Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I need either a good quality 4x fixed power scope for my Kimber 84M, or possibly a short variable with shorter eye relief. Let me tell you a story...

I just bought a Kimber M-84m in 7mm-08, and matched it with a new Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 on Warne mounts and Burris Zee rings, both in matte finish. Made in heaven, right? Not so fast - there's too much eye relief with this combo. The short bridge of the Kimber action prevents me moving the scope as far forward as I'd like; I ended up leaning my head back a bit rather than getting a good cheek weld. A change from medium rings to high rings changed the geometry a bit for the better, but not enough. I now have on it a glossy Weaver K-4, and it works, but this combo offends me a little.

The Weaver is a fine scope, and I've shot some remarkable groups with it. But it's a loooong scope, now on a shrt actn, and the overhang looks silly, besides giving the possibility of flex impacting barrel/scope. Being a shallow person, I want it to look better, prefeably in matte. The Leupie 4X would be good, except it isn't fully multi-coated, another requirement. The 4X is kind of a red-headed stepchild these days, but surely there's something...

Another approach would be a variable with less eye relief than the VX-III. I don't trust the factory eye relief figures - are there any I can trust?

Jaywalker

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like the Kahles 4X36 sounds like the right fix for your situation.

Mine is on a MRC SA 358winnie.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just a hunch, but I bet the Leupold 4X is in for a makeover verrry sson.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Well, Whitetail, mwah-ha-ha, I was hoping someone would say that... I think I can wait til November...

Though the Call-Us is certainly interesting.

Jaywalker

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Me Too!!!

I want 2 of them...

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Consider extension rings. Leupold and Weaver make them.

I have a Kahles AH 2-7 on an 84M. They have less eye relief. That's an expensive way to solve it however.

It's late. I will try to look at this tommorrow.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Would a good shotgun scope solve your problem? I use a 1.5 X 5x X 20 Simmons Pro Diamond on my lever Guide Gun. Midway has a large selection of scopes online with the eye relief in the specs. Look for optics. Good luck. George

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hope there is some truth to that. I have a rifle it would be perfect on but I don't want one until they upgrade it with good lens coatings.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I have a Kahles 4X on my 30-06 pump. It's a fine scope. Mine has the 4A reticle which is my favorite until the TDS came out. I don't think the TDS is available on the 4X, however. Swarovski, Zeiss or S&B would look great on that Kimber too.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Don't think the extension rings will work for me. It's the rear that would have to be extended, and that would then encroach over the bolt/chamber opening.

A shotgun scope would work, but many of them have the straight tube at the objective, rather than the bell. The Weaver K-2.5 is set up like that, too, and would likely work well, though only in gloss. By choice, though, I'd prefer the balanced appearance (I admitted to shallowness) of the double-bell 4X.

Jaywalker

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do a search for SKS scopes and you will find a bunch of short scopes. I don't know anything about the quality though. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Maybe a Weaver Grand Slam 4.75X ??? As mentioned above, Midway has specs. on their site.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Weaver 4.75 is indeed a very good scope for the purpose, but like whitetail I have also heard that great things may be happening soon to the Leupold fixeds.

MD

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks, all. I think I'll wait for the Leupold, now that the rumours I'd heard (read?) seem to be supported.

At least, I can wait until I see evidence of scope/barrel slap...

Jaywalker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I considered a Weaver Grand Slam 4.75. I already have a 4.75 Weaver that I think is a really good scope (it isn't a Grand Slam). But the price for a GS was around $235 or maybe $250 and I got my Kahles new for $350 and got a better scope (I believe).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thinking out loud here,mainly to myself,because noone else is gonna dig this concept.

I'm thinking I could do some amazing things with this Leupold glass.

She's pretty short,super tough and has the eye-relief seemingly whooped.

With 90MOA of "up" a guy could do alotta things..................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Big Stick,

Well, I have to admit, I never considered a 30mm tac scope. In its favor, it looks as if the adjuster ring isn't set as far forward as some, but it does have some disadvantages, too. It's a bit heavy to go onto a Kimber, I think, and the eye relief looks a little worse than the VX-III, so no joy on this one.

Elkslayer,

Where did you get a Kahles for $350?

Jaywalker

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My impression was that you sought a glass of LESS relief? I musta missed somethin'.

As to the weight,16 ounces isn't outta hand for what you get as an end result(my opinion).

Besides,I knowed I was the only one out on that limb anyhow........................(grin)

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Big Stick,

No, you were right - less eye relief. In a quick comparo, I glommed onto the high of one and the low of the other. Apples and apples, the tac scope has less.

Jaywalker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a Kimber 84 in 308 on loan for a while. Most of the time it was topped with a Weaver GS 4.75 X in Talley rings mounted very close to the barrel. It was a great combo and was used to take several head of game. You wont have any barrel slap with this scope or the Leupold. The only times I have seen this is with scopes of excessive length and large objectives (especially with AOs). Even then it is not predictable and is influenced by many variables.

If I could only have one scope it would be the Leupold 4X, with or without improvements.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 12344mag, 70 invisible), 2,692 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,829
Posts18,516,877
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.