Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm pretty sure most of us agree the 260 Rem is a great cartridge, and I think Remington did an outstanding job of providing a practical, and usefull cartridge. I don't own one as I have two 6.5x55's CG. I am of the opinion like a previous poster said the people selling them either don't know how good they are, or just take the easiest course and sell what they THINK is the sure thing. I was in the sales business for 33 years and my experience tells me that you can have the best gadget for whatever use, and people will not but it, unless someone SELLS it. Remington gave up too early on the cartridge by not pushing it hard enough, and then stopped chambering it the the rifles it should be chambered in. The few people I know that have them absolutely love them. I'd like to see Remington or some other manufacturer really get behind the 260, it' just too good to let die. My humble opinion!

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yep, Kimber .260's don't shoot worth chit...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
And they are terrible on deer...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My wife says she'll give $500.00 to anyone who has one, just to take the worthless piece of junk off their hands...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would not mind having a Kimber Montana in 260 rem. The problem is that not so many other folks feel the same way.

What puzzles the absolute living daylights out of me is why they sell the Roberts chambered guns so well but no one wants a 260? As I looked for a .260 prior to buying a Roberts, I am not baiting Dan, SU35or any other .260 fans here its an honest question! A 120 at 3000FPS is certainly interesting regards WT deer hunting, that said a 100 at 3000 works fine from my roberts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 257 Rob is cool and has history, the 260 Rem... well... grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by santeerangerman
Yep, Kimber .260's don't shoot worth chit...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
And they are terrible on deer...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My wife says she'll give $500.00 to anyone who has one, just to take the worthless piece of junk off their hands...

That's one I wouldn't mind having back. Keep me in mind if you ever get tired of it. grin

I also wanted to add that the above gun was sent to HCR and would not meet their accuracy guarantee with factory ammo. They mentioned having problems getting 260s from Kimber (and Remington) to shoot factory ammo. Who knows...maybe the problem is ammo??? Just wanted to add that little note for what it's worth.

-Dan

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gotta' concur with the ammo comments. Best groups I ever got were with the old 120 BT's; couldn't get anything close to MOA with any of the 140 gr. Rem. factory loads out of the same rifle, and tried several different lots.

Best Regards

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Oh good lord..

I'm of firm belief that most gun stores are sadly depriving pizza parlors of delivery drivers.

On my, and to think I've done each of these... smirk

Dober

Hey Mark! Know how to get the gun store counter-jockey off your front porch?

Pay for the pizza! grin

- variation of an old banjo player joke..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If Kimber could deal with their rep for non-shooters, and took care of the guys that have one, a lot more Kimbers would be getting sold. I've heard from many that their Kimbers didn't shoot for schitt... yet to hear from somebody that Kimber really took care of them when they had an issue.

Call them and tell them you have a Montana that won't shoot better than 3" at 100 yards and see if they give a flying leap. They don't... and I ain't guessing.

Ruger took one hell of a beating for the same accuracy performance/attitude on rifles that were $249.... wink

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
But it seems that all the Kimbers are getting sold. Any stores out there have a glut of them? In any cals?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I still think the Montana is the best platform out there and even if a guy had to drop the additional cost of a new barrel/action truing he is still ahead of what's out there.

Why is it called a double u, should'nt it be called a double v?
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by MattMan
If Kimber could deal with their rep for non-shooters, and took care of the guys that have one, a lot more Kimbers would be getting sold. I've heard from many that their Kimbers didn't shoot for schitt... yet to hear from somebody that Kimber really took care of them when they had an issue.

Call them and tell them you have a Montana that won't shoot better than 3" at 100 yards and see if they give a flying leap. They don't... and I ain't guessing.

Ruger took one hell of a beating for the same accuracy performance/attitude on rifles that were $249.... wink

Sure have to agree with you about Kimber not giving a damn whether it shoots less than 3 inches.

cointoss
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
If kimber had quality control to catch big errors and a 1moa guarantee they could jump the price to $1200-1300 and still sell all they could make. I still think the montana is the best factory composite stock on the market for quality and fit for me.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am one more lucky fella,despite multiple qc issues and flaws all 3 of mine shoot well. You know it just has to be the .260 in the Kimber that has the problems...did someone already say that?? smile

260 rem is it an inherently inaccurate cartridge? confused

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 260 is dead, as far as a new, over the counter gun.

Maybe in 20-30 years, it will come back like the 257 Roberts, 264 WM and 358 Win have.

I own a 260 rifle and in an Encore pistol and love the round, but it is dead as far as the big manufacturers are concerned.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I'm pretty sure most of us agree the 260 Rem is a great cartridge, and I think Remington did an outstanding job of providing a practical, and usefull cartridge. I don't own one as I have two 6.5x55's CG. I am of the opinion like a previous poster said the people selling them either don't know how good they are, or just take the easiest course and sell what they THINK is the sure thing. I was in the sales business for 33 years and my experience tells me that you can have the best gadget for whatever use, and people will not but it, unless someone SELLS it. Remington gave up too early on the cartridge by not pushing it hard enough, and then stopped chambering it the the rifles it should be chambered in. The few people I know that have them absolutely love them. I'd like to see Remington or some other manufacturer really get behind the 260, it' just too good to let die. My humble opinion! [/quote

Almost all Remington guns are sold thru a gun distributor network with the distributors primarily stocking the Remington rifles that turn over in inventory.

Having Remington 260 rifles sitting in a wharehouse that the gun dealers don't want to stock in their stores ties up money and inventory space. When the distibutors stop ordering 260 rifles Remington stops making them. Remington builds rifles to the distributors "orders" and not to the whim of the individual gun buyers.

Doc

Last edited by Doctor_Encore; 12/17/09.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Hmm, I thought it was the whim of individual gun buyers, that drove the market. I'm saying they should have pushed it harder than they did. Perhaps even namimg it differently.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I am one more lucky fella,despite multiple qc issues and flaws all 3 of mine shoot well. You know it just has to be the .260 in the Kimber that has the problems...did someone already say that?? smile

260 rem is it an inherently inaccurate cartridge? confused

I'm personally acquainted with a Montana 7-08 that would be hard pressed to hold 3 MOA. Hard to swallow that pill when I know for a fact that a $199 stevens would shoot lights out all day... even if it is ugly as sin.

Agreed, Remington marketing has no equal when it comes to making great rounds fail... 6.5 mag, 260, 280, the list goes on. Odds are if Remington introduces it, it's gonna be a doomed darling.

And Kimber makes one hell of a nice rifle, possibly the best factory bolt rifle made in the US, with crappy QC, resulting crappy accuracy, and terribly snobby customer service to back it up. If I lay out that many bills, unless it's a shotgun, I expect more than for it to go bang, on the average.

Remington lost me long ago with crappy QC, terrible customer service, despite making a fairly decent rifle on the average....

Wouldn't be hard to earn a great rep for taking care of the turds and swapping barrels on the non-shooters.

If'n my M77 won't shoot, Ruger will swap on a new barrel, in original chamber only, for little more than one bill. Hard to beat that attitude.

Last edited by MattMan; 12/17/09.

"Your range of experience runs that gamut from A to B, plus you're a nitwit. That's a hard combination to overcome, though some people try." - JB
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There's a Montana 260 on Gunbroker right now. Somebody really ought to buy it so I don't have to cool

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=150665257

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed, Remington marketing has no equal when it comes to making great rounds fail... 6.5 mag, 260, 280, the list goes on. Odds are if Remington introduces it, it's gonna be a doomed darling.

MattMan, Agreed.....just look at the new 30 cal AR round, that was intro'd w/125gr low bc/sd bullet.....who is driving the ship?

Nope, they seem to not have a clue in what their business is about, nor care what the end customers think.

As to Ruger, I have had nothing but sub MOA out of several and all of the rifles I have bought in the past many years, a majority falling block single shots i.e. #1/No.1's that are NOT supposed to shoot better than bolts, but yet they all outshot the last several....and LAST....Rem bolts I bought FWIW.

Only had to use Ruger once or twice (reblue job on a first yr production MKII pistol) and they were first rate in how they communicated with me, the service I received, and I was very impressed, night and day vs. Big Green IME. YMMV.

Kimber....agreed, had they the confidence and QC to issue an Accuracy Guarantee, then it would make it alot easier to open my wallet.....been wanting to try one a long time........

No doubt when you have a good shooting Kimber, they make a nice hunting rifle IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Oh good lord..

I'm of firm belief that most gun stores are sadly depriving pizza parlors of delivery drivers.

On my, and to think I've done each of these... smirk

Dober

and obviously failed at both.... wink

i'm thinking that the real estate gig might be your last chance dober...
muck this job up and you'll wind up in law school!!! laugh

the .260 is an OK cartridge... fine really for about anything that a guy wants to do... if he handloads...

the .243 outsells it by orders of magnitude.... and it's likely that things won't change soon.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,365
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.