning bolt?"

Mmm... Because they''re ugly?

Just my opinion, though...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Question for you "Japan-haters"- where do your optics, especially binoculars, hail from? Just curious how many of you hate Japanese-made firearms but love German-made optics.
And German-made firearms. I haven't quite figured that out either.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I personally like the Browning Bolt guns and they out shoot most American Made Bolt Guns without having to do anything other than mounting a scope . Man that puts down a A-Bolt usually hasn't tried one.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had one in 223 for years, long throat, mag box is too long and a mag box block? off to shorten it, but it shoots ok. Its just ugly, too futuristic looking or something. I do have a Hi power (Belgium), Citoris, and a couple of BPS SGs, that I really like. But then they are more "classical" in the aesthetics department. Like someone else said, just can't warm up to it, no soul. So I don't think its a made in Japan thing. One of the things that does bother me is rebarreling, as I understand it you can't rebarrel one.

Last edited by AJD; 12/05/09.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bea175
I personally like the Browning Bolt guns and they out shoot most American Made Bolt Guns without having to do anything other than mounting a scope . Man that puts down a A-Bolt usually hasn't tried one.

+1 for me. The ones I've owned were shooters.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just haven't found anything they do better than Ruger/Remmington/Winchester for me. I don't care for the 80 layers of shelac they used to put on their stocks. It was like holding a piece of wood inside a display case.

Me

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My guns have to be shooters and look a certain (traditional) way. Hunting and shooting is not a job. I don't have to "accept" things in my leisure activities. The X-Bolt is a good product. I would love to have that detachable mag on a Ruger/Remington. The stock turns me off, but so do military looking AR type rifles in the hunting woods. So I don't choose them. A change in stock and price and I'd own an X-Bolt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The guys I know who have and hunt them hunt really hard, shoot em enough to trust them and to know them to be quite accurate.

3 guys I know pretty well run them and they hunt the heck out of them. From time to time I ask if they've had any troubles with them and not once has any of them said yes.

I've known others to run them just not like the above 3 do that I mention and they've traveled a lot longer and harder than most will ever dream of doing.

Aside from Art, I've not known anyone to have issues with them. But then again I don't anyone who's used them next to the big drink as much as Art has.

Bottom line, I spect if you're not living in a world of salt water like Art then I spect you'll not have any more issues than you would from other makes.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cousin has one that I ordered for him some years back. Shoots REALLY great, in 270, well under an inch and approaches half an inch. We shot it quite a bit to 500 and at 500 it was still hanging in around 5-7 inch groups which ain't bad for an unbedded factory rifle.

Tweaked the trigger and since I don't know how much his kids and he have killed with it, but with 5 deer a piece legal and his wife hunts now and then, he has never called me to complain.

Interesting about the stock bolts too, I KNOW he doesn't pay attention to stuff like that, they've never been loose that I know of.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Side note, I kind of like the feel of the A-bolt Ti. It's lighter than the Montana, it costs more than the Montana and I'd bet it'd feed better and would should circles around the Montana day in and day out. And lastly it doesn't have the obnoxious beer belly that the Montana does.

It aint a cheap date however....so who's gonna be the guinnea

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 12/05/09.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 49 invisible), 2,264 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,747
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.