Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
cptenca Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Price difference about $150 more for the new M70.

Looking at .270 for either one.

Is the M70 worth the extra $?

HR IC

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I can tell you that the CZ in an excellent rifle for the money. Accurate, rock solid, reliable. And the new wood is very nice. I have had Rugers, push feed 70s, and a fair amount of other stuff, factory and custom, and I have bought and kept 2 CZ 550s. I lent my 6.5 to a friend last week when we went out to fill doe tags. He's always shot Remingtons. Now he wants my 550.

D
DMW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
To me it seems that the numbers are off a bit...either the CZ is marked way up, or the Winchester is marked way down.

Around me, the price difference is closer to $300.

I don't have any direct experience with the new M70's, but by all accounts they are supposed to be nice.

I own a CZ550 American (.30-06), and it is a great rifle...not without its con's, but for the price (around me they go for $600+/-), it's tough to beat and the Single Set trigger is a nice feature. Even though i rarely use it, it has come in handy from time to time, especailly when shooting on paper.

DW

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I like the CZ's but for that money the M70 is a better rifle. It will be bedded, the bolt has an anti bind feature lacking on the CZ's, and you will be able to mount the scope lower. The Winchester will also have a much higher re-sale value.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The CZ 550 American is a great rifle. When I first got it, I figured I'd never use the ss trigger for hunting. WRONG. Turns out I've used it on every animal I've taken so far.

Kelly
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by TomM1
the bolt has an anti bind feature lacking on the CZ's,

Does the CZ bolt tend to be sticky?

KMS Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Originally Posted by TomM1
the bolt has an anti bind feature lacking on the CZ's,

Does the CZ bolt tend to be sticky?

Mine isn't.

Kelly
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Winchester M70 Super Grade - I only buy firearms made in the United States.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
IMO- The CZ bolt can bind when operated. You usually have to work at it to make it do it, or operate the action in an awkard angle, but can be done. I CAN'T make a M70 bolt bind if it was manufactured after the late 60's, early 70's (whenever they added the anti-bind).

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Really couldn't go wrong with either, but I would lean towards the Winchester if the price is that close. Hard to beat the Super Grade for a fancy and classy rifle both. Have only seen a couple of them ,but they have both been beautiful.

`Bring Enough Gun`
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Go American made! They are great guns!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I love my CZ, but only because Winchester never made a Super Grade 416 Rigby. As has been previously stated the CZ's are terrific rifles but the Winchester Super Grade is a class act that a CZ cannot match.

As to CZ bolts binding, they get VERY high marks in PH trials in Africa and are common to see in the hands of same. Mine is rock solid reliable or it would not be my Elephant Brown Bear and Buff rifle.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Buy the model 70. If you choose to sell it someday you will be very glad you did.
dan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In overall value money-wise, the nod goes to the M70. I have not had a chance to handle the M70's outside gunshop, but they sure seem nice. I have a BRNO 601 in .270, and the wood is very pretty, it handles fine, but darn, is that one heavy gun! It is a very heavy barrel profile at the receiver, and though it tapers, with scope and 4 rounds ammo + sling, you are at a very porky 10+ pounds. Surely the M70 is slimmer than that.

Another consideration are scope rings, especially if you have need for extended ones. the CZ rings are VERY expensive in comparison to M70 rings

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Good question! was very intrested to hear about the bolt binding on the CZ. As for my earlier posted question on Kimbers, Cooper's, and Model 70's, I am leaning toward the Model 70 and doing the "upgrades" that I would personnally favor, rather then spending money on a higher end rifle that may still need some work. Had been thinking about the CZ550, but this post has put that question to rest.
Put me in the Model 70 Camp!

Rob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a CZ550 9.3x62mm which had a bolt that had a tendency to bind. I first noticed a couple of weeks after getting it home. The place I bought it from said it was just "new" and would slick up..So I kept for another few weeks, shot it a bit and free floated the barrel. Durring that period the bolt continued to bind periodically, so the shop sent back to CZ who replaced with a new rifle, no questions asked..

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by iambrb
In overall value money-wise, the nod goes to the M70. I have not had a chance to handle the M70's outside gunshop, but they sure seem nice. I have a BRNO 601 in .270, and the wood is very pretty, it handles fine, but darn, is that one heavy gun! It is a very heavy barrel profile at the receiver, and though it tapers, with scope and 4 rounds ammo + sling, you are at a very porky 10+ pounds. Surely the M70 is slimmer than that.

Another consideration are scope rings, especially if you have need for extended ones. the CZ rings are VERY expensive in comparison to M70 rings

Even tho' minds seem to be made up, I just have to say a couple of things in response to this post. I have no interest in being inflamatory but please... In my experience the 550 is a significant improvement over the Brno ZKK rifles in a number of ways. No comparison. Neither of my 550 bolts shows any inclination to bind. I have an older 550FS in 7x57 and a newer American in 6.5. They kill deer for me every year and function flawlessly. I let a friend use the 6.5 last week. Now he wants to take it home. As for rings, I put Millett or Leupold rings (can't remember which) on the FS since I'm not crazy about the CZ factory rings. They were about $26 and have been solid. I had an old BLR 30-06 scoped. THAT was a 10 lb. rifle. My 1885 scoped is a 10 lb. rifle. The newer 550 American is less of a porker by far than either of them. I'm an old fart, I hunt in the mountains, and neither 550 is a burden.

Just got home and weighed the 550 American. A couple of ozs. over 8 1/2 lbs, ready to hunt, like 8/12. I realize a lot of a person's affinity for a particular rifle is personal taste. No argument. But let's at least be reasonably accurate and compare apples with apples.

Last edited by OldRooster; 12/15/09.
C
cptenca Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Well I went in and compared them side by side. Did not like the high gloss finish (blue)on the SG. The wood was nicer on the SG, but nothing to get real excited about. I ended up leaving with a pre 64 mod 70, circa 1954. They just don't make them like that anymore.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent choice. Congrats!

`Bring Enough Gun`
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well a pre 64 vice a CZ-550.. My bolt does not bind, it was a bit stiff when new but I polished the rails a bit and shot the rifle. No issues. Great figure in the wood. Nice set trigger and MOA accuracy out of the box. No need to bed or mess with the stock. They are a bit heavy, but well made and a proven action. Mine is a 550 in 9.3X62 Kind of a crap shoot to me, (pre 64 wins of course) later Winchesters?? The one rifle I have kept (wifes) that I can not to get to shoot well is a model 70.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 8 invisible), 1,296 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,224
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.