Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If the past year has taught us anything, it's that we can't take reloading components for granted anymore to just be available exactly when we want it;...

....and laying in a reasonable supply(it ain't hoarding if you're gonna use it!)for your favorite calibers is probably a good idea....especially when dealing with cartridges like the 375H&H and the 375 Ruger which(let's face it)may seem popular with us,but are really not found routinely everywhere.

If you have no brass.....you're sunk...

Last edited by BobinNH; 12/25/09.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
375 H&H stretch? when cows fly. How about the 300 H&H or 220 Swift?
Every "expert" for 50 years has been repeating the same BS about these two stretching. I get six reloads from my soft Remington 300 H&H brass w/o any trimming. By then I toss them because 300 H&H is about as hard to find as an Obama speech on TV.

I bought some of the nickle loaded Federal 300 H&H (should be gold) and I don't think it will ever wear out. I stopped counting reloads after 10 popping out a 168 TSX at 3100 fps from my ancient 721.
Just neck size em'. load em' and boom. Case prep consisted of chamfering the neck.

Still have two new (c.1950s) boxes of primed WRA 300 H&H match cases. Probably will never use em' but they are pretty.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Go to any cabelas, get some factory .375 ruger. Seeing as factory loads have no more pressure than .375 H&H you shouldnt have any trouble reloading them after one time around.

The one thing I look forward to with technology is to travel back in time to hunt mastodons!
C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by partisan1911
I can't believe it has been so hard to find brass for this rifle! I talked to Hornady and they told me they won't get around to making any more until next summer.

If true ... it explains why so many chamberings have a tough time being established in overseas countries. Despite being released awhile back, a friend that built a 416Ruger here had to use 375Ruger brass and import the dies ... local importer is still awaiting their shipment.
Cheers...
Con

P
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Going to Cabelas etc isn't as easy as it sounds up here. There was only one box of factory loaded ammo available for 360 miles when I went looking. Fred meyer was selling a box for $86! I guess that is why we all have several rifles to take hunting.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by oldman1942
"Lack of widely available brass and ammo is certainly a major problem for a new cartridge to be successful, esp when going up against an all-time classic like the H&H."

That sez it all. The 375 H&H has been and will be around long after the Ruger is a fond (?) memory.

Same guys who pass up a 308 for a 30TC would buy a one company rifle & cartridge.

If someone wants to try/use a .375Ruger or 30TC, how does that effect your jaded and ornery existence in any negative way?

Were me, I'd try a Sleep Number Bed and start with the soft settings.

Last edited by battue; 12/26/09.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Partisan1911,
For all the trouble you had with shipping, anybody would think you lived in Canada. U.S. export regulations put so many restrictions on products sought by hunters and shooters in Canada, and the market is so small here compared to the U.S., that the majority of suppliers won't even consider dealing with customers on our side of the border...not a rant, just a sad (for me) but true statement of fact.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I for one am glad Alaska is inconvient to get to/ship to. I love it and hope it keeps its far away flavor! As to the brass frustration, I can identify. The 9.3x62, .376 Steyr, .416 Taylor and .458 Lott all gave me fits at the start. I bought just enough factory to keep my rifles shooting, and then bought several hundred factory brass and have let any remaining boxes of factory ammo gather dust in the "reference" ammo can. I wonder what Winchester is thinking? I couldn't find .458 Win Mag to make .416 Taylor and finally bought properly head stamped brass, no better than Winchester but at least out there! I have two hundred .375 Ruger brass that were fortunately available with reloading dies when I got my rifle. I have yet to fire a round of factory ammo in the rifle, and frankly don't miss the expense. The .416 Ruger is likely to cause the same frustration, as I will likely get that "twin/cousin" to my .375 Ruger African in .416 Alaskan flavor. I know there is a moose with my name on it waiting to try out a big-bore Ruger Hawkeye!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The "inconvenience" people have described in this thread refers to officials failing to recognize that Alaska is a State and that we have the same rights as every other US citizen.

Why would you prefer that we be mistreated by the ignorant?

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
How can you be a state if you can see Russia from there ?

smile

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Failing to recognize that Alaska is a state doesn't surprise me, the same people think that Africa is a country.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
P-1911,
Have you tried other sources such as Cabellas, Huntingtons, Midway..I have always gotten service from them. The only brass that was ever back ordered from Huntingtons for me was 10.75x68 and that was because Lb404 on AR bought out the stock, so I had to wait about 30 days for brass! smile smile Oh well I sold him the 10.75x68 to start with so can't complain to bitterly about that! smile smile Keep looking, you will find some.

Last edited by atkinson; 12/31/09.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by colorado

smile

Chuck

Probably the same way as if you can see Mexico or Canada from your state...

Dennis

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by colorado

smile

Chuck

What I like about that quote is Sarah Palin never said that, that came from the lying bi-ch from saturday night live and now the dipsh_ts of the world think Sarah said it, and never did. I get torqued at the people that know nothing about the bridge to no where, I guaranty if you lived there and had to pay the prices because they made a laughing stock out of the bridge to no where you would be pissed too. By the By, the no-where is to the only airport that brings in all the food and everything else that the town needs. The only place they could put a runway near the town was on and island. So what people really want is to believe a lie, nothing new about that, right?

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The New York Times reported that the bridge was "...from the Mainland to an island with a population of 14 people...", and that report was repeated by the Washington Post and LA Times. It just so happens that I live there, and flew back Tuesday night from down south. Trust me...it is from one island, with a population about 12-14,000, to the island with the airport. And my wife and I drove onto the ferry, roade across, parked, then reversed the direction -- kind of necessary as we had both been to the hospital to see Dr's and have work done. Cost us a mere $41 for ferry rides and three days of parking.

It's good that we get so much help from people who don't live here or have a clue...

Dennis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by muledeer
The New York Times reported that the bridge was "...from the Mainland to an island with a population of 14 people...", and that report was repeated by the Washington Post and LA Times. It just so happens that I live there, and flew back Tuesday night from down south. Trust me...it is from one island, with a population about 12-14,000, to the island with the airport. And my wife and I drove onto the ferry, roade across, parked, then reversed the direction -- kind of necessary as we had both been to the hospital to see Dr's and have work done. Cost us a mere $41 for ferry rides and three days of parking.

It's good that we get so much help from people who don't live here or have a clue...

Dennis

I have come to the conclusion that the American People fit the scriptural description of "With itching ears they will believe a lie."

I know that anyone that passes on a lie like this is lower than whale sh_t. Hope it makes all you low lives that pass this crap on feel like the sh_t you are. And you still believe the main stream media for anything?

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I have three boxes I would send you if you want to pay shipping from Texas.

You can email me at ggriffith2suddenlink.net to work out details.

Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
From a Canadian viewpoint:

I'm wondering if Hornady has a tough time keeping production up to expectations or demands just now? A few months ago I visited my favorite gun shop (an hour's drive and one of the largest dealers in Canada)and they already had a used .375 Ruger Alaskan for sale. I asked if they had brass available for reloading... they did... about 200. The price was right on gun and brass, but I don't care for the rubberized stock.

I was back there about two weeks ago, for a number of reasons, and made inquiry about .458", 500gr Interlocs. They had none. The manager of that department said, and I quote, "We've had real problems getting our orders filled by Hornady lately. We sent an order worth $40,000 (US)and got $4,000 worth of products!" We discussed it a bit, and agreed that perhaps some of the problem is demand far exceeding their production capacity just now, with all the new products they've introduced in the past few years. Their product and prices are very good and interest is very high among buyers.

Could that be part of the situation?

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Last edited by CZ550; 01/02/10.

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My guess is that they didn't think the demand for it would be as big as it is. One think About Alaska, it can be tough to get to some place so you can get to some place. Seems to me that Island could use an Airport, why not just build one? Then again helicopters can land any where I fly those too. Dennis I would be happy to fly you around any time.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,096 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,664
Posts18,493,675
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.