Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I have a Stainless Stalker in 7mm with BOSS NIB (almost, only 30 rounds through it). What am I offered?

I'm selling it because I have Rem 700LTD in the same caliber and even I don't need two 7mm's.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
HR IC

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Seems to me that Browning rifles are highly touted for their accuracy. In fact my hunting buddy and I both have used A-Bolts (my hunting buddy still does). His is a Stainless Stalker A-Bolt in 30-06 and mine was an A-bolt in 270 Win. Both of these rifles had the BOSS, which I personally like, though I suspect I'm in the minority on this. both were tack-drivers. Anyway, both of our rifles developed firing pin problems (mine also had intermittent feeding problems). Rather than sending mine in for repair, I sold it with full disclosure. My buddy sent his into Browning for repair. IIRC his rifle was returned about 2-3 months later, though the problem was properly fixed. My main point is that the entire Browning firing pin mechanism is quite complex. Yes, they are accurate but I'd always have that nagging doubt in the back of my mind. So, I opted for a bolt action, where I can easily separate the bolt shroud from the firing pin mechanism to do maintenance. Though I don't do this often, it's still nice to be able to do it myself.

Obviously, my comments above are my opinion only. We are all affected by our personal experiences. Other people have used their A-Bolts for years without any problems. So, the old saying, "YMMV", does apply here. However, for me I'll never buy another Browning bolt action. Over the past 30 years I've owned a few bolt actions and never had to do any repair on any of them (with the exception mentioned above).

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I like the old Belgian ones. The Belgians never bombed Pearl harbor for one thing. wink
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Question for you "Japan-haters"- where do your optics, especially binoculars, hail from? Just curious how many of you hate Japanese-made firearms but love German-made optics.
And German-made firearms. I haven't quite figured that out either.

Partly, those who were raised in coastal Calif during the Pacific war were more concerned with Japanese actions- real and rumored- than German. Partly the feeling that pre-war and for years after, "Made in Japan" on a product was shorthand for third rate. And for more than a decade after the war, GI take-home Arisakas were the cheapest available centerfire rifles to "sporterize".

All that said, I ignored my prejudice and five years ago bought a used A-bolt stainless stalker in 338 win mag. First trip to the range I knew I had made a mistake. Hated the Boss, the rifle was too light for that cartridge, and the scope mounts shot loose from the receiver.

Got a new barrel chambered to 7 remag, a McMillan sako style stock pillar bedded, black Teflon, Talley QD, trigger job. Shoots 1/2" 3 shot groups and the only "Made in Japan" label is inside, on the mag. I guess it's about 75-80% American content now, same as a Honda. But if I had it to do over, I'd buy a Remington or a Mauser.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by whelennut
I like the old Belgian ones. The Belgians never bombed Pearl harbor for one thing. wink
whelennut
The Belgians also never operated concentration camps, gas chambers, or committed terrorist acts on U.S. soil. (Look up Black Tom Island from WWI.) Your argument holds no water.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lansend
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Question for you "Japan-haters"- where do your optics, especially binoculars, hail from? Just curious how many of you hate Japanese-made firearms but love German-made optics.
And German-made firearms. I haven't quite figured that out either.
Partly the feeling that pre-war and for years after, "Made in Japan" on a product was shorthand for third rate. And for more than a decade after the war, GI take-home Arisakas were the cheapest available centerfire rifles to "sporterize".
That was my main hangup as well, but I finally broke down and bought a Miroku Auto 5 and had to admit that is actually a little better than its Belgian counterpart. I've since acquired a couple of other Miroku-produced Brownings and can find no quarrel with their fit, finish or function. I briefly owned an A-Bolt II in 7mm-08 and other than its not meeting my customization requirements, was and am damned impressed with how it shot. The Howa 1500 is another damned impressive Japanese-produced firearm. If I were right-handed, I would likely own a couple.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
it dont matter where a rifle is made
if it shoots good and you like it
why not buy it?
my cousin owns 2 weatherby mark 5 in 257 weatherby and 300 weatherby and they shoot awesome.he has taken numerous deer
more than i will kill in my life time
he also owns a weathereby 270 magnum mark 5 made in germany
and he prefers the japan made ones

Last edited by p3dr0; 12/05/09.

Ill Keep My Money, Freedom, and Guns!
YOU KEEP THE "CHANGE"!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mark
"Aside from Art, I've not known anyone to have issues with them. But then again I don't anyone who's used them next to the big drink as much as Art has.

Bottom line, I spect if you're not living in a world of salt water like Art then I spect you'll not have any more issues than you would from other makes."

I believe JJ Hack has used them a bit with the same results I have seen. He had a client in SE that had a barrel banana peel while shooting at a brown bear.

It is obvious salt is bad for Browning...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bricktop
I have no issues with where they were made and have a bunch of other Brownings, made in Japan, to show for it. My dislike is for A-Borts, not Browning.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Browning Micro Medallion, with a little tweaking. Chambered in 7mm-08. Trigger adjusted to break at 1.5 lbs. Bedded. Twenty-two inch stainless fluted barrel screwed on, then barrel and action teflon coated. Topped with Ziess 3 x 9 Diavari C scope. Shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yds. Kills stuff DRT. What's not to like?
GWB

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Art-didn't see the deal about JJ and the nanna peel barrel. What do you spect and or what did JJ speculate did it?

I'd think something in the barrel?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
IIRC JJ was prety adamant there was not a barrel obstruction. Browning had a bad run of barrel steel a while back, as did most manufacturers, but Browning and Pac-Nor seem to have gotten the worst of it, according to the very limited stuff I have seen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Bricktop
I have no issues with where they were made and have a bunch of other Brownings, made in Japan, to show for it. My dislike is for A-Borts, not Browning.
art
I am aware of that and my comments weren't directed towards you.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
hard to place blame on Browning if the steel run sucked....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

True enough .... but show my an American made alternative in 7x42 and perhaps I may spend my moola on that option.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
257Deland: The recent maufactured Browning bolt Rilfes (last 25 years or so) are unattractive and foreign.
The performance they provide can easily and more CHEAPLY be obtained from other factory Rifles - some of which are made in the U.S.A.!
Not only are the recent Brownings unattractive they feel funny to me when I handle them - now indeed that is a subjective and personal observation but it is one that I am certain is shared by many Rifle users.
I have a Browning bolt action Rifle (circa 1968) that is so beautiful and so wonderful to handle and Hunt with that I would NEVER consider selling it!
It is ALSO very accurate!
This Browning bolt action Rifle is in caliber 222 Remington Magnum by the way.
This older Browning bolt action Rifle is indeed on my "favorites list"!
Sadly the newer Brownings don't turn my crank at all.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Bricktop
art

I too understand that Art and did not intend to infer that your, or anybody else's, dislike for A-Bolts was solely based on where they're made. I'm just curious how many hypocrites hate them only because of where they're made yet have no problem owning products made in other former enemy countries.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Side note, I kind of like the feel of the A-bolt Ti. It's lighter than the Montana, it costs more than the Montana and I'd bet it'd feed better and would should circles around the Montana day in and day out. And lastly it doesn't have the obnoxious beer belly that the Montana does.

It aint a cheap date however....so who's gonna be the guinnea

Dober

Mark,

A good friend picked up a Browning Ti a couple of years back in 270WSM. Stupid camo stock, the whole 9 yards.

FWIW I had recommended he get a Montana, but in all honesty I don't think a Kimber would be any better. The Browning stock is very comfortable, you can't make that rifle bobble, and if you want to be a bit generous you can say it shoots into an inch as issued. I did talk him into having it bedded and the crown touched up.

He loves that rifle and has used it a lot in the past two years. That said he is a hunter, not a shooter. The rifle has probably seen 200 rounds in that time.

It is worth mentioning that when working up loads for it with the 130 TSX, we ran into pressures 150 fps sooner that I expected or my Nosler manual predicted. I wouldn't be happy with that, he loves it because I kinda forgot to tell him! wink So far deer, a couple of elk and at least one bear haven't known the difference.

One thought...for what he paid I could have had one hell of a nice little custom built.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A-bolts suck, don't care where they are made........

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Side note, I kind of like the feel of the A-bolt Ti. It's lighter than the Montana, it costs more than the Montana and I'd bet it'd feed better and would should circles around the Montana day in and day out. And lastly it doesn't have the obnoxious beer belly that the Montana does.

It aint a cheap date however....so who's gonna be the guinnea

Dober

I'm your huckleberry.... 7mm WSM Ti - 1" or smaller groups - I keep waffling between 150gr TSX @ 3100+ or 160gr Nosler AB at 3000 fps. I've handled Kimber Montanas and prefer the Ti stock feel and balance. She kick's like a mule on the bench but is nice to carry.

My two favorite rifles for balance and feel are my Kimber 84M Classic and my wife's LH Browning Micro-Hunter (20" barrel).

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (01Foreman400, 1minute, 06hunter59, 338rcm, 222Sako, 338Rules, 61 invisible), 2,380 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,538
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.