Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
You could just try oiling the metal and performing regular maintenance; cheaper, less glamorous, but more satisfying.

I cerakoted a pre-64 Winchester Model 70. I regret it to this day. I too thought I would have an all weather classic; I do, it is surely that. I still regret it.

Your Savage 99, if properly cared for, will outlive you. Save your money and just care for the gun.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I cerakoted a pre-64 Winchester Model 70.

Now that took guts! Although I have seen a few that would have been improved with that. My brother bought one one time that had a stock that had been antiqued (light green with brown streaks) like they use to do furniture in the 60's. That one took some work.

I have used Cerakote on several stainless rifles and am seriously considering a Remington Model 14 that has no original finish. I use it for a beater, bad weather rifle and it will rust in a second. I have been very satisfied with the results I have gotten with Cerakote, but I will keep my Model 70 walnut and blued steel. grin

Harry
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Have you considered a quality rust blue finish? Much more rust resistant than hot caustic bluing and it will give your classic rifle the elegant look it deserves. I love the high tech coating for some applications. A classic rifle with a walnut stock is not one of them. If you are not familiar with the qualities of the rust blue finish, do yourself a favor and look into it before making your choice. My own Savage 99 project gun will wear a rust blue finish and will be hunted in any weather.

Allen

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I had a 1970s Winchester 94 Duracoated by Lauer Custom Weaponry earlier this year, one of those where the receiver was of poor quality steel and would not hold blue. They did an outstanding job. I hunted in the 100% humidity on Sunday in East Texas and wiped the thing off with a cloth--done.

Duracoat is cheaper than Cerakoat, I think. Took Lauer about 6 weeks to finish. Best money I've spent on a gun project. I did mine in Black Oxide and had them add sheen to make it look like gun bluing. Their "Gun Blue" color is WAY too blue, I'd go w/ one of the black colors.

Good luck.

http://www.lauerweaponry.com/

"The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's." Mark Twain
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
"The more I know about people, the more I like my dog." Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you happen on a real rough beater, you might try the John Norrell, Inc. "Moly Resin Finish". It is a home bake-on in your oven finish for about $30. I have it on a Sav 99 in .243 that my granddaughter uses. If the wood is rough or the later years (cheap looking), you might think about the ugly, black spray-on, pickup bed liner for the stocks. Walla, you have converted an ugly duckling into a sweet, nasty weather rifle for under $50. Good luck.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Gary,
Our Dyna Gun Shield is not made by CeraKote. It is our own product and I think is what you're looking for. You can apply it yourself by wipping it on with a cotton cleaning patch. It comes in satin or matte. I belive satin would work for you. You clean the metal with denatured alcohol. Then put a little of our coating on a cotton patch and rub it evenly over the bluing. You'll need 2 to 3 coats. Wait 30 min. between coats. There is enough in a kit to coat 5 or 6 long guns and if it's scatched just recoat that area. You can use the gun in 3 to 4 hours and it will continue to cure over a 5 day period. Rick sells it here on the Campfire for $24.95 plus shipping.

Doug Burche
Gun coating with Dyna Coat and CeraKote
Dyna Bore Coat,Because barrel cleaning SUCKS.
www.dynamicfinishes.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
@ Doug-
Trying to remember our conversation a while back but didn't you say that your Bore Coat and Dyna Gun Shield both work on Stainless Steel too?

I do remember you saying the bore coat does now that I think about it but wasn't sure about the gun shield... If it does, then I have a two applications that I'll be using it on that I don't want coated but would like a little extra protection.

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
D2D
Yes it works on SS as well also brass and we get good adhesion on glass. Just FYI. We have new charts on both products on the website. Saly spray testing came back at 850 hours.
Doug

Doug Burche
www.dynamicfinishes.com
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Doug, didn't see any pictures on the web site of a gun with the Dyna Gun Shield (is this the same as the Ultra Gun Shield on the web site?). Any pictures you could post for us?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Calhoun,
Yes same same. Sorry we don't have pics. We are going to make an application vid. in the next couple of weeks however. We are changing the website also. I'll get something on the board for you soon. The coating is as clear as water if that helps. I'll check as we were to have new pdf. up on the site for UBC and DGS.

Doug Burche
www.dynamicfinishes.com
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,062
Posts18,482,445
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.