Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Explosive fillers are pretty stable and extremely insensitive to shock. Note that impact of dropping merely crunched the casing. If for some reason the fuze wasn't fully seated, there isn't all that much danger

Awesome news, ET ... Knowing that who could hesitate playing with lost old 1000 lbs bombs and feel very confident next time grin

It is beyond imagination how much explosive were found and are still hidden since WWI and WWII.

In my home town, in the years 80, they found dozen of tons live ammunition in a river ... All released from a whole german ammunition train attacked by the resistance.

Same place, a farmer friend of my father found in the years 90 a live american grenade as he was working in a field ... two days laters, working with a shovel in his gardenet along his house's wall he found a WWI unexploded shell.

And many accidents occurend in lumber mills with schrapnels and aircraft ammo embedded in lumber.

You explanation probably demonstrates why we don't have so much deadly accidents.

Va t'in tch�re !
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Notropis
My major professor in graduate school used picric acid in a solution that made the exoskeletons of insects transparent. There was a glass jar of the stuff on the shelf right over where I did my research for about 5 years. I never messed with it but was told it was no problem as long as it stayed wet. Evil ju-ju is an understatement from all the reports I heard about it.

Yep, you're okay until the picric acid dries and crystallizes. But when it does...

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow.
Glad to hear nobody was injured.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My friend had a bottle of picric acid in his basement when he moved into his Grandfather's farm house. He called Clean Harbors hazardous waste disposal and they told him it would be thousands of dollars to remove. He was strongly advised not to touch it, but he carried it out into the pasture and poured it out on the ground. I haven't heard that term in many years. I always assumed it was similar to nitroglycerin. I have a friend that owns a blasting company and I helped him move one day. He was using old dynamite boxes for his stuff. Every time I saw one with stains, I thought NITROGLYCERIN! He just used them like any other boxes.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by grand_veneur
Yesterday was the 65th anniversary day of the battle of the bulge's launch.

Meanwhile, in the afternoon, workers of the intercity water department, building a water treatment station along the river Meuse in Namur, discovered a live 1000 lbs WWII american bomb next to a railroad bridge as they were digging the ground, just 500 yards away from the office.

Fortunately we have skilled and experienced bomb disabling services.

They transported the bomb in a nearby stone pit and blowed it around 16.30 PM. Traffic was closed on a huge part of the city, railroads and a large speedway section and bridge.

I bet the workers have been lucky ... as well as every one around the spot ... Such a bomb is probably quite devastative.

Sounds like it would've been a great day to call off work! eek

Glad everything turned out okay

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
As a bomb or mine filler, it reacts with a cast iron casing when it has been wet to form a supersensitive explosive salt where the body meets the explosive. Don't sneeze!!!!
Picric acid is used in metalluric microscopy as a component of the etchant "picral". Chemically, picric acid (TNP) is a tri-nitrate similar to TNT, differing only in substituting a hydroxyl(OH) group for a methyl(CH3) group on the phenyl group.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember reading a number of years ago about an elderly Russian woman who had claimed for years to have a bomb under her bed. When someone finally checked, there was a German bomb imbedded in the flooring. Apparently it was a dud that had penetrated to that point.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
I work on an installation where chemical weapons were produced between WWI and WWII. They are still finding old chemical ordinance around here.

My dad's neighbor was a construction contractor who did work on base here. I can remember when one of his crews dug up a bunch of old mortar rounds that were found to contain mustard gas. It happened just down the road from the building I was working in at the time.

I know the responses to this will come, but ....

During WW1, Northwest Washington, DC (Spring Valley section, near American Uiversity) was used to test Mustard Gas, explosives and other munitions. The area is now one of multi-million dollar homes and bombs and gas canisters are regularly dug up. The area is evacuated for a day or so for removal and further exploration. Here are two references:
http://www.globalgreen.org/press/116
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/springvalley/index.html

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick

When I was studying chemistry I had a lab class in one of the older lab rooms. During an inspection they found a beaker with a very large chunk of picric acid under one of the fume hoods. Its scary stuff...very shock and temperature sensitive.

Be thankful it wasn't dry ammonium nitrogen tri-iodide.

I'm Libertarian for these 3 reasons:

1.) I'm American
2.) I'm not insane enough to be Democrat
3.) I'm not wussy enough to be Republican

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Ten years or so ago I read about a French farmer who was out working on his place and sat down to eat his lunch on the stump of an old tree he had just cut down. After awhile his ass started burning really badly and upon taking off his pants and looking, there was a badly blistered ring going all the way around his ass corresponding to one of the tree rings in the stump.

It seems that the tree had been present in the area during WW I. There was a mustard gas attack in the area and the tree had soaked it up. When he cut the tree down it exposed the mustard gas hidden in the tree ring.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back in the early '80s I worked as a technician in a lab here on base. A young lady who worked in the lab would go off at lunch and swim in a flooded rock quarry here on base. One of the older ladies warned her that there were a lot of unmarked chemical dump sites on the base, and that the quarry could be one of them. The girl just laughed and ignored the warning.

Just recently there was a news story about the removal of a large number of unidentified metal drums from the bottom of the quarry.

=====================
Boots were made for walking
Winds were blowing change
Boys fall in the jungle
As I Came of Age

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I remember reading a number of years ago about an elderly Russian woman who had claimed for years to have a bomb under her bed. When someone finally checked, there was a German bomb imbedded in the flooring. Apparently it was a dud that had penetrated to that point.

I know several guys pretending they use to have bombs IN their beds laugh

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plinker said:
If it was on target, it must have been dropped by the American 100th. Good shooting, boy.

My cousin Gene Greenwood was in the "Bloody 100th" from January 1945 to the end of the war. He flew some "chow hound" missions to some of the citys in Europe after the war. He stayed in the Air Force for 32 years. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
While deployed last year, they discovered that we had been driving over a 2000 pound bomb. Wasn't nothing but a speed bump to us. shocked EOD removed it and did their thing with it.

On a lighter note, I used to arrange incentive rides for high performance airmen. Had a young lady out there in the back seat of a Humvee one day, "on patrol". She was mainly supposed to be an observer, and just digging the opportunity to get to do something different after a pretty good performance at work. Sure enough, this sharp young troop alerted the guys to "something strange over there". Yep, it was an unexploded mortar round that the winds had uncovered in the sand. EOD responded, secured it, and set it up for detonation in place. They were cool enough to let her push the button igniting the charge. That girl was on cloud nine for a freaking week after that! laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep 65+ years for the Battle of the Bulge. No harm done, nobody gotten hurt, just a reminder of what was going on in Europe a life time ago. So much stuff was Dropped shot or placed, they will be finding stuff in Western Europe and in Western Russia for decades to come. Its the same on the Pacific Islands as well. Now they can drop a bomb and hit the target they want with one airplane and one bomb, back then you send a 1000 airplanes to a target with the hopes you would hit it and well a lot of stuff landed on things they didn't want to hit. The good thing is that Europe has not seen armed conflict with exception of the Former Yugoslavia since. Maybe the lesson was learned.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yesterday was the 65th anniversary day of the battle of the bulge's launch.

Meanwhile, in the afternoon, workers of the intercity water department, building a water treatment station along the river Meuse in Namur, discovered a live 1000 lbs WWII american bomb next to a railroad bridge as they were digging the ground, just 500 yards away from the office.

Fortunately we have skilled and experienced bomb disabling services.

They transported the bomb in a nearby stone pit and blowed it around 16.30 PM. Traffic was closed on a huge part of the city, railroads and a large speedway section and bridge.

I bet the workers have been lucky ... as well as every one around the spot ... Such a bomb is probably quite devastative.

Wow, what is the life expectancy of a backhoe operator in Belgium?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just learned a new word, thanks ...

I'd said probably less than a bomb squad operator grin

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just learned a new word, thanks ...

I'd said probably less than a bomb squad operator grin

So what do they call a backhoe in Belgium..a digger?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Un tractopelle ou une pelle m�canique grin

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, what is the life expectancy of a backhoe operator in Belgium?

I would presume, a much longer life expectancy, now that the war is over cool

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (22kHornet, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 222ND, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 65 invisible), 2,590 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,474
Posts18,529,486
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.