Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunnut308
What isle are the tampons and popcorn on ????????????????????????

The Isle of Lesbos?

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a Browning Safari that was stolen from me that I liked a lot. I would really like to get that one back. I wouldn't walk across the street for one of the new A-Bolts. Not that I don't think that it is a good rifle, I just can't get past the looks, The older I get the more particular I am about who I hunt with and what I hunt with.

Harry
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by 257Deland
Not that I'm a fan, but in the 4 months that I've been on the Campfire nobody ever mentions them in a best,favorite type of thread. Why? Just curious.

Cuz they're ugly?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got a couple of them.

One is an old A-Bolt that I bought just for the action alone, the stock was beat, and it had been rechambered to 257 Ackley Imp. I WAS going to rebarrel it in 35-284, cuz 35's are the perfect caliber, and the 284 Win is a great case. BUT, after a session of fire forming some 257 Roberts brass in it to form the "Improved" version, and finding somewhat of just a slightly enlarged hole on the paper...I left it alone, refinished the stock and man is it a great little Roberts..!

The other is a Micro Medallion chambered in 284 Winchester.
Shooting 140 grain Nosler BT's into less than an inch..nothing to bitch about.

As for "Made In Japan" So are the electronics on my Harley.

Scott

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
They cost more than remington's, rugers, Weatherby Vanguards, and others that produce perfectly good rifles, and don't have the rep for reliability of something like the Ruger. (you never hear of anyone paddling their canoe with their Abolt cause they lost their paddle, then filling their tag) To my eye, the wood & blued rifles look gaudy. Some of them come with a lot of features that I don't care for in a hunting rifle, such as Boss systems, detachable mags etc.

They make an accurate out of the box rifle, but so does everyone else, especially for those that reload, know to rework the trigger or get it reworked, etc.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My goodness, where do you think the chips used in the primary fire control system in the F 15 are made? HINT the flag is white with a red circle.

They are fine, expensive rifles that just don't get the 700 is God hype.

My Cynergy O/U clays gun has digested 1000s of rounds w/o a hiccup. The non salt wood Safaris are still one of the finest Mauser based rifles made.

But to buy a gun, you gotta need one and Browning has yet to make an AR.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by stubblejumper
If the A-Bolt rifles are so bad, how come everytime I watch one of the more well known, nationally sponsored hunting shows on the Outdoor Channel, the host is using an A-Bolt rifle to hunt with.

Possibly because Browning sponsors many of the shows?

No actually, Winchester sponsors a couple of them. My A-Bolt Micro Medallion rifle is a class act. I bought it new in 1999 for $500 with the BOSS. I just sold it (had it listed here, in fact) because I don't need or want a .243 any longer It is one really neat, little compact, pretty rifle that will shoot groups you won't believe. It is the only Browning that can be purchased with the BOSS device now. The argument is moot anyhow because Browning now has the X-Bolt and just announced that they will be discontinuing the A-Bolt. The X-Bolt is the same action and barrel with a different look (still from Miroku).

CDR3
R
R
Love mine. Just got a 243 WSSM A-Bolt hunter. First time out shot my first half inch 5-shot group ever with it. Hornady VMax 58 grainers w/ 46.3 gr of IMR 4007 ssc. Just a starter load, but man! My two Model 70s of the same caliber with same loads shot just over 1 inch groups that day. Needless to say, I love this little A-Bolt.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RayMan; 12/09/09.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Back in 1991 bought an A-Bolt in .270. The very first shot during the big game season dropped this 35.5" Muley. That A-Bolt has gone on to drop a dozen elk and who knows how many deer, rabbits, ground squirrels, coyotes etc, etc. For a few years it was my only centerfire and it had to do everything, which it did.

This morning I got an email, saying the rebarrel job was complete. Another .270 barrel.

While I prefer Sakos/Tikkas and Salvages, I will not knock my old A-Bolt. To each his own though.

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by stubblejumper
I never bashed Browning. I just don't buy them because they are overpriced and made in Japan.

I bought the Howas because of the low price and they are reliable and accurate. That appeals to me.

Where do you suppose Howas are made?

I found that a little comical myself.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 12/09/09.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Buckwheat,
I'll forget Pearl Harbor when the African Americans forget that slavery thing, that was way back before my ancestors came to this country.
If you think everyone who disagrees with you is an ignorant dumbass. I would be proud to be an ignorant dumbass.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Japan ,the same country that brought us Pearl Harbor!

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Buckwheat,
FYI,
I'm waiting for the blacks to forget slavery.............

Still waiting...........
whelennut

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I bought my Stainless A-bolt with BOSS back when options for left-handed shooters were not as good as they are today(and today the options still aren't all that good). Developing a load consisted of finding a good load from the manual, then tuning the BOSS, which took about 25-30 rounds before it was shooting clover-leaf groups at 100 yds. It is loud, but I can forgive the noise when it shoots tiny groups. And after 37 years of flying jets, I have either lost a good portion of my hearing,or have learned to use hearing protection.
The trigger is not the best, but it can be adjusted. It makes a fairly light-weight, accurate rifle that fits my requirements. Now if Browning will bring out an X-Bolt in left-hand short action, I will add to my Browning collection.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by whelennut
Buckwheat,
I'll forget Pearl Harbor when the African Americans forget that slavery thing, that was way back before my ancestors came to this country.
If you think everyone who disagrees with you is an ignorant dumbass. I would be proud to be an ignorant dumbass.
whelennut
Where you truly demonstrate your ignorance is the belief that anyone who disagrees with the subject is a dumbass. No, there have been plenty of people who don't like the A-Bolt for valid reasons, either an issue of ergonomics, construction, function, pricing, etc. To HATE -- and that's the only way to categorize your vile invective -- based on country of origin is just plain STUPID. Not to mention hypocritical. On the one hand you HATE the A-Bolt because it's made in Japan, but on the other you sing the praises of Howa rifles which are also -- dare I say -- made in Japan.

You should get your lithium dosage increased. SOON!!!!!

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Bricktop
[quote=whelennut]I just don't buy them because they are overpriced and made in Japan.

I bought the Howas because of the low price and they are reliable and accurate. That appeals to me.
So if Browning would bring their prices down, you'd be willing to overlook their country of origin?

Japanese pilots did bomb Pearl Harbor though, just saying.
And German saboteurs committed various acts of terrorism in the U.S. during WWI. Just saying.

I drive a Ford truck and Harley Davidson motorcycle.
I try to buy American made but have settled for American owned companies. Even that is getting tougher.
How much of those so-called "American owned" companies is actually owned by "Americans?" How much of their profits actually go back into the U.S. economy? Dumbass."

Buckwheat
You called me dumbass you dumbass!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You called me dumbass you dumbass!
No, you called yourself out as a dumbass.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Buckwheat,
whelennut
Where you truly demonstrate your ignorance is the belief that anyone who disagrees with the subject is a dumbass. No, there have been plenty of people who don't like the A-Bolt for valid reasons, either an issue of ergonomics, construction, function, pricing, etc. To HATE -- and that's the only way to categorize your vile invective -- based on country of origin is just plain STUPID. Not to mention hypocritical. On the one hand you HATE the A-Bolt because it's made in Japan, but on the other you sing the praises of Howa rifles which are also -- dare I say -- made in Japan.

Buckwheat,
Where did I say I hate the A-Bolt? I don't hate them and never said I did. You are projecting your own hatred onto others. Check your meds Bro!
The original post questioned why no love?
My response was that It is possible people would rather Buy American. (Due to the fact that Japs bombed Pearl Harbor.)
I certainly never said I hated A-Bolts!
The fact is that I bought Howas in spite of my nationalistic feelings about American Made products indicates that maybe I am not as bad as you would like to portray me to be.
You have a chip on your shoulder!

If remembering Pearl Harbor makes me an ignorant dumbass, then what does remembering slavery make the American Black Man?
( A rocket scientist?)
whelennut

whelennut

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buckwheat,
whelennut

Buckwheat,
Where did I say I hate the A-Bolt? I don't hate them and never said I did. You are projecting your own hatred onto others. Check your meds Bro!
The original post questioned why no love?
My response was that It is possible people would rather Buy American. (Due to the fact that Japs bombed Pearl Harbor.)
I certainly never said I hated A-Bolts!
The fact is that I bought Howas in spite of my nationalistic feelings about American Made products indicates that maybe I am not as bad as you would like to portray me to be.
You have a chip on your shoulder!

If remembering Pearl Harbor makes me an ignorant dumbass, then what does remembering slavery make the American Black Man?
( A rocket scientist?)
whelennut
None of the nonsense you post makes any sense, it's all some sort of bullshit circular logic. You've distinguished yourself as someone who would likely hold membership in that pointy head, sheet-wearing, secret society. On the one hand you post one ignorant, xenophobic epithet after another about the A-Bolt being made in Japan, but on the other you extol the virtues of your MADE IN JAPAN Howas. Do you even know what in the hell you're posting? Can you even string together a coherent thought? Those are rhetorical questions, by the way, everyone already knows the answer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dunno, but wish I did.

Like others I just couldn't warm up to it.

really pizzes me off too and them and Savage offered more choices in lh than any other maker to my knowledge.

know guys here that use em and like em, wish I coulda been one of them

but I'm pretty much Pavlov'd in the use of Rem 700's, too late to teach this old dog very many new tricks

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1minute, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 160user, 3333vl, 64 invisible), 2,332 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,461
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.