Print Thread
Hop To
Page 298 of 1,842 1 2 296 297 298 299 300 1841 1842
S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good catch Dave. How far do you live from LOTW?

No Dave...you are not wrong to enjoy those things....I bought a new F250 in 1974....ugly green...rode like a tank and was simple beauty at its finest. Navy Beans hit 58.00 and I paid cash at the dealer....at 17. I often think back to the days of that truck and that kind of life...:) Now our kids have to work till they are 55 just to pay their share of the government burden....and thats if they stop piling it on right now. Change.....<shudder>
Best to everyone
Scott

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Good days work, Dave. What was the hot bait?

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Bait didn't seem to matter too much Bill, we had chubs, live shiners & frozen shiners. The live shiners have always been my favorite to fish with but it was a really poor year for shiners, there are very few bait shops in the area that have any this year and if you can find some they are very small.

I honestly think the live chubs outperformed the shiners yesterday, for us anyways.

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by SSB
Good catch Dave. How far do you live from LOTW?

about 25 miles.

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm headed back out hunting elk tomorrow morning, went saturday and had an interesting experience happen.
we pulled up to the valley the elk hang in when there is lots of snow, there is another guy parked on the road who points at the herd of 24 cows/calves. perfect we both will get ours. they were standing 175 yards away just milling around. I go to the back of the truck to suit up and ge my rifle, its about 5 mins into shooting hours, and I hear a horn honking and see flashing lights ahead of me from the other car. the guy bumped his panic button. my first thought was WTF? are you kidding me? needless to say the herd left for parts unknown. so we decided to give them a few days break before we go back. if that guy hadn't been there I would have had my cow first thing first day of the hunt.
oh well, thats the way it goes. my private land back up hunt is a wash as well, they took 12 cows in the last 2 weeks and haven't cut a track in 4 days, so they moved off for a while too.

way to go on the fish Dave! I'm anxious to see if the crappies aare biting on maple when I get back up there.

heading back tomorrow to try and nail an elk, will keep you posted

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Alright good luck Ryan!

stay dry, stay warm.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good luck Ryan, sounds like a blast!! No crappies on maple either. My cousins been over there and all over for the last week and fishing has been poor that way. Now ND got some nice fish for the bucket, where were you at Dave? i got a new portable i need to break in. Thinking taking the widetrak out this week to try and find some fish.

It is a silly fish that is caught twice with the same bait!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
we were in a little clump of houses about 1/3-1/2 mile west of the dnr reef group of houses.

We got our fish but I'm done with that spot.

If I was gonna go now I'd set up on the north east side of the dnr reef houses.

But if you are going portable with a sled I guess I've heard good things about the 5 mile too.

It's hard getting around out there, snowmobile is the best way now.

Springsteel finally plowed a road yesterday too if that helps you decide on anything, not sure how far north they went. DNR for sure.

Maybe further.

There are houses on whisky already where you guys were set up last year.

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Hang in there Ryan. You'll get your elk.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Bait didn't seem to matter too much Bill, we had chubs, live shiners & frozen shiners. The live shiners have always been my favorite to fish with but it was a really poor year for shiners, there are very few bait shops in the area that have any this year and if you can find some they are very small.

I honestly think the live chubs outperformed the shiners yesterday, for us anyways.

Shinners have been in short supply around here for several years now. Are you just using a bare hook or do you use a lure of some type?

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
i heard 5 was really hot yesterday. i would like to hit south tip area, don't have to go all the way to whiskey for good action hopefully. not sure how the cracks are out there yet. i wish they would plow it all the way to south tip like last year!

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
They will, if they haven't already.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would say we got about 16" here and to celebrate I went out and broke the sled sick. The bolt that holds the primary on twisted off. Oh well, I need to chase roosters one or two more times then off to Disneyworld so I have some time to get the sled fixed.

Dad bought a brand spankin' new plow this year for his stores and I plowed a little with it. Wow. That is one thing that has improved since the 70s. I plowed a ton with an old straight blade and let me tell you, the ones that scoop and vee are a definite improvement. Much, much easier to control dingleberries (you know, those little lines of overflow show that come off the edges of the plow).

I totally agree on the direction this country is headed with our current administration.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill

Shinners have been in short supply around here for several years now. Are you just using a bare hook or do you use a lure of some type?

I use a lot of this kind of stuff

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Is that on your office desk or in the fish house dave, you drilling through the floor at work and jiggin' today? what kind of plow are you using, i would like to get one.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
You would have to go back in time to get a plow like that one lol!!

It's an old meyers straight blade with hydraulic lift & tilt.

I wouldn't put a plow on a daily driver.

It takes a special kind of truck to withstand the abuse that comes with plowing, especially the way i drive! I should actually wear a helmet when I plow grin

Something clever here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
buschpilot, I stole those photo's from the JB Lures website.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I should actually wear a helmet when I plow grin

You should actually wear a helmet all the time. grin

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
and quit licking the windows too!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Funny Tzone! laugh

Maybe there would be a way to mount the bear head on a helmet. That would be pretty cool. But that would probly make the bear very mad. mad

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
Page 298 of 1,842 1 2 296 297 298 299 300 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 219DW, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,440
Posts18,489,455
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.