Hop To
#3597746 12/22/09
J
JRC280 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Has anybody tried the Hornady Flex-Tip bullets in their whelens? Thought this might work well on deer,hogs, and black bear.

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought about it, but figured since they were really designed for the 35 remington they would be to soft. Not sure if my assumption was correct.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
200 or 225 TSX is deadly in the Whelen with 56 gr 4064.
Here are 3 225s recovered from quartering or end on shots, all 200 plus yards, Mulie, Moose & Elk. All one shot kills.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And the virtue of the TSX has what to do with the question about Hornady Flex-Tip (lever action) bullets? It's not like you're going to use them in a lever action...at least not one with a tubular magazine. Conversely, I frankly doubt there's any virtue to using the lever-rifle bullet in a .35 Whelen boltgun...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
OH but what damage they would do to a coyote or any varment.I shot a coyote with my 35 whelen with a 180gr pistol bullet at 200yards.It poofed him.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
TSX's will generally do significant damage on everything. That's not the point...the point is the original poster asked about a completely different bullet -- in the "Reloading" section, not the "Talk the Chit" section. There was utterly no reason to bring up the TSX or show pictures, because it utterly has nothing to do with the original question. He likely knows that TSX's work -- most of us do, nowadays -- but that's not what he asked.

Dennis

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

J
JRC280 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I to felt like the Flex Tip might be too soft but wanted to see if anybody had tried them. Went to the gun shop today and bought some 225 Accubonds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mulie, if your gonna shoot big game with a 35 W, using a 35 Remington bullet is not the way to go. Last time I looked, nobody had put you in charge of whom could post what or deciding what is "inappropriate". What is inappropriate is to wound some fine big game animal by using an "inappropriate" bullet.
You from Milne?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Little pissy because not everyone agrees with you? Kinda immature, don't you think?

Dude -- let me be clear here. I get to say whatever makes sense to me, as does everyone else. I really couldn't care less if anyone agrees with me or doesn't agree with me. That's hardly the point. And of course I'm not "in charge" of anything here -- and neither are you, or anyone else. Anyone who reads this material and adopts poor information from someone like you and screws their hunting up doesn't even get to blame you -- because this isn't a credible source of professional information! It's a forum...of opinions...so don't get yourself all jacked up.

And as the account notes, I'm from Alaska, where most of us actually do things in the wilds... And oh by the way, as you didn't notice, I did recommend against using the lever-action bullet in his .35 Whelen.

Chill out...

Dennis

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have tried every bullet from 180 Speer up to 250 Hornady RN.
Every bullet has whistled right through whitetail deer and they have never made it very far after getting hit! I doubt you will have issues with anything you can find for sale.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
As under represented as the opinion seems to be these days, you don't need steel-core armor-piercing munitions to kill a deer.

Like Whelenman said, you won't have any problem on deer w/ that bullet, in spite of the fact it was built for a less powerful cartridge.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My favorite deer bullet in my Whelen is the 200 gr. round nosed corelokt made for the 35 Remington. I push it just under 2500 fps and it works perfectly. Always exits and damage is just right.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (BallisticBRYAN, Alan_Robertson, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 4 invisible), 1,411 guests, and 711 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,635
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.