Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RAC

That is an EXCELLENT video! EVERYONE should watch it!

-Bob F.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would third that advice. Very clear compelling case supporting all the advice most of the guys here have been giving.

In the land of the blind, the one eye is king.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would third that advice. Very clear compelling case supporting all the advice most of the guys here have been giving.

In the land of the blind, the one eye is king.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If you ever hear from the Feds about ANYTHING, the first thing you need to do is to shutup, hangup and call a lawyer. The LAST thing you want to do is to go online and post a bunch of information your lawyer will probably tell you to keep to yourself. There are a lot of innocent but stupid people in prison.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I personally wouldn't get a lawyer until I knew what was going on, if at anypoint they intend to place you as a supspect as opposed to being a witness then they must, at that time, give you a Miranda warning, and that is when you will need an attorney, if they do not Merandenize immediately then they have no case.

Lots of jailhouse lawyers on the internet that will give you improper advise go off half cocked and cost you a ton of money. A little cooperation with Law enforcement officials will go a long ways..If you didn't do anything with intent, then you have nothing to fear. If you "knowingly" did do something wrong then you need a lawyers right now..simple as that.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by atkinson
If you didn't do anything with intent, then you have nothing to fear.

Ray, you should get a real attorney to explain the Lacey Act to you.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
OMG, that video is staggering.
I was unaware of the Lacey Act, but now...Can you say "Photo Trophy"? Intent has NOTHING to do with the Lacey Act. It's clear to me, a lay man. Nada, zero, zilch. You can be sitting in the cell with your husband, Bubba, saying "But I didn't mean to do anything illegal" and the night still comes. You only have to say,"I'd rather not speak to you until I have an attorney present". Once that is stated, keep stating it and otherwise SHUT UP! You can't arrive at any other conclusion if you watched the video. It's a shame I have reached the point where I fear the LE community like this, but I do.

Vagabond
NRA Benefactor Member

"I spent most of my money on guns and hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ray,

I STRONGLY urge you to watch the video that was posted. The CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYER giving the talk even makes reference to the Lacey Act in one example he gives.

"If you didn't do anything with intent, then you have nothing to fear."

That's know longer true in today's world.

-Bob F.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The "intent" component is largely excluded in most firearms laws as well. IF a gun malfunctions and fires more than one shot with a single pull of the trigger, it a technical violation of the FFA of 35. Big case about that recently.

Last edited by Vagabond; 12/19/09. Reason: Spelling

Vagabond
NRA Benefactor Member

"I spent most of my money on guns and hunting and shooting...the rest I just wasted!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't talk to any prosecutor or law enforcement officer on any matter in which you have been involved, ever, without an attorney. There are a lot of people who have acted in the manner contrary to what I just described who have been prosecuted successfully. A lot of those people were prosecuted because they "tried to help/cooperate" because they felt they did nothing wrong; or, if they did something wrong it was without intent or knowledge. I'm sorry folks that doesn't fly.

You'll pay thousands of dollars for auto insurance every year and hope you don't need it. Guess what? As expensive as lawyers can be, it's very cheap insurance for a conversation with law enforcement. And there's more at risk than auto damage. Most good law enforcement officers will understand. Most sh^t ball law enforcement officers will have no choice but to behave themselves when your lawyer is there with you.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 12/20/09.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NEVER talk to law enforcement - NEVER - I am one, I know.

Sorry Ray, you have always been right on before, but it has gotten worse and worse as liberty fades into distant memory.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O - and putting info here on the forum was a mistake. If you can have this thread removed I would do so, not that the info couldn't still be found, but it might not be.

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like I said, Big Brother is watching!

I knew the Lacey Act was scary and wide ranging but that video REALLY does underline just how careful one needs to be huh!

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
If you can also get hold a this months "hunting Mag" Boddington has a article about the "lacey act" and thank god i don't have anything like that to deal with over here!.

And here`s me thinking that you are innocent until proven guilty.

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dave, any chance you can either post a copy of the article here or email a scan of it to me at shakari3mweb.co.za please?

Have you swept the visioned valley with the green stream streaking though it?
Searched the vastness for a something you have lost?
Have you strung your soul to silence? Then for God's sake go and do it
Hear the challenge, learn the lesson, pay the cost
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If your attorney informs you that you are free to talk about the circumstances, please let us know what happened.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You have the right to remain silent.......do so. You are under no obligation to meet with them unless they subpeona you.

Anything you say can (and will) be used against you.

B
B
I personally wouldn't get a lawyer until I knew what was going on, if at anypoint they intend to place you as a supspect as opposed to being a witness then they must, at that time, give you a Miranda warning, and that is when you will need an attorney, if they do not Merandenize immediately then they have no case.

Lots of jailhouse lawyers on the internet that will give you improper advise go off half cocked and cost you a ton of money. A little cooperation with Law enforcement officials will go a long ways..If you didn't do anything with intent, then you have nothing to fear. If you "knowingly" did do something wrong then you need a lawyers right now..simple as that.

As I understand the law, there is no requirement to Mirandize outside of a custodial interview. If you voluntarily talk with the feds and a reasonable person would believe himself free to leave the interview, there is no requirement you be advised your rights. I'm a big fan the "of course I'll be happy to cooperate with the USFS as soon as I've spoken with my attorney."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Ray,

As one who has guided in Alaska, you of all people should be aware that the first page in their general regs had the line prominently posted on the first page for quite a number of years which went something like this: "Ignorance is no excuse, you must know the law". In other words, intent does not get you off the hook even in Alaska, USA. I'm sure you're aware, they'll hang guides quicker and higher.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by ForrestB

Ray, you should get a real attorney to explain the Lacey Act to you.

I gotta agree with that train of thought...ignorance of the law is no excuse.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

123 members (AlanF, 300_savage, 35, AceBall, Amos63, 10 invisible), 1,444 guests, and 925 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,329
Posts18,505,914
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.