Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I tried to do a search but couldn't find any prior posts regarding GA Precision rifles but I know there have been some that have posted.

Anyway, they seem to build some darn nice stuff, I was just checking out their website and see they now build a more lightweight hunting rifle - the Non-Typical.

Per their website, supposed to weigh 6lb. 9oz with a 25 inch Bartlein barrel and their GAP Templar action which looks cool

Anybody out there have one of these rifles or ever handled one? Seems the price for a completed rifle is pretty good considering what you get.

Anyway, any other comments or better yet pics of their rifles would be appreciated, It sure wouldn't suck to have one of these in a 7mm08.
Thanks

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
THey've always seemed high to me, vs what is done, BUT I"ve not heard anything bad about accuracy or reliability. Including from a number of competition shooters.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
THey've always seemed high to me, vs what is done, BUT I"ve not heard anything bad about accuracy or reliability. Including from a number of competition shooters.

Well, when you have made as many mistakes ($$$$) as I've made their price looks pretty good:) Sure like the look of their stuff.

"Team 7MM-08"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I might pm scenarshooter, I think he has a Non-Typical.

Empirical results rule!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
^^ Yep, he does

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info - I will send him a PM.

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Their prices are actually low. When guys assume their prices are high they aren't considering that most GAP built rifles have Badger bottom metal, rings, and bases which total nearly $500 just for those parts. Most of thier rifles are wearing tactical stocks that cost significantly more than a base McMillan.

When you compare apples to apples their prices are great!

The best rifle I own from an attention to detail standpoint is a GAP. The most accurate rifle I own is a GAP.

The only negative I see with them is a large back log resulting in a long wait.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by bxroads
Their prices are actually low. When guys assume their prices are high they aren't considering that most GAP built rifles have Badger bottom metal, rings, and bases which total nearly $500 just for those parts. Most of thier rifles are wearing tactical stocks that cost significantly more than a base McMillan.

When you compare apples to apples their prices are great!

The best rifle I own from an attention to detail standpoint is a GAP. The most accurate rifle I own is a GAP.

The only negative I see with them is a large back log resulting in a long wait.

I can agree with this point, as I'm in the end run of having my first custom built (not by GAP, though). I supplied most of the components, so my smith is just getting money for his labor, and that is still the price of a nice hunting rifle. That doesn't come close to the amount I spent picking up the pieces, and I saved money on everything but the barrel (spent $15 extra over what Bartlien charges to get one without the wait). Adding up what I've spent so far (custom action, custom stock, name barrel, name trigger), I'm coming in close to what GAP is charging, and I don't have Badger bottom metal. Only, mine isn't a long wait......

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info - any idea on what their wait time is for a completed rifle??

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Thanks for the info - any idea on what their wait time is for a completed rifle??

This was posted by George on 10-23-09

Been getting alot of calls on current turnarround times.

Like Ive said in the past any time given is an estimate based on the info we have at that second. lots of things can change and we dont hold all the cards.

On threading work we are running 1-2 weeks. Thats threaded with a protector or if you supply the brake. If the brake has to be ordered it can take longer and its up to the supplier and or manufacturer on how much longer.

Bolt Knobs are stil done the same day recieved.

Bolt stops, Sako extractors, M-16 extractors are 3-5 weeks

Bedding 4-6 weeks

Barrel jobs (if the barrel is in stock or supplied) 4-6 weeks

Full builds when the customer suplys everything 2-3 months

Custom Orders (where we supply everything) 7-10 months depends on how fast the stock arrives.

Crusaders, Hospitallers, Non-Typicals, somtimes in stock but normally a 3-6 week turnarround as we keep theese in cycle.

AR-10 work and builds, ???? still slow in getting parts, its getting better but there is still no flow of any of it yet, Should be back to Pre-Obama soon.

Guys this is as close as I can estimate and again its based on current workload . Hope this answers a few questions.

if you have somthing here that you think is taking alot longer then it should by all means please call, Kerry or myself will find it and give you the reason its still here.

Thanks

[Linked Image]

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Never had my hands on their "hunting" rifles but own/owned 4 tactical builds. Couple of points...

1. THEY WILL SHOOT with the very best of them.

2. For the components they use, their prices are very reasonable.

3. GAP rifles have quite a following. Resale value is great on them.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
GAP does some of the best machine and bedding work I have seen.

Also, they'll build whatever you want. You don't have to get the "non-typical".

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had 3, own 2. This is my 16 year old Son's Non-Typical. I gave it to him three years ago. About 1800 rounds down the tube and MOA to 600 meters with most anything. He's freaking scary with 155 Scenars to 1000. GAPs IME have fantastic machining, the best bedding I've ever seen, and are wonderfully accurate. 2 of mine needed feed work and the WSM extraction/ejection was a total PIA to get straightened out. Another 'smith finally fixed it and the kid loves it.

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Journeyman,
Thats a fine looking rifle - good color combo!!
I may have to sell off some things and look into a GAP, seems to be good overall package. I pretty much like the one on their website as is, maybe just flute the barrel, see about maybe a slightly smaller bolt knob and I'd be not unhappy with what I had. Would make a fine antelope rifle in 7mm-08.

Last edited by Oregonmuley; 12/12/09.

"Team 7MM-08"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Never understood why "custom" 'smiths can't get feeding right? Feeding for me is right behind accuracy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by devnull
Never understood why "custom" 'smiths can't get feeding right? Feeding for me is right behind accuracy.

...and damn near first in line for me. I have no interest in a single shot bolt gun. smile

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But back to GAP...with their rifles even a blind squirrel.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one GAP rifle & another being built right now. Its the most accurate rifle I have ever shot - its a hammer!!!!

Here's my GAP in .308:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 300MAG; 12/13/09.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (219DW, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugemag, 21, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,704
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.