Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The Marlin Lever action will handle some heavy loads, but the Ruger # 1 is even stronger. Mine would shoot a Lyman 555 gr flatnose cast from pure linotype as fast as any sane person would want. I never did hunt anything dangerous with it but I was also testing the Barnes 400 gr. semi-spitzer with the .049" jacket. The Ken Waters PET LOADS lists a charge of 55 grs IMR 3031 and a 400 gr bullet at 2,053 fps.!
I'm sure Buffalo have been killed with a lot less! Or not? wink
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Yup..A 525 grain .460 diameter cast bullet at 1820 fps out of only a 22" barrel and under 40,000 PSI(Pressure tested at White Labs) is a marginal Deer caliber. grin

Dang..I guess Ray has seen tougher Deer here in Idaho than I have in the last 61 years.

Jayco grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I will admit here again that I ate crow regarding the 45/70 or the 45/110's abilities to kill all matter of game. With hard cast bullets they do penetrate and kill and those flat noses penetrate and kill. I would have no qualms in taking a 110 to Africa for buffalo, in fact I plan to do so. I know that they've been used to kill elephant as well, but having said all that, I have no doubt in my mind that speed kills and with a properly constructed bullet a 460 Weatherby (as an example)with softs will kill much better and with a solid outpenetrate any of the old charcoal burners any day. jorge

Jorge,
If I ever do get a chance to hunt buffalo(I never have yet) I do think I would be more comfortable with my 416 Rigby and 400gr Aframes or solids, depending upon what the PH recommended-I just thought this was an interesting thread and I do remember being a bit surprised by Pearce's results with that 45-70 load.
Just some thoughts from the 'cheap seats!'
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
If memeory serves me Brian Pierce used a 405 grain "Cor-Bon" aka SAAMI compliant(28,000 for the 45-70) load.It does say something about velocity and penetration,though.His load was something like 1600 fps with a 405 grain.

I have it somewhere as it was impressive,the penetration.

Jayco

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jayco,
Thank you.
I have that article buried someplace, I think I will go look for it over the holidays.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
I will admit here again that I ate crow regarding the 45/70 or the 45/110's abilities to kill all matter of game. With hard cast bullets they do penetrate and kill and those flat noses penetrate and kill. I would have no qualms in taking a 110 to Africa for buffalo, in fact I plan to do so. I know that they've been used to kill elephant as well, but having said all that, I have no doubt in my mind that speed kills and with a properly constructed bullet a 460 Weatherby (as an example)with softs will kill much better and with a solid outpenetrate any of the old charcoal burners any day. jorge

While I have no experience with it I'm not sure the 460 B uses all that velocity to good effect, does it? Probably partly due to the fact humans have to handle and shoot it, the "African" cartridges have historically gone in the 2100-2400 fps range because that has been found to work.

John Taffin mentions the Linebaugh test in which a hard cast 45-70 525-gr or so at 1550 fps out penetrated a 500 NE incl a 458 Win solid. What the 460 B would do with a solid I don't know but vel can be the enemy of penetration. In medicine we have a saying that, "better can be the enemy of good."

I have no dog in this little argument so carry on and have a very good Christmas all.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Not bad for a marginal Deer cartridge.

[Linked Image]

Jayco

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
logcutter:

Actually, it was a 400gr FN, FMJ at 1800 fps (approximate). Yeah, on the box it said 1600+, but from his 1972 vintage Marlin (22"), it gave about 1800 fps, according to the article. Still within 28,000 cup/psi.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yep, you're right, it was a 405gr. I too have kept that article for reference.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That picture is from Brians article on the 45-70 and some pressures he wrote on what he thinks is possible..

[Linked Image]

Jayco

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
CZ:

My cast load in the 45-70 is a 425 grain at 1834 fps in my Guide Gun under 35,000 PSI(Pressure Checked)with my components.

I am not here to say the 45-70 is equal to the 458 Win Mag or it should be the choice for Africa,just saying people like Ray Atkinson, who I normally pay attention to,have such a hard on for the 45-70 there completely irresponsible and "un professional" in there replies to it.

Just saying...

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
LogCutter.....I do love my lever guns and that 1895 Marlin 45/70 but when you been around this planet for as long as Father Time Atkinson, you do gain knowledge that others can not see, "the forest for the trees" simply put.

Now these kids dreams (cowboy enhanced perhaps) of what the 45/70 is and what it was meant to do and what you might get away with once or twice, is by no means the absolute in the day to day use of a "dangerous game rifle" understand.
It is the same Bull Crap that has gone on with the .270 Winchester can be used to take anything on the planet attitude by those who are infatuated with the caliber etc.

I am far from being an expert on the hunting of dangerous game animals but I can tell you that even with those proper caliber rifles, there are hunters killed every friggin year with the right equiptment. So now factor in a caliber that is NOT a dangerous game rifle and see how long you would carry on in the wild of the Dark Continent hunting Buff, Elephant, Lion & Hippo my dear sir.

Mr. Atkinson has conveyed his thoughts on the 45/70 caliber and sometimes it is like hitting your head against the wall because some people will "never" understand, why you don't walk off the end of the pier until you take that last step and your arse hits the water below.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Logcutter, and CZ,
Read Brians article carefully, do you know how far that bull went before he died? That milage and time element is the most dangerous time in a DG hunters life. that bull made a lot of tracks with a lot of hits....You may think you can rewrite the rules on what it takes to kill a Cape Buffalo but thats just folley, that rule was established years ago, and the 45-70 was not there, it does not have the velocity or energy figure to do so properly..A 22 Hornet can kill a buff, and has, but its not a buff gun.

I don't have a "hard on" for the 45-70, I have an opinnion based on the number of failures I have seen with it and based on using it on elk, that is where we get our opinnions.

Sir, Your not required to accept my opinnion, but you should not deny me the right to express it, nor call me unprofessional, I am professional, and would bet my dollars to coffee and donuts that I have shot a hell of a lot more dangerous game than you...

Inasmuch as you live in Idaho, if you ever get down this way I would be glad to enlighten you on some 45-70 elk kills I have on film and with a Ruger No.1 and some fairly warm loads. Be glad to show them to you.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Ray, your argument doesn't hold water. Haven't you seen the video of the Cape that was shot numerous times with a 500 and it kept going. What is your excuse for that instance?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
"Now these kids dreams (cowboy enhanced perhaps) of what the 45/70 is and what it was meant to do and what you might get away with once or twice, is by no means the absolute in the day to day use of a "dangerous game rifle" understand.
It is the same Bull Crap that has gone on with the .270 Winchester can be used to take anything on the planet attitude by those who are infatuated with the caliber etc."

Last fall I watched a couple of guys shoot a pronghorn fawn four times with .270's. The fawn was still going and dragging its entrails, when my buddy shot it in the head with a .257Bob - killed it! Not saying that a .270 isn't adequate for fawn antelope - but from emperical evidence it is definitely inferior to the 'Bob.... whistle

Have a Merry Christmas!

Johnny $

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Yup, .270s can't kill anything bigger than jackrabbits. Certainly not an antelope. Anyone knows that.

.45-70 are really just the same as a .270 without the range - a 50 yd rabbit rifle where the .270 is a 100 yds rabbit gun.

Meanwhile, Ray's fabled .25-35 will kill elk to 3000 yds - off hand from horseback of course (without the helmet smile ).

This place is so much fun smile

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the old phrase sometimes applied to various things which goes something like: "What you can't do with said combo (rifle, cartridge, bullet) says more about the user than the tools." That most certainly applies to the 45-70 and elk. It doesn't mean the old 45 is equal to being ideal for the big African bruisers. Then again, a questionably credible post using an accidental flesh wound to infer anything about a rifle, cartridge, or bullet and its use on African game is what?

Like the 30-06 in North America, the 45-70 in capable hands is plenty of gun -within its range- for most stuff that lives and breathes on this planet. A 416 anything in the wrong hands will no doubt be a dismal failure too often even on whitetails however.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I would use the stiff 45-70 on any game that naturally runs away from you and then be very careful of placement, like we are always supposed to do anyway. I would not though choose to use it on big game that might to choose to run at and through you though it obviously can be done.

[Linked Image]

The two bullest on the left are 405-gr Laser Cast, the second hit a 450 lb cow elk a little high tight behind the should as she was quartering strongly toward me. It took out the aorta, smashed many veterbral bodies, broke her opposite hip and was found in the ham opposite of the side of entry. It traversed some 45" of tissue and no doubt would have exited had it not toured through so much bone which no doubt also deformed it.

The cow was "slammed" to the ground, feebly got up, went 25 yds., laid down and I finished an already finished animal. I have no compunctions on using this load on a big bull provided the range is reasonable and I can put that thumb-sized slug through the pumps or bellows.

Having said that, I would be loathe to generally go against either JJH or Ray's advice because of their experience which exceeds mine.

edited to add that in regard to my first remark, there is an AK bear guide whose name escapes me now and I'm sure more than one, who carried a 45-70 successfully for clean-up work on browns.

Last edited by goodnews; 12/24/09.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It's only Merry Christmas from me today to all of you guys!!!

Ray

Part of my family grew up in Twin Falls.My uncle ran the International Harvester dealership for years and sold it a few back.The rest of that clan moved up to the Sun Valley area and none of them were hunters.My first hunt was in the Selway in the very early 50's back when Elk hunting was at it's best in my opinion.

Merry Christmas.

Jayco

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
I would love to have pictures of recovered bullets from my 45-70 to show you. I don't because I have always gotten complete pass throughs and have never recovered a bullet from a game animal from my 45-70--and this includes four bison. I have a recovered a bullet from a bison on a broadside shot behind the shoulder, however. It is a factory soft from a 505 Gibbs.

That's what happens with a correct bullet and load.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1_deuce, 57 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,032
Posts18,500,580
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.