Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
When they say all reticles are illuminated do they mean that every NF scope needs batteries. Sorry but that is the only type of illuminated scopes I have ever seen.

Also can someone explain the NP-1RR Reticle to me? Way too busy reticle. Thank you gents.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
MOA That's all some are concerned about ??? How about a scope that does what it's supposed to do.

The light-gun 1000 yrd. world record was shot with a Nightforce BR scope ?? Maybe he was shooting downhill with a tail wind ?? Go figure !!

How many people are actually shooting at a 1,000 yards to take advantage of all this MOA that's needed ??

How many times have you twisted those Leupold knobs to get on center and said to yourself am I doing something wrong because I not getting there, 9 clicks to the right and I haven't moved yet. Do that with a Nightforce and your where your supposed to be.

I think specific application for a scope is what will determine what someone should buy not a brochure ad.

Dino

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
where you need elevation is for a rifle that will see duty from 100 yards to 1k, 1 mile or so. if you are mainly shooting one distance, you can get a sloped base to get you there with little elevation dialed into the scope.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
500_416dino,

Just curious: What Leupold did you twist 9 clicks to the right and it didn't move?

Thanks.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi Mule Deer

I am not Leupold Bashing I am just speaking from personal experience not other peoples experience, my favorite hunting rifle has a Leupold VX2 scope sitting on it.

I had a LR 8.5x25 recently that was sitting on a TUBB 2000, that's one I was speaking about. Once you got it on center the scope was fine it was just getting there, I just don't believe there adjustments are as accurate as others.

I also have a 4.5x14 that has a mind of it's own-very inconsistant with the adjustments.

On a hunting rifle that's a different story, once you sight in I think Leupolds are great about staying dead on, however in a competion rifle that you could be making adjustments throughout a stage the Nightforce in my opinion is more consistant with adjustments.

Dino

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dino,

Thanks for the information. I was mostly wondering if you were talking about one of the VX models or a Mark 4.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
John I can gine you an example;

VX-III 8.5X25 LRT.

This past season I struggled in F-Class, my scores were lower than my average. I'd be shanking "8"s at 600yards, "6&5"s at 1000 yards which have been driving me nuts trying to figure out why. At the last 3X600 match of the season my first match sucked. Second match, light constant wind out of aprox 7:30. I'm pecking at the "X" ring when a shot goes out into the 8 ring at 9:00 (into the wind crazy) I shrug it off thinking I had a bad break, hold the same POA. Next shot hit the same spot (nicked the 1 1/2" disc we use to mark targets with) Well chit, that ain't good. I aim at the 8 at 3:00, shot nicks the X ring at 3.00. Same POA, nick the sighter disc again. Same POA again, this time I hit exactly where I aimed (8 ring @ 3:00). I finish up that match, getting really fustrated with the rifle. So before the last match of the day I take both knobs (elevation and windage) run them from end to end about 5 times each. Reset my 600 yard zero, shoot one of my best 20 round scores of the season. That was the biggest issue. One minute I'd look like a genius, next match I'd shoot like a rookie...

Scope had a POI shift issue.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
AJ,

I don't doubt your experience, because I have had the same thing happen with some ( but not all) Leupold VX scopes. However, the original poster's question was about a Mark 4 vs. a Nightforce. Which is why I asked "dino" about which Leupold scope had the sloppy adjustments--and it was a VX.

One thing I often see on this forum is something like, "I looked through a Zeiss Conquest and it was a LOT brighter than my Leupold." Turned out the guy had a 20+-year-old Leupold. NONE of the Leupold scopes were even multi-coated 20+ years ago, and yet this guy is comparing a new Conquest with a Leupold that's not only single-coated but been hunted for 20+ years?

I have plenty of experience with Leupolds so don't believe every model has perfectly repeatable adjustments, or the best optics in the world. But I do like to compare apples to apples, and the original question was about Mark 4 and Nightforce. On this thread people have thrown in a bunch of examples of experiences with VX's (including you) but there have been very few specific comparisons of experiences with both Leupold Mark 4's and Nightforces.

Which is why I asked my question.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My vote and money is for the Nightforce. For my line of work either are more than adequate. I have both the Mark 4 and an NXS on work rigs but the NXS scoped rig gets the nod first.

[Linked Image]

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I have three Leupolds and two Nightforce scopes. For shooting at longer ranges off of a bench, I do prefer the Nightforce but my Leupolds all work well for what I use them for. I have an 8x32NXS and a 12x42BR by Nightforce. My Leupolds are 3x9VX2,4.5x14VX3 and a 4x12VX2. The Leupolds do not track nearly as accurately as my Nighforces do but for what I use them for, they dont need to. As long as I am adjusting the turrets clockwise, the Leupolds are ok. If I am having to adjust them counter-clockwise, I have to go past and then back clockwise to the setting I need(or the first shot will usually be off). This is not a problem for me as I leave them set after zeroing the rifles. I use these for my hunting rifles as they are lighter and I dont plan on having to adjust them in the field. They all seem to hold zero very well after setting them.

My Nightforce scopes dont seem to care which way I turn them. They track perfectly clockwise or counter-clockwise. I use these on a target rifle and a varmint rifle I have. Both of these guns are very heavy and I dont pack them very far. Normally I shoot them from a bench or bipod. I have the NPR2 reticles in both and they are great for shooting longer ranges. I do think they would be too "busy" for me in most hunting scenarios though. These scopes are heavy. Around 36oz if I recall correctly.

If you are one who wants to constantly run the turrets up and down for different yardages then I think the Nightforces are better. If you want lighter weight and are not going to constantly be adjusting the scope then there is nothing wrong with the Leupolds.

As far as the glass is concerned, both seem to be very clear to me. There may be better glass out there but I have not ever felt hindered by the glass in either the Nightforce or the Leupold.

I think they both have good products. Some just fit different applications better.

Dave

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Fotis: No - in my experience they are NOT worth the extra expense.
I have several Leupold 8.5x25 variable scopes as of today and dozens of 6.5x20's and 6x18's Leupolds - and I have as yet to get an inkling of anything they can't do that I need done!!!
The Nightforce scopes are fine products and when I lived out in the Puget Sound Country I used to run with the Nightforce people - I have shot through Nightforce scopes many, many times both back then and nowadays, when a friend shows up with one!
I own a host of NightForce spotlight and accessory type products - but never would through down the extra bucks for their scopes.
I had occassion earlier this year to shoot a friends Rifle that was scoped with a Leupold MARK 4 8.5x25x50mm ER/T M1 - that was a fantastic scope both at the range and in the field (Varminting).
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Absolutely worth the extra money. I have 3 Nightforce scopes at this time. Had 2 of the benchrest models in the past and upgraded to the NF NXS. Tracking, clarity,eye relief, customer service, all beter than Leupold. Well CS is the same.
I have had over a dozen Leupold scopes and they don't even compare.
Here is a little reading on Leupold from some one in the know:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ub...in=102416&Number=1119938#Post1119938

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i've run the MK4s side by side with the NXSs.

i don't see the eye relief advantage going to the NF.
i prefer Leupold's TMR retical
i like smaller objectives. even the 50mm NF scopes are huge. their 2.5-10x32 looks nice though. if i get another NF, this is the one.

don't get me wrong, i do like my NF, but i still wouldn't trade my MK4s. i like having both. my long range pig wears the NF, and anything i have to carry gets something smaller.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

One thing I often see on this forum is something like, "I looked through a Zeiss Conquest and it was a LOT brighter than my Leupold." Turned out the guy had a 20+-year-old Leupold. NONE of the Leupold scopes were even multi-coated 20+ years ago, and yet this guy is comparing a new Conquest with a Leupold that's not only single-coated but been hunted for 20+ years?

grin Tis true...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If my mind isn't completely shot, you shoot with a lot of LE sniper types in various competitions in your AO? What scope do they usually run? Most I see around here is a plain jane 3-9x40 or maybe a 3.5-10x40 Leupold simply as a cost factor. Mark 4s are rare.

I chose to build my own rig so I went with the NXS for much the same reasons you laid out..

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yes I shoot and put on quite a few rifle matches.
NF is the scope I most see. US Optics, S&B,and Leupold round out the rest of the field for the most part.
I'm very hard on my scopes, from matches, field use , horse back into the back country and all kinds of hunting. I need a tough scope so I go with NF as much as I can.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Th Nightforce adjusts in MOA and not IPHY like the Leupy.

I'm wondering where the IPHY came from?
Every Mark 4 Leupold scope I have ever seen had 1/4" MOA adjustments...

From the website...
Finger-adjustable �-MOA windage and elevation adjustments with audible, tactile clicks.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

If yo say that yours adjusts in MOA I believe you, but I have worked with a number of Leupolds and thoug they were marked MOA on the turrets they acctualy adjusted in IPHY. I have to woth one that adjusted MOA

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have tested the adjustments out to over 600 yards and the click valus seem to track MOA according to my EXBAL program. Maybe someone here has actually talked to someone at Leupold and can anwer with authority.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

240 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 257 mag, 160user, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 17 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.