-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Has anyone used this pack and if so what you think of it? Want to upgrade the cheap pack I have now. This will be used as a day pack so a lot of space isn't needed.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I ordered one two weeks ago. Enough space for a day pack and well built, but didn't use because the straps are very thick and at least on me are in the exact position I mount my rifle. Someone with broader shoulders may not have this problem. If you are just walking to and staying on a stand may not be an issue. I mainly move around so it is. Don't know why they have such thick straps for a pack that will not carry much weight. Definitely over built with regard to straps.

Am going to send it back and exchange for something else.

Last edited by battue; 12/16/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
My thoughts on the pack are enclosed in the link below....though battue is on to something with the straps being a bit on the large side for what the pack will hold. Still, I love mine and ability to cross sling my rifle while hiking is paramount to me. A "normal" backpack generally prevents this, but the Ascent allows for it.

My overall opinion hasn't changed from when I wrote this article, and that was before this years' hunts.

http://elk101.com/2009/08/lose-the-boat-anchor-you-call-a-day-pack/

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
dwc5050

I wish I could have liked the pack and would have except for the thick straps. My hunts here in Pa. certainly are not the equivalent of yours in difficulty when elk hunting. The situation I have is that I often have to shoot quickly with the pack on and those thick straps-close to 1.5in?-are right where I mount the rifle. Cross sling with the rifle is not an option. Perhaps I could get used to it, but combined with some heavy clothes it in essence increases my lop by more than 2in and screws with my ability to have a smooth unencumbered mount.

My true backpacking experience is short compared to many here, I definitely have much to learn, but for my type of local hunting it just didn't seem like I would be going in the right direction.

Last edited by battue; 12/16/09.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
battue,

I hear you. Were I in your shoes (hunting whities in PA) I'd do the same. My rifle is usually in my hands or cross slung so I don't have to worry about it too much. O

n the few occasions I just hang it on my shoulder though, I have to admit that I run into the same problem as you did. Wide shoulders don't really eliminate the problem either, as I'm a 50 in terms of jacket size and I still ahd the same issue as you.

If you haven't already, you might take a look at the Badlands "Monster" as a suitable alternative. It has shoulder straps, but they are MUCH less bulky.

How is that Leupold GR spotter treating you?

Last edited by dwc5050; 12/16/09.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
As far as the spotter, I could not be more satisfied. Does all I need, a little bulky for when you pack it, but nothing I can't live with. Off the bench I've compared it with the higher end ones that some use and for the additional dollars I can't see enough increase to matter. Others who have looked thru it seem to be impressed. For the price hard to beat. Of course I have a Leupold bias. smile

D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
Great pack. Plenty of room for a day hunt, low profile doesn't get caught on branches when you are ducking through the brush, outside straps are great for lashing stuff on like jacket , etc
I had a flash 20 and grabbed my ascent pack every time instead.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If shouldering your rifle is the problem, might I suggest the Kifaru Universal Gunbearer. Worth it's weight in gold when carring a rifle.

How a man acts when he wins reveals part of his character, how he acts when he loses reveals the rest.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought one this fall and used it while elk and mule deer hunting. Probably one of the best things I spent money on this year, second only to my Kenetrek gaiters.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,800
Posts18,477,464
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.