Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It's been almost sixty years since my nostrils thrilled to the exquisite aroma of genuine, pure sandalwood oil (Navy-issue to lube the gate of my big Simplex 35mm projector). But Boy! do I remember it! It's the most exquisite aroma that I've ever smelled � miles beyond even good ol' Hoppe's #9.

When I lived in Saudi Arabia, I tried to find a source for some frankincense and myrrh but couldn't find anyone who even knew what I was talking about. They must have different names for 'em now, and I didn't know the modern terms for 'em. So I'm doomed to die curious about 'em, I guess.

What are the most exquisite aromas that you've ever smelled?

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A freshly fired paper 12 ga shell from my Grandfather's Model 97 when I was a wee one with him on a pheasant hunt in eastern South Dakota! Whenever I smell it that day comes back as clear as can be!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the cold-enhanced smell of old balsam needles that came out of the boxes of Christmas lights and ornaments when we would get them down out of the attic when I was a kid

just-fired shotgun shells (especially paper)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wife's cornbread cooking.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
A freshly fired paper 12 ga shell from my Grandfather's Model 97 when I was a wee one with him on a pheasant hunt in eastern South Dakota! Whenever I smell it that day comes back as clear as can be!

One of my favorites, too � since the mid-1930s, from Dad's and Grandfather's twenty-gauge L C Smith doubles. Heady stuff for a five-year-old bashing through the briers behind 'em and picking up their empties.

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to be the aroma of the old paper hulls.
I would say for me though the best is the smell of water when you are so hot your eyeballs are fried and so thirsty your spitting cotton.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The frankincense and myrrh burning in the brazers at the entrances of the Souq in Tunis and the incense that was burning in a temple in Pakistan. I have frankincense and myrrh here but they don't smell the same as what I remember from Tunis. One from way back, a printed sheet fresh out of the mimeograph machine

Handgun Hunter no more. STILL LOVE THOSE .41's
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The back of the suburban this weekend with 3 dead boar in it....delightful

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. It's easy to understand why those several generations ahead of us had a fondness for sandalwood. My grandmother had a sandlewood box, but it went another direction in the family. Smell is one of those things that is hardwired straight into the brain, and certain aromas will can bring vivid memories to life.

For some reason any of the fresh cut woods have always been pleasant to me. I also love the coffee section in the stores, but can't stand to drink it at all.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Another one that's hard to beat is the smell of a dusty yard that's just been sprinkled by a brief shower.

"Good enough" isn't.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and let's not forget "the smell of napalm in the morning"

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
What are the most exquisite aromas that you've ever smelled?
Freshly cut alfalfa or Red Clover. A humid, northern Wisconsin hardwoods forest in the fall.. Hyacinths.. Prunus Padus in May.. Old, hometown bakeries..

And I just KNOW Cheryl Burke would have an awesome scent!! But I also know I'll never get close enough for a sniff.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
fresh, ripe oranges(goes with the memory trigger thing 1minute said) and rain storms.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Another one that's hard to beat is the smell of a dusty yard that's just been sprinkled by a brief shower.

Ohh yesssss. And drought time. Eyes scaning the sky day after burning dry day. Then a cloud and maybe you can see that gray veil hanging under it and maybe not but you can smell the rain way off there. Just smell it and try to suck it in, draw it to you. Smells so cool and good.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This one will probably get some people to shaking their heads, but it's my story and I'm sticking with it! wink

Several years ago I heard a story on Paul Harvey IIRC about a group of people that were skunk smell experts. I guess that there are like 12 distinct (don't quote me on the particulars), but a bunch of kinds of skunk smells anyways. People collect it and perfumes are made from it.

I always thought it sort of smelled neat before I ever heard that story, but then I started paying more attention. Too much skunk smell is just too much and it's pretty gross, but when you're just driving down a country road and can just catch a light whiff of the odor in the breeze, it is a pretty smell in a way.

I still don't want to smell a dog covered with skunk that want's in my house or in my pickup though -- That is just WAY too much of a good thing!! grin

Too many people buy stuff they don't want, with money they don't have, to impress people they don't like!
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
My grandmother's kitchen when she's cooking homemade light rolls.
My daughter's hair.
My wife after she gets out of a hot shower.
Oak firewood smoke drifting from the cabin, on a late November evening, as you make your way back after a day deer hunting.
Spring rain on a VA Blue Ridge trout stream.
Fresh cut, first cut, hayfields in late May.
Coffee cooked next to a backcountry campfire.
Seafood boiling over a driftwood blaze.
The smell from a fired .22LR in the early morning squirrel woods.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Babies

Puppy breath

grin

All American

All the time
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Unless you are from the Southwest you won't know, but the smell of creosote bush after a rain out in the desert is powerful good! Ditto on the 12 ga shells, one of the greatest. It is too bad a lot of todays kids will never smell fresh 12 ga. shells.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
� Late one summer might in 1956, I was driving on a 'way-back logging road high in the Cabinet range when a newly born fawn blocked my way. Its ma was snorting from the blackness of the high bank above the road cut, but the little fellow � still showing the lick marks where the doe had licked the amnion off it � was too wobbly on its feet to follow her up the steep bank.

I left the head lights on but killed the engine, got out, and easily caught the fawn in my arms.

I'd read often that new-born fawns had no odor. I had to see for myself. I stuck my nose into its soft flank �

� and smelled, very faintly, a very clean, very woodsy, indescribably wonderful odor.

� One fall day in 1954, I couldn't go squirrel-hunting with my partner Wyatt, but he later brought me a very special treat. He handed me the hawk that he'd just shot and bade me smell its breast feathers. I did so � and was rewarded with an unforgettable aroma � faint, clean, woodsy, like nothing else that I'd ever smelled.

"Good enough" isn't.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Desert sage, here.

A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.
Theodore Roosevelt
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1badf350, 10ring1, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 14,541 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,177
Posts18,543,142
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.