Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495
hard to place blame on Browning if the steel run sucked....

Good point, and I'm trying to recall but didn't Sako have some issues with barrels as well?

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 12/05/09.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally I prefer that handling and feel of the Ti A Bolt as well. Would prefer the stock was black or something like that. And I like the sticky feel of the handle.

Just wished it was priced closer to the Montana.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by rost495
hard to place blame on Browning if the steel run sucked....

Good point, and I'm trying to recall but didn't Sako have some issues with barrels as well?

Dober

Dober, I believe there were some Sako 75 Finnlights that had the barrels split. This would be roughly 5-10 years ago.
Bad run of Russian steel was one internet report but who knows.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have issues with both Browning Canada after my brother's experence with a rotten stock on his BBR and my son's A-Bolt II. The only LH used rifle I found was a stock shortened A-bolt Medalion 30-06 BOSS. It was good price,too. The finish was too hard and shattered,and the blueing wore off quickly. My 20yr old Remington M-700 soon looked better.But that's minor, when the center bolt backs off a touch,it won't feed.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have owned a Browning A bolt stalker in 270 and 7 Mag, both shot less than 1/2" three shot groups.

Dad has a 7 Mag with a boss, it shoots with the bullets touching at 100 yards.

I have many Rem's and one Ruger plus some customs.

If a rifle is extremely accurate, then I'm a happy camper.

We have never had any issues with any of the A bolts.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought a new LH stainless stalker with BOSS in 7mm-08 the only year they were offered. It has taken caribou up by Hudson Bay, mule deer in Montana & WY, pigs in TN and whitetail in OK, and MI
It is deadly accurate, light weight and just a pure pleasure to own and shoot. It's right up there with my Model 70, 700BDL and custom MRC.
I can't find anything bad to say about it or the other Browning shotguns I own.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
JAPAN

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did I mention they are make in JAPAN.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Did I mention they are make in JAPAN.
Yes, and you also mentioned a confusion with tense and past tense. But like your ignorance of language, the rest of the adults here are willing to overlook a minor thing such as country of origin.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have owned exactly one. I liked it pretty well though. It was a synthetic matte blue in .223 rem. I shot some stuff with it, and then sold it to buy something else.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I like a lot of the old Brownings, the A-5, the .22 Auto, the Double Automatic, the Belgian bolt guns, and the Superposed. The new Japanese Browning stuff just leaves me cold. Purely a subjective thing on my part. I do have one Japanese Browning, a stainless BT-99 trap gun. The gun works well for me but I feel about the same toward it as I would a set of golf clubs.

Mathew 22: 37-39

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RickF
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Side note, I kind of like the feel of the A-bolt Ti. It's lighter than the Montana, it costs more than the Montana and I'd bet it'd feed better and would should circles around the Montana day in and day out. And lastly it doesn't have the obnoxious beer belly that the Montana does.

It aint a cheap date however....so who's gonna be the guinnea

Dober

Mark,

A good friend picked up a Browning Ti a couple of years back in 270WSM. Stupid camo stock, the whole 9 yards.

FWIW I had recommended he get a Montana, but in all honesty I don't think a Kimber would be any better. The Browning stock is very comfortable, you can't make that rifle bobble, and if you want to be a bit generous you can say it shoots into an inch as issued. I did talk him into having it bedded and the crown touched up.

He loves that rifle and has used it a lot in the past two years. That said he is a hunter, not a shooter. The rifle has probably seen 200 rounds in that time.

It is worth mentioning that when working up loads for it with the 130 TSX, we ran into pressures 150 fps sooner that I expected or my Nosler manual predicted. I wouldn't be happy with that, he loves it because I kinda forgot to tell him! wink So far deer, a couple of elk and at least one bear haven't known the difference.

One thought...for what he paid I could have had one hell of a nice little custom built.

Hmmmmm, .270WSM-150fps= .270 Winchester, right?

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have an old A-Bolt hunter in 22/250. I've probably shot it more than any other rifle I've ever owned. It's accurate, consistent, fits me well and has been dependable. A Leupold 2x7 fits perfectly on it. The only thing I don't like about it is the mag set up. I wish the twist was faster, but it does shoot heavier bullets well. I don't care if it's made in Japan as I've owned guns made in USA, Checkoslovakia, China, Japan, Finland, England, Turkey, Germany, Russia etc etc etc ....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yepper that's right and it's not the first time I've heard of that.

I could be wrong but I think that off all the WSM's that the 270 had the toughest time showing the speed gains that perhaps it should.

Smallest bore dia maybe?

Dober

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 5 Browning A-Bolts in the safe and every one of them is insanely accurate, with no work being done. Just slap a scope on them and go drive tacks.
They do kick more than my Remingtons and Winchesters in the same calibre, but I forgive them when I'm doing more carrying than shooting, but still want to make that shot count when I do find a suitable target.
I guess I've just been lucky though, I have no rust issues even though I've spent a fair amount of time toting them around in the big water looking for black and brown bears.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
They do kick more than my Remingtons and Winchesters in the same calibre

Oh, that's another thing I don't like about the A-Bolts. The butt end is waaaaay to small.

The REALLY HARD Browning pad in the pic came off a, A-Bolt 375H&H.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm partial to the Browning small butts....women too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I don't like the way the stocks fit me, and I agree about the oddball bolt handle, and the over-engineered magazines. Come to think of it, I just don't like anything about them. Never saw any real purpose to a short-lift bolt, either, it just doesn't feel right to me.

I don't fuss and cuss about them, I just don't like anything about them.

That about sums it up for me too and I have owned one.

Weiners are health food - My dad
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I own a Browning A-bolt in 7mm-08. I have had no problems with it. It's accurate and has functioned flawlessly for many years. I've killed a lot of deer with it. My cousins own a good many Browning A-bolt rifles as well and I have never heard a single complaint from them either.

Question for you "Japan-haters"- where do your optics, especially binoculars, hail from? Just curious how many of you hate Japanese-made firearms but love German-made optics.

LOL! Good point. If you are a "Buy Only American" guy then that's one thing but to boycott Japan while giving Germany a free pass is pretty inconsistent and indefensible.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I have one of the early A-bolts in .338 winchester mag. I got it in 1987. It is light weight and extremely accurate. I have killed many deer and elk with it and have taken it to Africa 4 times. I have several rifles but this is the one gun I would never get rid of.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (arky65, afisher, Aviator, 35, AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, 10 invisible), 1,461 guests, and 757 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,596
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.