Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
MattW Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So I bought an absolutely mint 27-2 for what I would think was a shooter price. I bought it online and just received it in the mail. When the fella sold it to me he said it looked to be unfired and looking at it now it surely looks like it is in fact unfired. Will I be commiting a terrible crime when I take it out next week and shoot it or would it be criminal not to?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't buy guns I don't intend to shoot but if you can not shoot it and turn it into a shooter plus cash I wouldn't blame you.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Criminal not to fire it.

The only thing I do in deference to the age of my Smith 27 no dash (53 years old this year) is to feed it cast bullets only, and then only at moderate velocities.

I would not use your gun, or mine for that matter, for shooting 125gr JHP's over heavy doses of H110 or Win 296. That's a sure fire recipe for throat and forcing cone erosion and will needlessly shorten the life of the gun. Buy a 686 or a Ruger GP 100 for that kind of work.

In short, feed it cast bullets, Unique or 2400 powder and Hoppes #9 and it'll keep you happy for so long as you have it.

Here's my Model 27 no dash, wearing Corian grips by Don Collins:

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Oregon45; 12/26/09.
MattW Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I've never bought a gun I didn't intend to shoot either, it just got here and I looked at it and it kind of made me pause a bit. I am going to shoot it though. I actually only shoot cast 158gr bullets over 2400 in my 357's, I'm in Canada and all we get to do with our handguns is shoot targets so there is no need to sweat bullet choice or load hot.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MattW
I've never bought a gun I didn't intend to shoot either, it just got here and I looked at it and it kind of made me pause a bit. I am going to shoot it though. I actually only shoot cast 158gr bullets over 2400 in my 357's, I'm in Canada and all we get to do with our handguns is shoot targets so there is no need to sweat bullet choice or load hot.
We are all waiting with bated breath to see some pictures. smile

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They're not terribly scarce. I don't see the harm in firing it, all you want.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So I bought an absolutely mint 27-2 for what I would think was a shooter price. I bought it online and just received it in the mail. When the fella sold it to me he said it looked to be unfired and looking at it now it surely looks like it is in fact unfired. Will I be commiting a terrible crime when I take it out next week and shoot it or would it be criminal not to?

I decided a long time ago that any value lost from my hunting, shooting & enjoying my firearms would have to be dealt with by my children at the will reading & estate settlement - just not my problem - go shoot that old Smith!

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Odessa

I decided a long time ago that any value lost from my hunting, shooting & enjoying my firearms would have to be dealt with by my children at the will reading & estate settlement - just not my problem - go shoot that old Smith!
I tend to agree, but on somewhat rare models in mint shape I make an exception and don't shoot them, or at least not much.

MattW Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Here is a picture of it, it has the 3 T's and it came in this presentation case
[Linked Image]
Here it is with a few others... in order, 29-2, 57 no dash, 27-2, Colt Python, 19-3
[Linked Image]

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Shoot 'er...you'll be glad you did. And keep it.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by GF1
Shoot 'er
In this case I agree. It's very sweet, but it's not particularly rare in that condition, so it's value is mainly in being a new S&W from when they were still making them right.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'd shoot that fine S&W revolver. The Model 27 is one of my favorite handguns. One thing is sure; someone, someday is going to shoot that 27. It may as well be you. Enjoy!

Last edited by TNrifleman; 12/27/09.

μολὼν λαβέ
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Matt, if you don't mind asking what did you end up paying? I saw one just like you describe at a gun show last month. They were asking $1250 which seemed kind of high. Next time I see one, I want to be ready if it's a good price.

MattW Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
McInnis, PM sent. Well guys, thanks for the input, I do believe I'll have to swing by the range on the way to Christmas at Grandmas this afternoon.

MattW Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well I went and shot it this afternoon, shoots real good, as well as I can anyway. I'll try to get a picture up later.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello
I shoot mine. Of course mine are Pre-27's. Here is the Original .357 Magnum being a Regsitered Magnum made in 1935 and his Grand son a Pre-27 made in 1955.. shoot em like you stole em..Thegeneral.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Pre-27_Case_1.JPG[/img]

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
MattW Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Oregon45 and Generalstuart, beautiful guns and great pictures, thank-you.
Here's the target I shot Sunday with the 27-2. I first shot one at my steel gong at 25 yards and when it hit that center I shot a couple cylinders full at this box at 40 yards. There's sort of two groups with one from the second, lower group flying high and joining the first group. This is about as well as I can shoot right now but I'm still learning.
[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
generalstuart, nice cokes on the nickel m27. Sweet rigs and grips. Thanks for the pics.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hello MattW
By the Looks of those shots you are pulling the gun a Bit. Try using less finger on the trigger. Many try to Place the trigger in the crook of their index finger and that is what causes Pulled shot's like that. Simply Place your Index finger tip on the trigger and squeeze Lightly to improve your groups. I hope this helps, Thegeneral.

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=buttstock]generalstuart, nice cokes on the nickel m27. Sweet rigs and grips. Thanks for the pics./quote]

Hello Buttstock

Thank's, I appreciate your kind words. I actually had the factory Coke Profile grips before I got the Nickel Pre-27 just like I had The Original Walter Roper Custom grip's befotre I located my First year Registered Magnum. Kind of like having the shoes and looking for the right feet to fit in them...Thegeneral.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,354 guests, and 1,441 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,167
Posts18,484,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.