Hop To
L
LMH777 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Greetings!

I have a desire to get involved in this CAS game. I purchased two 94 saddle ring carbine's in 44 mag.. As i understand serviceable but not the best choice.

What do i need from a hand gun/rigging stand point to get in the game? don't expect to be competitive but want to learn for now. competitiveness can come later.. Suggestions from those of you who have been there and done that?

thanks

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Hi,

This my first post on the campfire. Just learned of the site a couple of days ago.

To give you some knowledge that I have some background in the game. I am a SASS Regulator and badge number 5323. Been a Territorial Governor and more.

I always recommend Ruger Vaquero's in 38/357. A older used SxS shotgun that is slick from use and has smooth chambers so the hulls slip out after firing. The best reasonable rifle is a Marlin in 38/357. Big 5 runs a special often on this rifle if you have a store nearby.

As for holsters I would buy any less expensive two strong side (no crossdraw) holster and belt. The holsters that will hold their shape for re-holstering. The only other non-clothing item you will need is something to hold shotgun shells, a belt or slide. A shotgun belt is the best idea. It needs to let you easily remove shotgun shells.

There are lots of people including me who use highly modified Winchester 73's for rifles If you want to spend over double the price of a Marlin to get started you can do that also.

Here is a great source for hardware if you want to go this route. Both these guys are friends of mine and well respected not just by me.

http://www.pioneergunworks.com/

http://www.longhunt.com/

I would strongly you go to some matches as a spectator. Ask lots of questions. Best Wishes to you, It is a fun game.

L
LMH777 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
thanks very much i located an active club just south of me and plan to attend the next match

appreciate the advice

LH

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LMH, I'm not a competitor, so take this with a grain of salt. I've been around a lot of cowboy action shooters, talked to quite a few, read about it a lot and shoot the same guns. I am basically into the old west guns but for a number of reasons (probably the foremost being I am anti-social :), I'm not active in the game).

It all depends on what your aim is. Are you interested in the gaming aspect of it or are you more interested in history and costuming. A few years back I know it was common to give prizes for the best attire...most original, etc. Also sometimes the prizes were drawn rather than awarded to the top people. The gaming aspect has definitely evolved but I know that many shoots, especially local ones, still stress safety, etc. No fast draws. All these things obviously will impact what your equipment is.

You also have several categories. Competitors please correct me, but basically you usually have Modern, historically-correct and black powder. The moderns can be about any SA, with Blackhawks dominating. The historically accurate category (and I disremember the exact terms so mine are kinda made up), allows SA's that look like the old guns or the old ones themselves. They don't have to be exact, but they pretty much appear that way. No Blackhawks, but Vaqueros or New ones are fine. No double-actions, even if they are really antiques that were used back then. In the last category, you have cap and ball guns. You may have load restrictions so you are not blowing the crap out of the targets too, so be advised of that.

Your '94 should be fine. If it's not, you'll know. lol I agree with the Vaquero. The .357/.38 is not a traditional cartridge but is widely touted due to its lower recoil and ability to acquire targets quickly. The 32-20 does the same thing and is authentic, but is harder to come by both in guns and ammo. Either can be had in both handgun and long gun in order to simplify loads. If you want to use the .44 Mag. you could use a 50th Anniversary Blackhawk. I don't know if the more common Super Blackhawk is allowed. The Super Buckhorn by EMF used to be seen once in awhile. I don't know if it is still available new.

Anyway, this gets involved quickly.

You'll need a scattergun too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Since you already have the Winchesters, I'd look for 2 of the original Vaqueros in .44 Mag. If the Winchesters will shoot .44 Specials ok then I'd shoot Specials in both. If they won't then I'd light load .44 Magnums to shoot in both. The correct bullet nose will help ensure your Winchesters feed.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugemag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,575
Posts18,492,022
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.