Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Got a pilot light that wont stay lit on a gas water heater that is approx 8 years old, any advise as to why?

Thanks

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
When I light the pilot, it wont stay lit when i release the red knob

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
When I light the pilot, it wont stay lit when I release the red knob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why did it go out? Was it down long?

Assume there is a trap/clean-out on the black iron line running to the block valve? There could be condensate built up enough to impede flow.

Is it possible you entire system is tripped? Your main entry regulator to the house may have tripped due to a flow shut-down-speedup situation.

Take the cover off the center of the regulator and pull the center pin toward you, hard!
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
No problem with the gas, we have a gas stove and it works fine, as for any condensation everything is dry. It just stopped working this morning.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Why did it go out? Was it down long?

Assume there is a trap/clean-out on the black iron line running to the block valve? There could be condensate built up enough to impede flow.

Is it possible you entire system is tripped? Your main entry regulator to the house may have tripped due to a flow shut-down-speedup situation.

Take the cover off the center of the regulator and pull the center pin toward you, hard!
art

Take note of what is said here. Clean out...
You might have good gas at your stove, you stove is not the issue. Undue your gas line to your water heater, open the valve give it a blow. clean and check your regulator. This is common for debris to stop gas flow. Debris is from the pipe over time.

Hope this helps.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The jet (nozzle) may be dirty... and a quick pke with a pin, hairclip, wire, whatever may clean it up. We have ridiculously clean gas here and that does not happen, but it does elsewhere. Usually you can see a black "spike" sticking up from the jet when it is plugging that way.

You may have a bad flame sensor... Take the two wires lose and insert a jumper (paperclip) between them and see if that allows it to hold the valve open.

Gas valve has shutdowns also and they can be jumpered out one by one of the fire refuses to stay lit.

Have they been working on the line nearby? Could there be a bubble of air in the system? Pilot does not use much gas and the bubble of air may have puddled out...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Quick point... If the pilot stays lit as long as you hold it, but shuts down ASAP when the red knob is released the problem is not likely gas-related, but flame sensor-related.
art

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtbugler63
Got a pilot light that wont stay lit on a gas water heater that is approx 8 years old, any advise as to why?

Thanks

He didn't say it wouldn't lite, he said it wouldn't stay lit. Thermal Couple is bad, $12 fix.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thanks for the advise, I will try and keep you updated!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It's one of 3 things. What's your pilot flame look like? It should be a sharp hard blue flame, if it's yellow tipped and the flame is bouncing around then you're pilot orfice if dirty. If the pilot looks ok, then I would say your thermocouple has crapped out. If you change it be careful not to tighten it too tight...finger tight + 1/4 turn with a wrench. If none of that works you're looking at a gas valve.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

mtbugler63

Welcome to the Campfire.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Everyone is quick to jump on the bad thermocouple but if the pilot flame isn't touching the thermocouple due to crud in the pilot orfice the pilot flame won't hold.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
he said it wouldn't stay lit. Thermal Couple is bad, $12 fix.

what he said....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
BigEars has it right. 90% chance it's a dirty pilot or thermocouple. The flame should be hard abd blue and impinge on the top 1/2" or so of the thermocouple. It could have a ECO or other junk on it, but I'd need a picture to tell. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtbugler63
Thanks for the advise, I will try and keep you updated!

There should be a little metal cylinder piece with a wire running to the valve, the pilot flame heats it up. What that does is create a small amount of electric current which tells the valve the pilot is on.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Is it a Whirlpool from Lowe's? (actually made by American, I think?) If so, there's an upgrade kit that replaces most of the burner parts. Seems the sealed combustion chamber and the thermocouple didn't get along, so numerous parts had to be changed. Don't toss the old burner, though, because you have to canibalize part of it.
Repeat: all this assumes it's a Whirlpool...

"The catfish is a plenty good enough fish for anyone"
-Mark Twain
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried."
~ Winston Churchill

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thank you Hammerdown, I am also in N Kalif. The flame was blue and touching the thermocouple so I have the old one out and will take it with me to compare to the new one.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Quick point... If the pilot stays lit as long as you hold it, but shuts down ASAP when the red knob is released the problem is not likely gas-related, but flame sensor-related.
art

What Art and Crosshair said.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (1100mag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 57 invisible), 19,028 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,979
Posts18,539,974
Members74,052
Most Online21,014

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.