Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Guys using crossbows should be allowed to enter P&Y trophies like anybody else.

WHy? Bows are very technical and have almost same or better advantages than crossbows.

Crossbows have more limited range given shorter arrows and stuff.

I say let's start a petition to force bowhunters to accept us in their sport! We deserve better seasons and opportunities too- there are thousands of us and less of them.

Please write to P&Y to voice your vote now!

Monster Whitetails are Awesome!!!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Won't get my vote, sorry. A have a cross bow here and it's nothing like any of my compound bows or my recurve.

My 7yo son shot a ram with it a few months ago at 31 yards, there is no way in heck he would have been able to with a compound bow, he has not the aiming skill, the strength or the draw length/power stroke to launch an arrow with lethal force from a compound.

They are not even close to the same in my opinion!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Used to be a time that the only advantage a crossbow had was not having to draw the bow.

These days they are far superior. My best friend has a severe arm injury and he hates crossbows, but has been forced to one and its not in the same realm any more of a compound. While it used to be that crossbows were loud, big, slow and dropped like a rock, they now shoot 22 plus inch carbon arrows with super speeds... his is basically flat from 20-40... you won't find that in any compound bow.

Sides that... my personal thing is record books are worthless anyway. but thats just me.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
How about anyone over the age of 16 yrs? or 18 yrs?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My vote would be "NO". At least I would say "no" during any archery season. Take your animal during a rifle season with a crossbow, where legal, than sure. But I am guessing that is already addressed, maybe???

Brent

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
...the bow. These days they are far superior. ...crossbows...loud, big, slow and dropped like a rock... my personal thing is record books are ..just me.

Jeff

Well, we've proved crossbows are sometimes less effective than bows. You've proven that crossbows make more noise, are loud and even have a big sound, they are sometimes slow and drop like rocks.

SOunds like you've proven the case to force P&Y to accept crossbow kills for the record books..oh, record books are just me too.:)

Let's get along; otherwise people will have the crossbow manufacturers petition the F&G service for better seasons and bag limits. So contact P&Y today.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since P&Y is a private organization I rather doubt you will get those guys to agree with any of this nonsense. They are not regulated or required to do anything except what they wanna do!

It's not even close to hunting with an actual bow that you pull back with your own power and hold accurately while aiming. I have both here, I shoot both here. If Crossbow users want a record book to enter into, then they may as well start one. Muzzle loaders have done this already. Where is the interest in combining them anyway?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by brooksrange
Originally Posted by rost495
...the bow. These days they are far superior. ...crossbows...loud, big, slow and dropped like a rock... my personal thing is record books are ..just me.

Jeff

Well, we've proved crossbows are sometimes less effective than bows. You've proven that crossbows make more noise, are loud and even have a big sound, they are sometimes slow and drop like rocks.

SOunds like you've proven the case to force P&Y to accept crossbow kills for the record books..oh, record books are just me too.:)

Let's get along; otherwise people will have the crossbow manufacturers petition the F&G service for better seasons and bag limits. So contact P&Y today.

I"ve proven that crossbows are superior to compounds.... thats all I've done. Yep I see the nitch for the crossbow and have no issue, but game taken with them is much easier to take than with a normal bow.
I"d go for a crossbow category, but cross bow kills do NOT belong in normal P/Y books.
How you are tying P/Y with game and fish makes ZERO sense to me.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You're right. let's drop it, you win.

P&Y deserves to stay bows only. I looked it up and B&C accepts crossbow kills too.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Start your own. William and Tell or something.

Steve

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If it has to do with outlawing crossbows from archery seasons, I am on the crossbow side... I just don't think it matters IMHO.

Book wise I think it does to me anyway, but then again my real opinion is that bows with wheels don't belong eitehr... but my opinion ain't worth much. And I hunt with bows that have wheels and bows that don't so its not a hate issue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If p&y were my club to do with as I choose it would allow crossbow kills for entry. But, before it did I'd seperate into 3 distinct catagories. Longs and curves in one stand alone catagory, compounds in a second, and crossbows in the third.

But the club is not mine.

As to your post:
----------
"Guys using crossbows should be allowed to enter P&Y trophies like anybody else."
----------

According to p&y rules a crossbow is not defined as a bow. So it's not likely... unless they create a second catagory.

----------
"WHy? Bows are very technical and have almost same or better advantages than crossbows."
----------

Mine doesn't wink I'm launching apprx 500 grain total weight aircraft from 50# at my draw lonbow in the 180 fps range with no sights (other than the arrow tip) and off the shelf with fingers.
I believe I have advantages over both crossbows AND compounds but those are few and far outweighed in most situations by the advantages of the more advanced equipment.

---------
"Crossbows have more limited range given shorter arrows and stuff."
---------

With the above described setup I've killed critters out to 50 yards range. I'm sure crossbows can do at least that...

----------
"I say let's start a petition to force bowhunters to accept us in their sport!"
----------

Force? Very interesting. How much "force" you willing to apply?

"accept us into their sport" is also interesting. With the word "their" you're admitting there IS a line drawn in the sand... and admitting that you understand the implications of that line. IOW, you're admitting there IS a difference. I understand, it is a difference that you'd like to see widely ignored, but obviously you DO admit the difference exists. That's telling, yes it is.

"Their sport" ..... "Their sport" .....
These words just keep echoing in my ears. There's numerous things disagreeable about them... I think I'll just move on to the next point and leave it to the readers' imaginations.

---------
"We deserve better seasons and opportunities too-"
--------

Deserve?
Oh, do you now?
If crossbows aren't allowed in the archery season get a bow and hunt with that. What's the problem? Doesn't seem to me that you're deserving of any special treatment. Kinda reminds me of all those poor deprived black folks who refuse to be like everyone else and take advantage of what's available preferring special treatment over equal opportunity. This is also very telling...

---------
"there are thousands of us and less of them."
---------

Ahhhh, yes.... The mob rules mentality... Well, that rounds things out very nicely... and very predictably too when considering things I've just pointed out above.

-----------
"Please write to P&Y to voice your vote now!"
----------

I'll be doing no such thing.

Fact is I'm surprised at myself for writing this post. I usually don't bother with such, most often a complete waste of time and energy.

For the record I have no interest in P&Y or B&C or any other trophy registering club. I've never and will never enter anything in their books because I don't care. To me it's about hunting and enjoying the outdoors and to me there is no competition other than with the game persued. There is also, IMO, no competition for time slots with other hunters and no competition against hunters who use other hunting tools. These kinds of things seem silly to me in the extreme.

Record book clubs aren't your enemy. State game agencies aren't your enemy. Other hunters aren't your enemy. If you want changes made in your state's game regs or in the record book clubs or in the minds of other hunters you're going to have to... ummmm... how do I put this delicately... rethink your approach, present your desires and voice your opinions in a non-caustic manner taking special care to be as polite as possible not coming across as an elitist or an under-priveliged victim of circumstances and express interest in other people's desires and goals, as well as your own, while seeking solutions that work for everyone involved.

edited:
For the record I also don't care if crossbows are admitted into regular archery season. I have no dog in that fight for or against. If they are, I'll continue to hunt with my longbow, wish them well, and congratulate them when they make meat.
But that's just me...

Last edited by Archerhunter; 12/12/09.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
DFTFT

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Naw

]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Archerhunter,

I must say that you must be college educated and very intelligent. Your post is well-articulated and your psycho-analysis very deep; I think that you're right for the most part about the situation.

I will withdraw my statements.

I will say that crossbows are an up and coming threat to the bow sport and if there is nothing done about it, people using crossbow will try harder to get regulations changed, especially the crossbow manufacturing industry.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Crossbow is closer to a Muzz than a bow

You are wasting your breathe with P&Y...they understand the difference.

"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."

Things turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Crossbows?
P and Y?
It ain't ever gonna happen, shouldn't ever happen.
Start your own record book, call it whatever you like.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Won't get my vote, sorry!

Same here...cant compare the two sports in my opinion...might as well just use a rifle.When I can prop my bow on a rest like a crossbow we might talk. I dont have a problem if your disabled but its still not the same.

Last edited by barnabus; 12/12/09.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No

Me

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A fellow servicemember I was stationed with was allowed to use a crossbow during one archery hunt because of an injury to his shoulder that prohibited him from drawing a bow. He took a nice bull elk at a little over 70 yards... that bull would still be walking if the weapon had been a bow vs the crossbow.

IMO, crossbows aren't archery equipment. FWIW-I use to set them up whenever we had an order for one at the archery shop.

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

362 members (1lesfox, 160user, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 222ND, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 2,765 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,648
Posts18,533,810
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.