N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Prowler!!

grin

Happy 2010 everybody!!

It's cold in Duluth this morning, colder back home though, I heard it was -35 this morning back home!

Something clever here.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That would be fun Jim. It is fun wheeling at Chickenbuck, although I have not had my 4 wheeler up there. I've been riding with dad in the Prowler. He took the bench seat out of his portable fish house and mounted it on the back. Works very well.

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is very cold.

I shouldn't even say this because I know I will not hear the end of it. My Trailblazer wouldn't start this morning. mad
You would think when you buy a vehicle new in Minnesota it should come with a block heater. Guess I never thought about it when I bought it. This is the first time it wouldn't start. frown

I am out of order until further notice. My "stupid people" filter needs cleaning and my "give a damn" batteries have run out.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yikes, well maybe you could run over to L&M & pick up a magnetic heater to stick on the oil pan for the rest of this winter. we had an expedition without a block heater once & put one of those magnetic ones on there & it worked well.

Something clever here.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Only minus 8 here this morning. Happy New Year to one and all.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Prowler!!

grin

Happy 2010 everybody!!

It's cold in Duluth this morning, colder back home though, I heard it was -35 this morning back home!

Oh thats right! It's a prowler. ooops.

Cold is right! My truck said - 31* last night just after dark. She started right up this morning though without being plugged in even. But it is a chevy afterall..... whistle

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My wife's auto is a 2002 Trailblazer. Great cars!
27 degrees here.I know that's nothing for you guys from the northern climes but it's damn cold for South Carolina.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
WOW you guys to the north have my Greatest respect.. Just got in from Iowa at -14 with a -22 windchill I spent just over an hour out at one spell and it was COLD.. Been since I was a boy since I've seen below -10 and it was COLD. Yes I'm a whimp...

I need to catchup with you all on the latest now but I had to say what do you wear to stay out? How do you handle -40 for long spells? I had on longjohns, 3 sweatshirts jeans and a heavy vest, yes I had more in the car but it was too far to get back to. Oh I had on the MadBomber hat too. Would my coveralls and 4 in one parka had made that much difference? I was Frozen for another hour inside before I finally got warm.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Ok I need to go stock the stove again with some wood trying to get a bed of coals to last the night. But I forgot Happy New Years awhile ago!!!!

Congratulations to Ryan Great Story and Nicely done on the elk!!!

Also another idea I had while I was in the cold how about someone designs a solar powered, electric backup heat pump for cars and trucks/tractors and the like instead of having to plug them in.. Now where can ya find the magnet kind Dave? First time winter for me with the car and I was wishin for one and hadn't made an install yet.

-4 here at home but 2 of 3 cars are in the garage and its nice in there. Much past -7 or so and I get nervous about how a vehicle starts.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Wabo, Here's what works for me in extreme cold.

1) Stay inside..I found it works quite well. If I do have to venture out:

2) Dress in layers; Moisture wicking base layers, then wool or heavy weight fleece, topped of with a Parka with a hood and wind breaking membrane. A Blaclava for the head/face. Two pair of socks, one moisture wicking the other heavy wool. Pack boots with felt liners. Don't forget the chopper mitts and liners for your hands.

Notice the term moisture wicking appears several times. That eliminates cotton.

IC B3

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
and carhart extremes grin

Something clever here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one week before school starts.
my body is toying with what could be a cold, but should shake it in the next day or two.

ice auger is still broke though, dang. what to do what to do

ditto on the carharts!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ryan, try and find a good used one. Too bad you're not closer, my SIL has talked about getting rid of his. He hasn't used it for at least 3 years.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Grizzly Bill,

Thanks, I always wear my polypro longjohns and thats what my coveralls are I have 5 pairs of those and two pair of the blizzard proof bibs. I just couldn't believe thinking about -40 or better that you guys deal with how do you venture out for an entire day in that?

When hunting geese I can last all day down to -3 or so but that extra 10 seemed Brutal cold and I was shocked how cold I was. Do you guys wear a down vest under the coveralls? What kind of parka do you wear for snow machine riding for a day?

Just found another deal last week I've ordered 2 of these, M65 field jacket new with liner in a XXLong which will go down to my knees, picked those up in 3XL to go over my coveralls. 30 bucks each New.. See how I like them I guess later this week if they showup.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ok boys and girls, I need your input. I'm in the market for a new camera. My Nikon crapped out on me this weekend. It's 5 years old and only a 5MP. Not worth sending it in to get repaired. Want a point and shoot of at least 10 MP's with a 10X optical lens. I want to keep the price down to around $200. My short list includes a Canon Power SX120IS and a Nikon Coolpix L100.

Olympus makes a waterproof, shockproof model that would be nice, but sell for over $300.

What's everyone at Deer Camp using?

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I use a simple kodak easy share point & shoot 9.2MP

No complaints.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Uncle_Dusty
Ranger. frown

Uncle Dusty

grin

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill
Ryan, try and find a good used one. Too bad you're not closer, my SIL has talked about getting rid of his. He hasn't used it for at least 3 years.

REALllllly? What is it? How much....remember, I'm cheap. laugh

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill

REALllllly? What is it? How much....remember, I'm cheap. laugh

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It's a Jiffy Stealth, 3HP. Not sure what he would want for it, but I'll check.

Page 304 of 1,842 1 2 302 303 304 305 306 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

389 members (160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 34 invisible), 2,033 guests, and 1,072 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,374
Posts18,488,432
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.