Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Hadn't had any kind of muzzleloader for at least 4 yrs. I decided that since the farmers in my area weren't going to get the corn out before regular firearms season, that maybe our late ML season would be hot. Didn't want to put too much in a ML, so I did a lot of research, and decided that the CVA Wolf, looked like the ticket. I used to have an old CVA Big Bore Mtn. rifle, that I hunted deer with in the late 70's and 80's, so was kinda partial to CVA.

I just bought it last week, and today was the 1st decent day we've had in 3 or 4. Headed out to the sand pit, and with the wind being pretty brisk, I decided to just set up at 25 yds., to see if it was on paper. I elected to just shoot the fiber optic sights this year, rather than scope it. No small feat, considering I'm 58+yo. and wear bifocals.

The load I decided to try first was 80 gr. of loose 777 3f, and a 295 gr. PB aero tip. 1st shot out of the gun was dead center! grin. The next was an inch high, but I blamed it on me not keeping the same sight pic. Fired 2 more, and they touched the first dead center shot! I decided to quit because of the wind, but I'll get it out for a 50 yd. session, next week, mostly for me to get the sight picture down, cause I ain't used open sights in yrs. I think she's a keeper. She's ready for deer season now, with a few more shots. I'll play with it next spring/summer, maybe evenscope it, but for now I'm impressed with that little gun.

maddog

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Like you, I have done a lot of research online and didn't want to spent a lot of money...so I ordered my Wolf from Cabelas today...$159 with free shipping...I'm going to try Blackhorn 209 powder as I read good things about it....now if I can find CCI 209M primers, I'll be almost set....I still need to do more reading especially about which bullets for deer...I'm 62 am will definitely put a scope on it....good luck to you...

Illegitimi non carborundum

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've read lots of good things about the Wolf for being a "budget" muzzleloader with great results

Last edited by CraigCollier; 10/25/09.

Craig R. Collier
~Grizzly Custom Knives~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My nephew bought a Wolf a couple of months ago (satin nickle/synthetic .50 CAL for $159.00 mail order). It was his first muzzleloader so I helped him get set up and zeroed. His new Wolf shoots just as good as my old Encore; knowing what I know now I would buy a Wolf too and save myself a lot of money.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
CVA sells a good gun for good prices, has been my experience.

Killed a elk with a CVA 50 cal Bobcat from Wally's, that was $58 and change out the door. Three years ago I think it was.
Muzzle loaders don't have to cost a arm and a leg to work fine for game.

Had had a T/C in 50 several years ago, and still had all the accessories. Buddy calls me up says "Wally's has these gun's cheap, I bought one it shoots good". Says " let's go black powder elk hunting, tags are available".

Doubt I would have ever bought one without that call, but it all worked out great.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the 6 of us that hunt together have all owned CVA ML'S and they all shot great.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I got a Wolf this year, too. Using BH 209 and CCI 209's and PB 245gr. Took a big mature doe Oct. 19. I was impressed with the accuracy, using 100 gr load, I got <2" groups at 100 yards first time out. My SIL popped a big 10 point at 150 yards with his Wolf.
BTW-I'm 64, and use a 3-9X40 scope. (damned eyesight)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After I shot the Wolf I sold my Knight disc extreme. This ML shoots great and is very light .

J
J
I have a CVA Optima pro. Had it for a few years. It shoots well. After I read on the internet that they are made out of inferior metal I am a little nervous to shoot it. It has not been recalled or anything. Don't know what to believe.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
john thats randy wakeman stuff! Pay no mind to it. Hes referring to the 1995-1996 cva inlines that have a current recall on them. The optima pro is a fine rifle! They are now even outfitting them with the new bergara barrel which is made from the same stock that they use on their centerfire rifles. You're gun is perfectly safe.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got my wolf for $139 a fews years back,have taken a few deer with it.Only thing I dont like is the atrocious trigger pull.Must be close to 10 lbs.!

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
call cva and they will have you send it in for trigger adjustment, free of charge.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JustOneGunner bought a CVA Buckhorn last year for $80.00 at Wally World, and it shoots as good as guns which cost hundreds more. 'Likes those Powerbelts just fine. The first thing we did was tear the gun down to find it's weak points. There didn't seem to be many. The mainspring looks like it may be vulnerable, so we picked up a spare. The gun is just an inexpensive, simple good gun.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just out of curiousity,which wally world did you buy it?all of them over this way stopped carrying guns pretty much altogether.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brooklyn Park, and it was within weeks of them pulling all their guns.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fluffy-if you don't mind the drive, Cambridge still carries guns, and I would think Fairbault and Mankato might too-but I'd call before running down there.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, our ML season, here in Indiana, opened this last Sat. Full moon, and long story short, the deer haven't been moving. I waited until yesterday evening to go out for a short sit, just to see if anything was out prior to a snow/cold front moving in.

I have to drive down a lane next to a ditch, to get to my hunting spot. Halfway there, I see a pair of does down in the ditch. Fortunately they didn't see megrin. Parked the truck, and sneaked down the ditch. Got within 50 yds., and peared over the bank. The big doe was still looking back to where she saw my truck. I lined up the fiber optic sights, on the big doe and touched er off. She didn't even get up! She just rolled over and stretched out in her bed. Upon examination after field dressing her, the 295 gr. powerbelt, was a complete passthrough! I'm really impressed with the wolf. The load was 80 gr. of 3F/T7. The ole girl is gonna make a lot of deer jerky this wintergrin. I still have a buck tag left, so will be out a few times to see if one of the big bucks is still around. 2 thumbs up to the CVA Wolf! Here's a coupla pics.

[Linked Image]

doe with the wolf.

[Linked Image]

doe hanging in the garage.

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 12/07/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Fluffy-if you don't mind the drive, Cambridge still carries guns, and I would think Fairbault and Mankato might too-but I'd call before running down there.

My nephew just asked me to get rid of his cva this last weekend.Traded him a baitcasting rod and reel for it.

Taken 2 this season with my CVA Wolf. Button buck and a little 3-ptr. Both shots around 80 yds, 100gr 777 pellets, 250gr Hornady 45cal sabot. Neither deer moved afterwards. And what surprised me was the fact that 3/4 of the 1st one's heart was completely obliterated. I'm sold!

M
maddog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
thought enough of the wolf, i bought my son one for Christmas. It'll be his 1st ML.

maddog

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 16 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,963
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.